Yorkshire Gravel Barges - Happier days

Featured Posts

End of an era. I was carrying on the North waterways from 1991 to 1998, and saw traffic declining all the time. The problem was a mixture of lack of government investment in the infrastructure, aged vessels, and a lack of suitable legislation to allow the industry to grow. There have been many initiatives to get new traffics going, but the waterways are not since as a viable form of commercial transport. The crazy thing is that companies like Eddie Stobart and Hargreaves could have revolutionised things.

End of an era. I was carrying on the North waterways from 1991 to 1998, and saw traffic declining all the time. The problem was a mixture of lack of government investment in the infrastructure, aged vessels, and a lack of suitable legislation to allow the industry to grow. There have been many initiatives to get new traffics going, but the waterways are not since as a viable form of commercial transport. The crazy thing is that companies like Eddie Stobart and Hargreaves could have revolutionised things.

I think it very sad that the whim of those in power never saw fit to create an infrastructure worthy and viable. And I very much agree with your last sentence. Such a shame that our lives both indirectly and directly are controlled by commerce and none of it to our benefit however much we might hope or fool ourselves otherwise.

I wish this wasn't your first post, but welcome to our forum, and please stay.

Hi Pelican, the maritime bunkering company I work for had a new barge built and delivered last year, and I`m hoping they will replace the 1961 built boat that I`m presently skippering with something more up to date, much as I love her. There is still work on barges, just not near home for me. Previously I converted a couple of tanker barges for general cargo, mostly sand and gravel, and then worked for Rix maritime on estuary and coastal tankers. After that I did a bit more inland work with Hargreaves on the coal pans, and then on to Humber Tugs for a short spell. In between whiles I was a dredger deckhand on the Humber, then Barrow, then Grand Canaria and Tenerife. After that I went to Maritime college at South Shields on a Slater Fund grant and got an OOW ticket, and then on to my present bunkering job where I have been for seven years. I`ve enjoyed most of the jobs enormously, and count myself lucky to have dropped into such a varied career.

• Greenie 1

Works fine thanks for posting. It looks like it is actually at the terminal at Fleet Lane, Lemonroyd is just a little further along in the direction it,s heading at the end of the video.

Thanks again.

Edited by The Dog House

Works fine thanks for posting. It looks like it is actually at the terminal at Fleet Lane, Lemonroyd is just a little further along in the direction it,s heading at the end of the video.

Thanks again.

She had been at the terminal,she passed us on our way up from Castleford (scary) and had actually finished off loading by the time we caught her up and moored outside the marina.

Glad you enjoyed the clip.

• 6 years later...
8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

We're moored in Goole atm and have spent a very pleasant afternoon watching Fusedale heading off for a test cruise up the canal and back again. Also apparently Farndale was also out and about test running on the Ouse. Welcome back.

Excellent news.

14 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

We're moored in Goole atm and have spent a very pleasant afternoon watching Fusedale heading off for a test cruise up the canal and back again. Also apparently Farndale was also out and about test running on the Ouse. Welcome 

Farndale H is loaded and moored in Goole ready to go inland to Knostrop I presume on Monday.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Soon be time to change the thread title to

"Yorkshire Gravel Barges - Oh Happy Day!"

I'll make an adjustment. I agree with you that it's appropriate. If anyone moans, it's YOUR fault, d'you hear?

8 hours ago, Grace and Favour said:

And one can only guess how happy I am to see this thread resurrected with an about-face of news, and those wonderful pics!

And, just to gild the lily - we are at Lemonroyd, and the visitor moorings are reserved for Commercial Traffic 22<>24th September.

Deep joy

I prefer to moor the otherside of the bridge in the layby for the old colliery.