Engine Painting

Featured Posts

My engine paint is flaking off. At the front of the engine around the belts there must be a small weep of antifreeze because the paint is flaking and soft.

The engine's only done about 800 hours from new!

What am I going to do about this? I appreciate that everything will have to come off in order to be able to repaint the engine block, etc, but even if I do that I can't imagine how I would be able to prep the surfaces properly. I wish they hadn't bothered painting it in the first place if they weren't going to do it properly. Is stripping the paint off and just leaving bare aluminium an option?

Also in one of the pictures you'll see that where the paint has flaked off it's exposed a black surface rather than aluminium. What's that - a primer of some sort or is that part of the engine steel?

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNzIwLTAwNDA2LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNzIwLTAwNDA3LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNzIwLTAwNDA4LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNzIwLTAwNDA5LmpwZw_zps

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNzIwLTAwNDEwLmpwZw_zps

Edited by blackrose

The black paint is the original engine primer sprayed to the cast metal surfaces by Isuzu. The primer sprayed on by the mariniser was a product called barcote.

I see thanks. They obviously don't spray it onto all engine parts then? I mean it seems to be on the head but not the block.

Hi BR

You could try a small steam cleaner and various wire brushes. I would buy a small sandblasting kit do the job then sell it on, cheaper than hiring you can get them for around £40/£50 Use a good 100 psi compressor and it'll come off a treat. Cover air intake though LOL

Hi BR

You could try a small steam cleaner and various wire brushes. I would buy a small sandblasting kit do the job then sell it on, cheaper than hiring you can get them for around £40/£50 Use a good 100 psi compressor and it'll come off a treat. Cover air intake though LOL

Thanks.

Sandblasting? How would you get all that grit out afterwards - just vac it out?

Is this the sort of thing I need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-SANDBLASTING-KIT-30-73-PSI-WITH-3-SPARE-NOZZLES-633629-/290902589189?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item43bb253f05

Then just hire the compressor.

Would the grit damage any rubber parts or cables? What sort of pressure should I use?

Edited by blackrose

Thanks.

Sandblasting? How would you get all that grit out afterwards - just vac it out??

Yeah, a decent VAC with good suction, you can use an airline and blower to get the sand/grit from small niggley places. A small blower with a long needle will do nicely.

Like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-COMPRESSOR-AIR-DUSTER-GUN-COMPRESSED-AIR-BLOW-GUN-AIR-NOZZLE-BLOWER-TOOL-NEW-/280824820063?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item416276b15f