Do You Say Wind Or Wind?

jacloc

Featured Posts

After lurking on this site for a while I feel the need to ask a question that has been bugging me for a while.

When you turn a boat do you wind it (to rhyme with kind) as in to turn it like winding a clock?

Or

Do you wind it (to rhyme with tinned) using the blowy stuff to help?

Or does it matter what you say as long as you get it pointing in the right direction?

Am I being daft in thinking about petty stuff like this?

Hope someone can set me right so I can say it right and not seem like a twerp!

Wot he said!

I believe it originated in the horse drawn days when the wind (blowy stuff) was used to assist in the turning of the boat.

That's what I've heard too. We say wind as in the blowy stuff.

There was a similar thread running about a year ago (probably one of many) and I said at the time:

"When I worked on the Kennet and Avon canal our old ganger - and believe me he was old - who used to work with a steam dredger in the old days when the canal was owned by the Great Western Railway, always refered to a place that a boat could turn as a winding 'ole as in mind. (How else could you turn a boat if the wind wasn't blowing.

There is a myth I must rescind
And that's to turn a boat you wynd
(In days of old a watch you wound
It made a sort of clicking sound)
And so my friends, if you don't mind
I'll find an 'ole where I can wind!

Having said that, how do you open a lock paddle? You wind it up with a windlass.

As my wife said, "Does it matter how it's pronounced?"

We have some boating friends and the husband says it one way and his wife the other."

So there you go.

Dave

I say wind (sounds like sinned)

But only because I haven't got the guts to say what I instinctively want to say

So I tend to say it through clenched teeth because it seems so wrong to me

When the wind is against you....it sure does make me scratch my head negotiating a boat turnaround.

Surely when the wind is against you (i.e.head to wind) that's when turning is easy!

Last time we discussed this, didn't someone point out that turning a ship in a dock with the aid of lines is called winding as in the clock? Certainly a friend of mine who's an ex master mariner pronounces it that way.

I suspect this one has to go in the irresolvable box.

I say wind as in winding a clock. But I also say skellington instead of skeleton. Some words are just yummier to say. tongue.png

My favourite place on the T&M is Wheelock for exactly the same reason.

Wheelock!

Gosh I feel better.