Shepley Bridge Marina

rbateman

Featured Posts

Hey all,

In early January I bought an older widebeam (built in '74) that I'm currently in the midst of restoring. At the time, the boat was held in Shepley Bridge marina in Yorkshire, where (after the sale) the marina offered to black both the exterior and interior of hull (at a recommendation by the guy who undertook the safety survey.) Now, 6 months later, I've reached the point where I'm ripping up floorboards and rebuilding the interior, only to find that the the interior blacking they did consists of only as much as you can see when you lift the small hatches in the floor. Combined with pipes that water pipes that burst while the boat was in their care (the temperature caused them to burst - something I looked past at the time, as I wasn't sure whether it was firmly their responsibility to keep the boat warm during the sale), there are now various spots of rust throughout interior. This isn't a terrible problem - a big of grinding and painting - but I find it incredibly angering that something I paid for was, at best, half done.

So, I was wondering whether anyone had any similar experience with them and whether they were known for doing this or whether it was something else. In every other respect, they seemed more than accommodating (going so far as to give me a hand moving the boat an hour or two upriver), so I'm not sure how far I should take this.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated,

Ryan

The Dark Horse

Ryan,

First, glad you made it down south (I assume?)

Second, I'd be interested to know how much you paid for the inside of the hull to be painted. On many boats, to do it properly you'd have to remove a large amount of the internal fit out and then reinstall. This would be a big job cost (I'd expect) thousands. If you've paid this sort of money for a proper job to be done and have it in writing, you should be able to pursue a claim against the marina.