Keeping To The Side In Double Locks

DJW

Featured Posts

If you are first in does it really matter if the stern kicks out when you go into astern? Simply steer the stern back towards the wall. If your bow ends up halfway across the lock it will just be pushed across to where it should be when the second boat enters. I'm assuming that they would see this and enter the lock gently.

I'd say yes, it does matter. In certain situations (eg, really windy, or have to drive past a strong weir) the 2nd boat in may wish to come in at some speed, to get maximum steerage. Relying on nudging a boat out the way with another isn't great.

Having the other day had several times the privilege of being "second boat in", when I was steering a "Big Woolwich" ex-working boat, with its bows towering out of the water, I'm not convinced those I was sharing with would have appreciated be nudging them out the way, however gently!

It really is a great shame so many people are uncomfortable with "posting" both boats in side by side at the same time. It is by far the easiest way of getting two boats abreast into a double lock, usually, and really doesn't have to be any harder than getting one boat into a narrow lock.

I'd say yes, it does matter. In certain situations (eg, really windy, or have to drive past a strong weir) the 2nd boat in may wish to come in at some speed, to get maximum steerage. Relying on nudging a boat out the way with another isn't great.

Well, then in those certain situations just use one of the methods listed above. Otherwise don't worry about it. wink.png

Edited by blackrose

As long as there is a gap for the following boat to get the nose in, the boat already in the lock will be pushhed over to the side by the second boat coming in. The trick is in the speed with which the second boat comes in. Too slow' and it all comes to an undignified halt halfway in. Too fast, and the first boat doesn't have time to be pushed gently aside, and it all comes to a crashing halt.

Do it right, and it looks so smooth that gongoozlers actually applaud.

As has been mentioned before, going in side by side only works if the gates fully open, and all the brickwork on the entrance is straight. Trying to free a wedged pair is hard work...

The crash bang approach always works

not always! when Richard and I brought Baldock and Virginis back from Mountsorrel we entered a lock near Aylestone, Baldock ran up the top cill about a foot out from the wall, Virginis (me steering) entered under her own weight and jammed solid 15 feet from the cill. took us over half an hour to separate them!! then we had to part fill the lock to get Baldock off the cill before bringing Virginis in for a 2nd time!!

Well on Grand Union locks, (the double locks with which I am most familiar), you can usually see fairly clearly if the gates are fully back into their recesses or not.

I wouldn't try to go in side by side if there is any doubt, but if the gates are well swung back, there is usually of the order of at least 6" to play with, and I've never got jammed yet, even with the boat that is 7. 0.5", rather than 6' 10"

Mostly(!) one can get the boat in the right place at some point in the process - it is not always so easy to keep it there.

In general, side-by-side works well but if this is inappropriate (e.g. gates that will not open fully or dog-leg approach) then often the next best is for the second boat to follow on as close as possible, to reduce the time for drifting away but, of course, it leaves little opportunity for avoiding action if it goes wrong.

Going downhill, ropes work ok, but uphill both the time taken to get a line topsides and the poor mechanical advantage offered in a deep lock makes it less than ideal. Putting the stern to the side at the expense of the bow may be the next-best, the second boat need not approach that fast (even in windy conditions) as it should have a fair few feet of lock tail and lock chamber before contact - and once the bow is in position, any wind and side-current is much less of an issue.

Several "systems" work well, most of the time but none are without possible adverse outcomes (predictable or otherwise) on occasions and, from time-to-time, there will be a harder than wished for contact; it happens.

That works for us too. In extremis, we have some short lines around a metre long attached to the back corners of the cabin. Stepping off and holding one of those works

Richard

you've got those on Tawny Owl as well.

I can't find Extremis listed anywhere on Jim Shead.

Unfortunately, going slow isn't an option on some locks with strong weirs, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBOUjj9QdJg&feature=youtu.be

Can't get the link to work.

The worst lock entrance for me was going uphill at Woolhampton on the Kennet in flood. You have to go fast, but even if you do manage to get the bow in the right place and avoid hitting that stupidly moored boat on the right, as soon as the weir stream hits your stern the bow goes off centre and then "smack!" (Fortunately no damage).

Edited by blackrose

Can't get the link to work.

The worst lock entrance for me was going uphill at Woolhampton on the Kennet in flood. You have to go fast, but even if you do manage to get the bow in the right place and avoid hitting that stupidly moored boat on the right, as soon as the weir stream hits your stern the bow goes off centre and then "smack!" (Fortunately no damage).

Apologies, link now fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFXGA7NIWc

Unfortunately, going slow isn't an option on some locks with strong weirs, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFXGA7NIWc

I agree; we've been through that one.

Fobneylock1_zpsdf8711f2.jpg

This was a tricky one where we went in second and had the left side available. The preceding boat had scraped its cabin top on both the bridge and the projecting baulk on the lock gate due to the high water levels so at least I was aware that we had to get in on the skew and (unusually), the stern needed to be well under the bridge before I dare back off the power and straighten-up. In this instance, side-by-side or following close behind would not have been smart, so I allowed plenty of time for the other boat to secure its position before heading in. I dare say something or the other was clouted, but it wasn't bad enough to remember.

Here's the same lock in more benign conditions.

P1080808_zps06f47031.jpg

There was a domestic "discussion" on the occasion of the first picture as to who should go ashore to secure the ropes QUICKLY and set the lock and, in fact, both were achieved without so much as a damp toe

Edited by Tacet

It's not stupidly moored,- it is moored at the bottom of the owner's garden - where they have mooring rights. It's well clear of the correct line of approach to the lock, so if you do hit it - you have really cocked up your approach. It is lined with tyres to guard against incompetent boaters. It's position is actually helpful, because if you do misjudge your approach, you will encounter a fendered obstacle, with plenty of depth of water under you. If it wasn't there, the incompetent boaters would probably run aground by the stern, and be held there by the flow of the river.

• Greenie 1