Reduce The Wattage Of Dishwashers/washing Machines

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

The dishwashers instructions, according to my calculations (of the kwh divided by the length of time the wash is on for), gave me less than 1kw, however on getting the actual washing machine it is rated at 1250w.

I don't have the washing machine at the boat yet so can't test it, but need a back up plan.

I figure it has a 1kw heating element and then the motor draws about 200w.

Can I not just replace the element with a smaller one? Its a cheap dishwasher so unlikely to have any complicated parts.

Worst case is I get an inverter and have the genny charging the batteries which then run the inverter, but that is by no means ideal.

(Grace and favour - If we drank wine then we would have one! I have seen one under the floor in the bilge in one boat, which looked very good.)

Doodle

The dishwashers instructions, according to my calculations (of the kwh divided by the length of time the wash is on for), gave me less than 1kw, however on getting the actual washing machine it is rated at 1250w.

That method does not work. You cant divide kWh by running time to get peak wattage. You get the average wattage. Our dishwasher is quoted as using 1kwh per cycle yet the heater is over 2kw. It just does not run for very long.

I am very sceptical about fitting a diode in one of the supply wires as I am sure that this will distort the wave form of a genny. Might work on mains.

That method does not work. You cant divide kWh by running time to get peak wattage. You get the average wattage. Our dishwasher is quoted as using 1kwh per cycle yet the heater is over 2kw. It just does not run for very long.

I am very sceptical about fitting a diode in one of the supply wires as I am sure that this will distort the wave form of a genny. Might work on mains.

I know, it was a stupid mistake to make.

Again I agree, surely although it will half the average power drawn by the element, it will be still drawing 1kw, then 0, then back to 1kw 50 times a second. So surely will still over do the generator.

My ethos is 'if a house can have it, so can our boat'

Nothing is impossible!

...which is a completely daft approach to off-grid living.

House systems are designed as they are because they are on-grid.

To emulate that system without the grid bit is like saying I want to use a Ferrari without roads.

To emulate that system without the grid bit is like saying I want to use a Ferrari without roads.

Not everyone wants to "rough it".

It can't be compared to Ferrari and roads though. You can run all these modern 'luxuries' if you want to, it may not be practical, but it is possible.

Bob

I totally disagree.

Just because you decide to love off grid does not mean you have to give up modern luxuries. It does however mean you need to be clever and resourceful. There is no reason why it is impossible to have a dishwasher for instance, but as has been pointed out, you have to make allowances and work around the problems posed. Equally if I really wanted a Farrari and had no roads to drive it on, again I would need to be resourceful and fit tires that would allow it to run off road, and fit a different differential to make it 4 wheel drive. But its not impossible.

I can't think of a single thing that you can have in a house that I haven't seen on a boat.

I totally disagree.

Just because you decide to love off grid does not mean you have to give up modern luxuries. It does however mean you need to be clever and resourceful. There is no reason why it is impossible to have a dishwasher for instance, but as has been pointed out, you have to make allowances and work around the problems posed. Equally if I really wanted a Farrari and had no roads to drive it on, again I would need to be resourceful and fit tires that would allow it to run off road, and fit a different differential to make it 4 wheel drive. But its not impossible.

I can't think of a single thing that you can have in a house that I haven't seen on a boat.

A well?

:)

I totally disagree.

We live off grid. You can have what you want but it can come at a price. We have a dishwasher, washing machine & even heavens forbid a tumble dryer (only used direct from genny). We cant use more than one at a time & have to watch that things like the water storage level so that the borehole pump does not cut in during the heating cycle on the washer or dishwasher.

Things we dont have are:

elec kettle (as most of the year we have a woodfired stove on the go)

hair dryer (well we do but its almost never used)

elec powered straighteners (some mess up the inverter)

elec tooth brushes

immersion heater

elec shower

We have just got an elec toaster & a toastie maker.

What we do have is a quality inverter & a big battery bank with almost enough solar PV panels.

So yes you cxan have what you want if you are prepared to budget for it.