Boaty Moussaka

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

All this talk of ones pot suppers has reminded me of some of my favourite dinners. Here's my recipe for non-oven moussaka (good for doing either on the cooker or on the wood burning stove when it's not 30 degrees centigrade outside). :

Serves 2-3 people

Ingredients:

1 medium sized onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed

Good teaspoon of paprika (smoked is best)

Half teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Small packet of lamb mince

One or two large spuds, thinly sliced (or a handful of new potatoes sliced) (increase amount of spuds if serving more people)

A whole aubergine sliced and quartered

Quarter of a tube of tomato purée

Cheapo tinned chopped tomatoes

Half a stock cube (I like chicky or veg, but lamb stock cube is fine too)

Water

Half a glass of red wine (optional)

Salt to taste

Grated cheese

Fry the onion till it starts to go clear, then add the garlic, paprika and lamb mince. If you like spicy add the cayenne now too.

Fry until the mince loses its pink colour then add the tinned tomatoes, thinly sliced potatoes and aubergine. If you're using the optional red wine, add it now. Top up with water till the ingredients are just covered, pop the lid on and bring up to simmer.

Add half a chicken stock cube or veg stock cube and a generous squeeze of tomato purée. Give it a stir and pop the lid on.

Once simmering again giving it another good stir and taste it. If it needs any salt or any more tomato purée for a bit more richness, add it now.

Bring it back up to a good simmer without the lid on which reduces some of the water. It's done when the potatoes and aubergines are cooked through and soft.

A couple of generous scoops of it in a bowl served with grated cheese on top is lurvely (option to whack it under the grill but as I cook this on the Boatman stove as often as I do using the cooker, I tend to let the cheese melt just from the heat of the moussaka). If you've made it spicy, a glob of low fat creme fraiche or natural yoghurt on the side goes well with it too.

:)

Edited by BlueStringPudding