Alvecote Historic Boat Gathering 2013

Featured Posts

ALVECOTE HISTORIC BOAT GATHERING

AUGUST 24th 25th 26th BANK HOLIDAY WEEKEND.

Just a reminder to all that the Historic Boat gathering is fast approaching. This year there will be even more live music featuring our

'Bands on the Balcony' afternoon music sets from a variety of performing artists.

The Gathering will have floating stalls, Boaters Breakfast and Beer Garden BBQ every day. We are hoping that a good number of Historic boats will be in attendance with over 40 already expressing an interest in attending. This is the Gathering for those who don't do rallies! Just turn up and have a relaxed weekend on your boat discussing what we all like .....Beer erm I mean Boats.

Food will be available at the Pub all weekend but early booking recommended to avoid disappointment.

The Les Lapworth Award will be running in it's third year for the best turned out Historic Boat.

There will be a prize of a free Hull Blacking for the best Illuminated boat on Saturday Night. So dig out your fairy lights and Generators and join in the summer fun. (It could be a cheap dry docking and blacking) and for everyone to enter.

If you play an Instrument then turn up and play in the beer Garden in the sunshine sat on the sofa while enjoying a pint...

Real Ale Bar will be running upstairs all weekend, featuring some fine local Beers.

There will even be a fun fair for the Little people.

No booking in forms or paperwork just turn up and tie up and have fun.

I have listed some of the pre booked bands below but there is always room for more. If you have a group and want to play or have a practise then contact me and we can fit you into one of the Bars.

Live Music Line up

Finnegans Wake (Fri 6-8)

Toe Tapping Irish group kicks things off

The BroomBusters (Fri 9 - late)

Blues, Reggae, Ska and Rock Band. The band is lead by Charlie Wolfman from the late 70′s and 80′s disco soul band the J.A.L.N. Band. The J.A.L.N. Band had a number of chart successes like Disco Music (I like it), I Got To Sing, Get Up and Let Yourself Go and many more. The band was managed by Pete Waterman and toured Europe and most parts of the world for over 25 years

Barlow’s Becky (Sat lunch)

Becky stops serving and starts singing. Samuel Barlows own talent showcases some of her own work.

Ant & Arth Electric (Sat 6 – 8.30)

Electric guitar Excellence gets us into Top Gear on the Balcony!

Last Highway (Sat from 9.00)

Classic Rock covers band from the 70's and 80's

Barberama (Sun lunch)

All Female Barbershop choir.

Accoustic Hooligans (Sun 6 – 8)

Brilliant Accoustic Favourites played as originally intended

Time Trip (Sun 9 – late) &(Mon Lunch)

Musical trip through the 60’s & 70’s led by our favourite rock legend and sign writer. Time trip's Third year at Alvecote playing all the records you grew up with.

Any Questions or for Moorings Contact Lawrence Williams on 01827 898585

Derek and I will be there with Birmingham, we won't be looking at all smart as we have a long way to go with the restoration but we need some fun and an opportunity to get some advice! Looking forward to it immensely, let's pray for good weather.

Derek and I will be there with Birmingham, we won't be looking at all smart as we have a long way to go with the restoration but we need some fun and an opportunity to get some advice! Looking forward to it immensely, let's pray for good weather.

Marvellous - I was hoping you might be saying that! Boat was always an absolute favourite of mine 40 years ago, so can't wait to see your good works and progress.

We certainly hope to get "Sickle" up there, but have yet to work on detailed logistics to make it happen.

Some work on the engine today by a local engineer looks promising, and I think I'd now face a longing trip a bit less nervously than I might have without having the engine tinkered with!

I forgot to say that my friend Robert Jones is bringing his Mum Doreen she used to steer The Juno with her then husband Ted on the Cambourne 61 years ago, she is just great and has some wonderful tales to tell. Robert will correct me if I'm wrong but this might be the first Historic boat gathering she's been to.

• 3 weeks later...

It's this weekend!

I know a lot of boaty friends are looking forward to this event and it will be great to catch up with lots of them when we get there.

Python is already there and hopefully still floating! - We will be joining her fairly well into Friday evening.

Just a little reminder to anyone who is attending - if you have any old mobile phones or empty printer cartridges (not Epson) that you would like to recycle in aid of The Chesterfield Canal Trust you can bring them along and hand them over - if you don't want to lug them to the event then come and ask me for one of our freepost envelopes so you can post them off yourself when you get home.