3LW will not always pick the revs up

Edders

Featured Posts

Split Pin,

Thanks for the diagram, very useful.

I do have the 2BA screw on the cover, but if I remove the cover to really get the oil on all the parts, is there a gasket behind it that may need replacing? If so, I would sooner get one in advance.

Regards,

Tony

Tony

I think that yours may have been fitted with a remote cold start device,

I think you said it came out of a crane so it may have been difficut to reach.

Mine also came out of a Smiths crane and was Gardner Engine no 11 acording to the original crane plate, it is the same as the illustration.

I will have a look through the other books that I have to see if I can find your type shown anywhere

Do you know when your engine was built, mine was 1952 engine no 91628

Split Pin,

The engine was built in 1949, number 80597.

Tony

fuel%20pump%20page.png

Part 23 is the overfuel pawl. When you press the cold start button, it lifts the pawl and allows the rack to move further to the right. On the 2L2 I worked on, it wanted to move the rack beyond the overfuel stop to accelerate. Taking the cover assembly (part 20 onwards) allows that to happen for test purposes

I suspect that, due to general tiredness, the 2L2 wanted just a bit more fuel than when first built, and that the overfuel stop is set just a bit too mean

Richard

Tony

part no 24 is listed as Stop Control Trigger which is a bit of a misleading designation, see photo.

Hopefully the pics will allay any fears about whats behind the cover

The trigger stop and rack when the cover is in place

P1R..jpg

The cover removed showing the trigger stop.

P2R.jpg

The pump with the cover removed showing the quadrants

P3R.jpg

looking at the photograps you may feel that there is not much to lubricate,

pump%20element.jpg

It is the control sleeve item 7 which needs the oil, the quadrant is attached to the control sleeve which runs on the outside of the pump element and in the body of the pump

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

The control sleeve is lubricated by the diesel above it.

And part 24 is to stop the pawl falling off the pin

Richard

Richard

I think that you are mistaking where the arrow points to on the pump element drawing (for some reason the drawing has imported at a smaller scale)

The control sleeve cannot be lubricated by the fuel in the system as it fits around the outside of the pump element barrel.

the pump plunger item 4 is lubricated by the fuel above it

The control sleeve has the two slots in to fit over the two ears on the pump plunger, the quadrant fits onto the control sleeve so that when the rack moves the quadrent the control sleeve rotates the pump plunger varying the injection cut of point,therefore the amount of fuel injected

Steve

I'll go fetch you one out of the workshop if you want.

Richard

Richard

A pic of how this is achived would be welcome, none of the documentation that I have relating to this type of pump or any of the physical parts have any way of lubricating the control sleeve other than through the quadrant window.(behind the fuel control box)

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

Rather than that, I'll have a dig through the documentation I have as well. The central part that delivers fuel is most definitely lubricated by diesel. That leaves the hardened ears touching the hardened control sleeve. I can't remember anything about lubricating those parts in the documents I have

Richard

OK. BPF manual, publication no. 2000/8. Page 10:

LUBRICATION

The only lubrication required is that of putting a little engine oil on to the plunger guide 8, from time to time, through the inspection window. The pump plunger needs no lubrication as sufficient is derived from the fuel.

The plunger is the bit at the bottom that connects to the cam, the window is the one that shows the timing marks

Basically, CAV are keeping people out of the parts of the pump where the precision components are

Richard

Richard

I have a copy of the same publication just an older version (2000/5) It contains the same information on the same page

I certainly agree that the pump plunger is lubricated by the fuel that is pumping.

How they expected the oil to find its way up the control sleeve from the bottom is a mystery.

Quite possible other engine manufactures used different govener arrangements whigh are less suceptable to additional resistance from parts running dry

Gardners however obviousily found the need to supplement it with the following, (could'nt find the right page earlier)

Gardner LW & HLW Types Instruction Book 56.5 Page 31
GENERAL OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE—continued.
401. Lubrication of Fuel Pumps.—Every 10,000 miles a small quantity (about 30 c.c.) of engine lubricating oil should be injected through the 2 B.A. screw hole located in the front face of the fuel control box on all engines and also through a similar screw hole in the cast aluminium cover plate fitted to the rear set of fuel pumps on 5, 6 and 8 cylinder engines.
This oil will assist in lubrication of the slider bars, quadrants and regulating sleeves inside the fuel pump housings.

The interval had been extended to 12,000 miles by Instruction book 67

A pic of the fuel pump parts once dismantled

pump%20parts.jpg

The control sleeve is 1 7/8" long and fits over the lower end of the Pump Element body so the is a fairly large friction area which on engines that are used less frequently can dry up quite quickly

Steve

Edited by Split Pin