Do You Say Wind Or Wind?

jacloc

Featured Posts

Oh! that's told me then. I heard someone tell me they were going to wind (as in tinned) in the next windy hole and I suppressed the urge to laugh and say "EH! it's WIND, as in wind up a clock - a rotation" blush.png

Right then, thanks to all for helping with that question, the answer is as clear as mud it seems!

I would rather say wind, as in a clock, but maybe I should make up an expression instead, so no one rolls their eyes at me!

No one's mentioned the "long and winding road" yet .... which I take to mean a road that twist and turns. Which is often what seems to happen in winding holes. So I'll carry on pronouncing wind to rhyme with dined (not dinned).

Oh, and just heard on the Mariella Frostrup's Open Book programme on Radio4; a somewhat tortured young author, Grace McCleen, used the rare word "conflictual", which I'm going to try and insert into conversation the next chance I get.

Edited by Graham!

I'm sure I must have said this last time this topic came up, but...

Alan was approached by another boater as he was winding the paddles on our way down Hatton a year or so back. "Are you winding?", said the other boater. Alan looked puzzled, so the bloke repeated himself, Alan still didn't understand what the bloke was saying - wasn't it obvious that he was winding the paddles up?

Eventually the bloke asked, "are you turning the boat here?".

I know the story is that the old boaters used the wind to turn the boats (just how was it done, has anyone done this?), but I think it is more likely that people developed different pronunciations because of the potential misunderstanding. I used to teach in a school in London where the difference between oral and aural exams was made clear in pronouncing them as 'oral' and 'ow-ral' - now of course they are called 'speaking' and 'listening' - much easier.

When you turn a boat do you wind it (to rhyme with kind) as in to turn it like winding a clock?

Or

Do you wind it (to rhyme with tinned) using the blowy stuff to help?

Neither, I turn it around.

We tend to turn our boat round...

Me too.

Edited by blackrose

I almost started a thread to ask this! I am glad to see that I am not the only one who

1. Wondered which was generally accepted

and

2. Says wind (as in clock) because to me it is logical I am turning.

I also sometimes do it on still days so winding (as in blowy stuff) wouldn't apply clapping.gif

I turn the boat, using the forward and reverse to gears, to face in the opposite direction.

help.gif

You have used sixteen words, of which one is totally misplaced, to replace just one.

Are you by any chance involved in politics?

No one's mentioned the "long and winding road" yet .... which I take to mean a road that twist and turns. Which is often what seems to happen in winding holes. So I'll carry on pronouncing wind to rhyme with dined (not dinned).

Oh, and just heard on the Mariella Frostrup's Open Book programme on Radio4; a somewhat tortured young author, Grace McCleen, used the rare word "conflictual", which I'm going to try and insert into conversation the next chance I get.

You may have a battle on your hands ! This brings to mind the oft debated subject of stress. i.e. such words as Controversy / advertisement . My preference has always been for the stress to be on the second "O" in Controversy and the first "E " in advertisment, as opposed to the "i" . Bound to be Conflictual !

Without resorting to reference books, I would say that controversial can be pronounced either way, but that adverTISEment is incorrect. The rules of NZ pronunciation may, of course, be different,

Rolt tells the tale of asking a local how to pronounce Cholmondeston, having been told by someone that it's "Chumston". The local guy said "Chollermondeston", thereby adding a syllable to an already long word.

You have used sixteen words, of which one is totally misplaced, to replace just one.

May I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous post, I actually used seventeen words, which were a complete sentence but not necessarily in the right order.

The erroneous 'it' slipped in because of fingers working faster than brain or it may have been the exact opposite.

Neither, I turn it around.

Me too.

May be you turn it round but how do you pronounce neither!

But you have used 23 to point out the error of Athy's ways so what does that make you!clapping.gif

Last time we discussed this, didn't someone point out that turning a ship in a dock with the aid of lines is called winding as in the clock? Certainly a friend of mine who's an ex master mariner pronounces it that way.

I have always understood that turning a ship with ropes in a dock is winding as in clock, but on canals turning in a winding hole is to wind as in blow because turning with the wind was much easier than against, especially in the days before engines and such new fangled nonsense!

It's one of many examples where inland versus lumpy water have different uses for the same word. Ask your friend what a windlass is, and of course, what a turning basin is used forrolleyes.gif !

Howard

May be you turn it round but how do you pronounce neither!

But you have used 23 to point out the error of Athy's ways so what does that make you!clapping.gif

Right, of course - what other response would you expect from a Northerner?

Seriously, I did not use 23 words to replace one, I used them to give an explanation, so i guess "concise" could be another answer to your question. Oh, and I was not pointing out the eror of my own ways.

Edited by Athy

After lurking on this site for a while I feel the need to ask a question that has been bugging me for a while.

When you turn a boat do you wind it (to rhyme with kind) as in to turn it like winding a clock?

Or

Do you wind it (to rhyme with tinned) using the blowy stuff to help?

Or does it matter what you say as long as you get it pointing in the right direction?

Am I being daft in thinking about petty stuff like this?

Hope someone can set me right so I can say it right and not seem like a twerp!

I keep saying wind as in dined and keep be corrected that is it wind as in binned ;-), now I just say ''we need to find somewhere to turn the boat around' done :-)