Sensible place to plumb in oil coolers

p6rob

Featured Posts

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, help and advice. I didn't measure skin tank temperature on the last run. They were both warm to the touch, rather than burning, whereas the previous time, only the right hand tank was heating up while the left was stone cold.

I think the time has come to remove the engine, strip it down and start from scratch. Like you say, Arthur, trust no one and only go by what measurements say.

There's still the excess crankcase pressure issue to resolve and hopefully, as has been suggested, getting the engine right might well reduce the running temperature to a level the cooling tanks can cope with.

Rob

If your tanks returns are not hot they can cope, its something else causing your problems

• Greenie 1

I'd still try to properly diagnose the cooling problem BEFORE a rebuild. Better overheat the engine as is than a newly rebuild one.

As above try running without thermostat, then with and without calorifer, do careful and thorough measuring with IR thermometer on pipes and skin tanks, make doubly sure pop bottle isn't allowing air to be sucked back in.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

The engine came out today. I took the valves out and discovered the guides are worn. Bit disappointed that I didn't remove the valves when the pre-combustion chamber was repaired. Richard is going to replace the guides and work his magic on the head.

The bores look good, although haven't been measured yet, so might well be getting a rebore yet. I think the ring gaps were not positioned in the best way so, with that and the worn valve guide, I think the smoking issue and excess crank pressure can be explained now.

The camshaft rear seal is leaking, presumably due to the excess pressure, so the rear leak can also be fixed easily, result!

I'm not really happy about the bearings though. The crank was supposedly ground to -010, and new bearings fitted. The mains are 010, but don't look very good, the mains are std, and down to the copper in a few places. Calcutt don't seem to list bearings and ASAP don't have stock currently. Does anyone know if the bearings are the same as an MGB etc. I don't have the part numbers handy at the moment.

With the engine out of the way, the skin tanks have been flushed in both directions. Quite a lot more crud came out of the portside tank with the forward flush. Whether they are clear or not now is still unknown but I'll give them a poke tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, sort of... unsure.png Think I've found the source of excess crankcase pressure and smoke sick.gif

Pistons are +30, rings are standard. frusty.gif

Two of the valves are worn, as are most of the valve guides.

It seems the engine reconditioners in Bradford take incompetence to a new level.

Not sure if I've got any comeback. 18 months ago the previous owners paid for lots of work that either wasn't done, or was done badly. I bought the boat as a non runner but expecting the work that had been done on the engine had been done properly. They paid almost 1400 for a reconditioned head, crank grind and bearings, recon injector pump and 'piston clean and new rings'

• 1 year later...