Home Made Pork Pies

CygnusV

Featured Posts

I've really enjoyed reading this recipes threadline. Apart from in the recent hot weather I've been making all of out own bread by hand and thoroughly enjoyed doin it too. I've also made lots of traditional Cornish pasties. My next target is to make a nice moist pork pie. I've seen various recipes on the internet and when the weather cools I'm going to have a go.

I wondered if any of you had a favourite recipe for pork pie that has proved consistently tasty and moist and is reasonably easy to make in a small galley. boat.gif

Hi,

From a pork pie enthusiast!!!

A little complicated but worth the trouble:

For the crust:

4oz strong white bread flour + 4oz plain white flour

Large knob of butter(walnut size)

Pinch of salt

1 fl oz milk

3oz lard

Filling

10 oz pork mince(not too lean)

4oz streaky bacon - finely diced

1tsp dried sage

1/2 tsp anchovy essence

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp ground mace

Salt(level tsp) and ground black pepper

Mix filling ingredients together

Mix flour and salt and rub in butter.

Place milk and lard into saucepan and heat until lard melted and hot.

Have deep muffin tray ready

Add lard mixture to flour and quickly mix into a dough. Divide into 2/3 and 1/3. Divide 2/3 bit into six and flatten - line each muffin hole moulding to tin with fingers.

Add filling but not too full. Divide 1/3 bit of dough into six - roll into circle big enough to cover pie. Brush edge with beaten egg and crimp onto pie. Don't worry if the pies look a bit rustic. You must work quickly before dough cools. Make a small hole in the top of each pie and brush top with beaten egg.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas 4 or 180 C for 30 minutes. Carefully ease pies out of tin and place in oven on rack for further 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

When you have tried first batch adjust filling seasoning to you own taste.

Voila!!! not bad for a fella!!!!!!!! eh!?

Hi,

From a pork pie enthusiast!!!

A little complicated but worth the trouble:

For the crust:

4oz strong white bread flour + 4oz plain white flour

Large knob of butter(walnut size)

Pinch of salt

1 fl oz milk

3oz lard

Filling

10 oz pork mince(not too lean)

4oz streaky bacon - finely diced

1tsp dried sage

1/2 tsp anchovy essence

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp ground mace

Salt(level tsp) and ground black pepper

Mix filling ingredients together

Mix flour and salt and rub in butter.

Place milk and lard into saucepan and heat until lard melted and hot.

Have deep muffin tray ready

Add lard mixture to flour and quickly mix into a dough. Divide into 2/3 and 1/3. Divide 2/3 bit into six and flatten - line each muffin hole moulding to tin with fingers.

Add filling but not too full. Divide 1/3 bit of dough into six - roll into circle big enough to cover pie. Brush edge with beaten egg and crimp onto pie. Don't worry if the pies look a bit rustic. You must work quickly before dough cools. Make a small hole in the top of each pie and brush top with beaten egg.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas 4 or 180 C for 30 minutes. Carefully ease pies out of tin and place in oven on rack for further 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

When you have tried first batch adjust filling seasoning to you own taste.

Voila!!! not bad for a fella!!!!!!!! eh!?

Great start! Thank you for this.

A lot of the recipes on the 'net seem to be for huge individual pies, and of course we haven't got the space. So this smaller recipe is much better.

If you don't mind I'm going to pinch your basic recipe and scale it up to produce of couple of single 1lb pies, but I'm also going to pinch part of another recipe I've found and make some traditional pigs trotter jelly to fill the pie afterwards.

What's prompted me to do this is my Old Man. He's in his late 80's and visits us every two weeks. He always brings a small gift. Over recent months he's been bringing us pork pies from a fella who does Dinnington and sometimes Stainforth market. They are to die for! Next time I speak to him I'll ask him to find out where the man makes them. They're worth a massive detour. I want to try and recreate his pies.

Thanks for the replies guys - Keep 'em coming! Stu

Edited by CygnusV

But, you'd die happy.

Quite right too!

To be a bit more serious though, as a treat I don't see it as any worse than a bacon sandwich or a lamb chop - or even too much beer or anything else for that matter. All the 'naughty bits' are generally still there, anonymously, in much of the processed foods that people buy, it's one of the reasons I generally make our own bread and Cornish pasties.

I firmly believe that we can eat and drink without too much worry (if we're healthy) just simply by using common sense and being moderate.

As Eubie Blake, aged 100 said, " If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself!"

Hi,

Was going to mention the jelly but didn't want to complicate things. If your using jelly don't put too much meat filling in the pie. Pour the warm jelly into the pie when the pie is cold - it sets better and doesn't find cracks to run out of.

Great start! Thank you for this.

A lot of the recipes on the 'net seem to be for huge individual pies, and of course we haven't got the space. So this smaller recipe is much better.

If you don't mind I'm going to pinch your basic recipe and scale it up to produce of couple of single 1lb pies, but I'm also going to pinch part of another recipe I've found and make some traditional pigs trotter jelly to fill the pie afterwards.

What's prompted me to do this is my Old Man. He's in his late 80's and visits us every two weeks. He always brings a small gift. Over recent months he's been bringing us pork pies from a fella who does Dinnington and sometimes Stainforth market. They are to die for! Next time I speak to him I'll ask him to find out where the man makes them. They're worth a massive detour. I want to try and recreate his pies.

Thanks for the replies guys - Keep 'em coming! Stu

Hi,

Was going to mention the jelly but didn't want to complicate things. If your using jelly don't put too much meat filling in the pie. Pour the warm jelly into the pie when the pie is cold - it sets better and doesn't find cracks to run out of.

Good point, I'll do that, thanks.