NB Phoenix

dor

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

She looks in good condition still.

Thanks, she's doing well and very little rust to speak of. There's the normal maintenance but that's all boats. We've also had the normal issues with the webasto but think we have that sorted as well. 

• Happy 1

27 minutes ago, leeburkitt said:

So i now own Phoenix 58 having bought her 18 months ago from the first owner in Chester. She's still fairly much as she was. We've changed the bed layout in the front to accommodate a larger mattress and installed a TV in the bedroom. Work wise we've had to put a new set of gel batteries on board, led interior lights, full service etc. She had been given a full 2 pack paint job before our ownership. 

90% of people we meet are complimentary about her with others preferring a more trad type boat. We love the rear seating area as we've had loads of days out with family etc and not found the tiller to be problematic. The front is very poorly designed for lock use and so i've had to design two 3 meter long rubber protectors for the front or we'd have no paint left at all. 

We now have her moored in Birmingham and next year intend to take her to Oxford and the Thames. 

20190804_071321.jpg

You didn't look to comfortable with that tiller when I watched you go by at Sellly Oak in August this year between the rain storms, in fact it looked quite awkward as you held it and peered round to see the bridge.

I remember the rain storm well! Sadly she doesn't have a canopy for the back and doesn't really lend herself well to one without ruining the look of the boat. I would imagine any 58ft boat has trouble seeing round bridges though, nature of the beast. 

7 hours ago, leeburkitt said:

Thanks, we passed a hydrogen boat the other week in Brum so there's rooms for all sorts of boats. We love her but others not so it personal choice. Lovely comment. 

yes lots of room for different boats I agree.  I like the look of her bow, do you have a picture of her stern please? (non of th eold links worked!) be intrested in seeing what she looks like!

happy boating

Granny Buttons did some photos of this in 2006

https://www.grannybuttons.com/granny_buttons/2006/04/phoenix_rises.html

And a small profile of the designer here

https://www.boatingbusiness.com/news101/industry-news/ex-dubois_designer_creates_luxury_narrowboat

Btw hope you enjoy the boat. 

Edited by reg

This is really not my sort of boat but have seen her a few times, once going through Chester and a couple of times on the Weaver?

She looked a lot happier on the Weaver than on a narrow canal, and looked ok at Chester in Telfords basin.

Not sure about the swim deck :)

But, a lovely thing about the cut is the huge variety of boats that you get to see.

It was a very brave idea even it it did not revolutionise the world of narrowboats, and still better than many fatties :)

.............Dave

Thanks for sharing the pictures.    I like the looks of her, a nice workmanship bow to her, however my only concern would be the entrance on/off at the stern right within the tiller arm arch.      As when berthing crew mainly get on and off and stern, especially with a high bow like that, would consider that a little dangerious.     Howeevr when moored up the "swim platform" does make a good way on and off the boat, especially with our 4 legged crew memebers as they get a bit older!

If there was a way on and off the boat, perhaps closer to the m,ain hatch entarce to the cabin (perhaps a sliding section of rail?) that would make a nice solution...however difficult to add in at this stage!

Happy boating and look forward to giving you a wave on the cut!

• 2 months later...

Do you mind me asking what the swim deck (I think that is the low bit at the back?) is for? I mean, I can see using a large amount of space for the cruiser stern (and the tiller actually looks like vaguely like an old butty one so, shrug) but that lower part... if not cluttered with coal sacks/stompy feet marks from when the coal has dropped in the cut... not quite sure what it is there for?

And what is the (gigantic?) space at the bow for? I'm keen on the phoenix on her nose ? I own a tug with a (ludicrous for 2020, but derived from historic uses) bow space layout so curious as to what they have done starting 'from scratch' so to speak.

HNY and happy cruising!

On 31/12/2019 at 20:13, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Do you mind me asking what the swim deck (I think that is the low bit at the back?) is for? I mean, I can see using a large amount of space for the cruiser stern (and the tiller actually looks like vaguely like an old butty one so, shrug) but that lower part... if not cluttered with coal sacks/stompy feet marks from when the coal has dropped in the cut... not quite sure what it is there for?

And what is the (gigantic?) space at the bow for? I'm keen on the phoenix on her nose ? I own a tug with a (ludicrous for 2020, but derived from historic uses) bow space layout so curious as to what they have done starting 'from scratch' so to speak.

HNY and happy cruising!

The "swim deck" is purely there for access reasons, nothing more. Because shes modern inside she doesnt have a stove or require coal etc. It works brilliantly for getting on and off as its normally at the height of the tow path. The front area has a massive locker and further seating area hence it looking big from the pics. 

On 15/10/2019 at 19:34, leeburkitt said:

I think a cruiser but I'll stand corrected. 

I would say that a cruiser has access to the deck from the side — so between the cabin and whatever rail/dodger arrangement goes round 5e back of the stern deck.  A semi-cruiser would have access at the stern, like a semi-trad would.

So I would say this is more semi-cruiser than cruiser (although with the swim deck off the back it doesn’t really lend itself to existing labels).