Do Paper Boat Safety Certs still exist?

davidk65

Featured Posts

Does anyone know the latest about boat certificates.

One of the waterways authorities threatened to deny passage because it was said the boat cert was out of date according to their records,

Apparently an examiner, having completed the examination, does not have to issue anything in writing as he enters the report on the the computer system of BSC.

This system is supposed to notify the licencing authority automatically providing them with a unique reference number for the examination and the boat in question. Unfortunately the automated system has not been completed and so the authority does not receive any notification of pass or failure.

The bit which is less clear for me is that the BSC does send a letter to the boat owner enclosing another piece of paper with a number on it. I believe you then have to ring BSC with this special number and then and only then, apparently, the boat details are recorded.

Any Comments on the above?

Had my boat safety last June and received the usual hard copy cert. I think it's in triplicate; Examiner's copy, owner's copy, and one to send to CRT. Part of the cost seems to be the price of a book a certs the examiner pays to the authority.

Have no idea if things have changed recently and may have gone the way of MoT's. Recently had MoT on my car and they no longer issue much but a printout and an MoT test number.

After my recent BSS ..I was given the various copies of the document and told that I no longer had to send it off as the 'examiners had been to some big meeting and told t is all computerised.'

A month later..I applied for a license and was told that my BSS was out of date.

I asked about what the examiner had told me...and they responded that it wasn't yet the case...and the examiners 'seem confused at present'.

I had to send my paper copy to CaRT

I had a BSC and ended up with no paper copy 2 months ago. Relicenced boat a month later and CART confirmed, by computer check on the BSC database (too her about 30 seonds) that the BSC had indeed renewed.

NB I think there are two computer systems/databases (CART/BSC) and they are not yet merged. In other words, this paperless system is not fully implemented yet nor the protocols/information fully disseminated.

Edited by mark99

Pretty much as above.

We re-did our safety certification about a month ago. The examiner said we shouldn't be getting a paper copy as he would fill in all the details online, but he would send me PDF copies anyway.

Just as well, applying to the NT for a licence they still expect you to include paper copies of BSC and Insurance.

We are off out of the Wey and onto the network in a couple of weeks - we will definitely have paper copies to hand. Not that I don't trust computerised database systems, but I work in IT...

I understand that there is confusion with examiners,boaters and CRT a and other authorities.

They continue to look and expect hard copies of certificates. Yes if you want to be certain of anything get it in writing. We will just have to watch them all. Safe sailing.

Many marinas will want to see evidence that a boat has a BSC and they won't have access to the database.

Exactly what I was going to say. Most marinas that we put the boat into for a short term mooring wants to take a copy of the BSC and insurance, so they have to give you a paper copy surely, even though the navigation authorities don't need to be sent one as they have access to the database.

I had mine boat BSS'ed on Tuesday and was told no hard copy, we'll sent you a link to print out and that the licencing authority (Bridgewater for me) would be notified automatically, nothing has turned up so farsad.png

I had mine boat BSS'ed on Tuesday and was told no hard copy, we'll sent you a link to print out and that the licencing authority (Bridgewater for me) would be notified automatically, nothing has turned up so farsad.png

I had my BSS done yesterday, PDF of the certificate arrived in my email this morning. (Thanks Nige!)

I'll print out a hard copy or two in case anyone quibbles.

MtB

BSS Examiners have been very clearly instructed to provide boat owners with an examination report.

The report is very similar to the MOT, a receipt of successful certification.

The report can be either printed out on paper, or provided in an electronic format (.doc or .pdf )

The owner should be able to choose whether he or she wants on paper or electronically or both.

The navigation authority may request a copy, or it may request just the key details - it may depend on whether you are dealing with the registration/licensing team directly, or an outfield agent who does not have access to the same database as the registration or customer service team member.

All navigations authorities have sight and download access to the BSS examination data. This includes the Canal & River Trust Boat Licensing team and the CRT customers service team. The CRT enforcement officers do not have direct access to our database, neither do CRT agents.

The BSS database does not hold any boat owner information, so we cannot tie any registered owner to any boat unless we have help from the navigation authority.

We are talking to two of the largest navigation authorities about full, real-time integration and we can provide linkage just as soon as it is required.

Examiners must enter a certification report within 48 hours or sooner as agreed with the boat owner. In very special circumstances it can be longer if there is a prior agreement with the boat owner, but no further than 5 days from the day of examination.

If you had a blue and grey copy of the certificate issued to you boat before March 31st, please supply the blue copy to your navigation authority. It is still required.

If your examiner has not given you a copy of the examination report and resists doing so, please contact us. We will ensure you receive a copy by your preferred method and we will discuss the issue with the examiner to ensure the process is smoother his customers in the future.

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

This is not true - the examiner must provide you with a report. Please contact me if there is any difficulty.

I cannot see any entry for a Red Dwarf, but that may not be your boat name. You can email me (better than PMing) on the email address below.

Mike Webb at BCCL would like to know the key details of the examination. Date details, BSSER number, Examiner name, Boat details

My examiner from last month has given me the a paper copy. I assume he lets CaRT know.

As I understand it (from the CRT website) CRT boat licensing team will ask you for the key details from the report, but if you have a BSSER number on the report, a report has been uploaded by the examiner and the CRT can check this directly.

I had my BSS done yesterday, PDF of the certificate arrived in my email this morning. (Thanks Nige!)

MtB

Good man Mr C. Spot on service.

Pretty much as above.

We re-did our safety certification about a month ago. The examiner said we shouldn't be getting a paper copy as he would fill in all the details online, but he would send me PDF copies anyway.

Just as well, applying to the NT for a licence they still expect you to include paper copies of BSC and Insurance.

We are off out of the Wey and onto the network in a couple of weeks - we will definitely have paper copies to hand. Not that I don't trust computerised database systems, but I work in IT...

However, Dapdune Wharf and the Lock keeper both have access to the BSS database to double check.

MtB

Nigel was a busy boy on Wednesday then!

Like you he emailed me the copy for Python yesterday.