Engine Restoration - Seriously P'd Off

robkg

Featured Posts

I have spent the last three months (ten hours a day) restoring an extremely rare 1926 Dutch marine engine (Van Rennes) acquired from ebay.

This has been the subject of a thread on the semi diesel sub-forum.

I finished it a week or so ago and posted a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1JKFhUvfApk

This morning I arrived at work (where the engine is) to find that another individual who rents space in the same building as me, has moved my forklift truck and in doing so has managed to ram the engine. This has broken the cast iron governor casing right round and has bent the crossshaft (sort of camshaft) which drives the governor, the air start valve, the fuel pump and the oil pump.

I have not seen him yet to talk to but he did not leave me a note confessing to having done this.

NOT HAPPY

Hi Rob

I'm so sorry to hear this, I can well imagine the dedication and graft that has gone into the project from the few days we spent together when I worked on Grace. Hopefully an accident but I understand your anger, I'd be peed off too. Good luck with th repair.

Cheers

Dave

I would go ballistic mate, accident yes but....

Is it repairable, i know its cast and to get a new part i cant see be easy.

one hell of an engine that mate, well done on the resto.

wolly:)

if the casting is beyond repair the Bristol foundry (I think that's what its called) do cast iron and are well used to doing bits for marine engines. If it is smallish (up to a couple of kilos) I can cast it in bronze, if it only needs simple machining I may be able to do that.

Richard Cooper

Hi all,

Thanks for your nice comments.

Just a quick update:

Repairs are largely done including some nervous cold cast iron welding.

The other building occupant turned up this evening and whilst denying any knowledge of said damage, he explained that his friend drove the forktruck that night and must have hit my engine. He apologised profusely and immediately offered to reimburse any expense. So my faith in human nature is largely restored.

Rob, what an awful thing to happen. We missed you at Braunston this year - presumably you were busy finishing off your amazing restoration. I do hope you'll be able to repair it.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I wish I had managed to make it to Braunston but I stupidly committed to attending a speed awareness course on the Saturday.

if the casting is beyond repair the Bristol foundry (I think that's what its called) do cast iron and are well used to doing bits for marine engines. If it is smallish (up to a couple of kilos) I can cast it in bronze, if it only needs simple machining I may be able to do that.

Richard Cooper

Hi Richard, I have fortunately managed to repair the casting so won't need to have the part recast, but thanks for your help and kind offer.

Rob

That's one serious engine with a man's flywheel. Interesting how during the pre-start period it moo's like a cow, must be a Dutch thing!

Great job on the restoration though.