webasto central heating and hot water heater

davidc

Featured Posts

I have one seems to work effeciently , don't use it often as have other means of heat and hot water. I suggest if it's working then it will be cheaper to keep it than ripping it out and installing an alternative.

• Greenie 1

MY boat is heated by Webasto, also its hot water are there expensive to run and should I consider replaceing it if so what would be recommended .

advise needed please

For heating, Solid Fuel Stove or a drip fed diesel heater.

For hot water, Not as easy but Immersion heater in Calorifier if on shore power, gas 'Morco' type heater, back boiler for stove - There's other options like using engine to heat calorifier which is wise to do and guessing your all ready got this, but it's not as cheap as the Webasto to run (beneficial if moving boat).

Me personally would add the solid fuel stove for heating and add a immersion heater if I was on shore power and use the Webasto when stationary (and use the engine to heat the calorifier if not already for when on move).

Edited by Robbo

If you contact Webasto via their website, they'll happily tell you the consumption rates of your model of Webasto, Davidc

From there web site There say .3 to .5 litres per hour I will have to monitor it when I get on board see how it goes

For heating, Solid Fuel Stove or a drip fed diesel heater.

For hot water, Not as easy but Immersion heater in Calorifier if on shore power, gas 'Morco' type heater, back boiler for stove - There's other options like using engine to heat calorifier which is wise to do and guessing your all ready got this, but it's not as cheap as the Webasto to run (beneficial if moving boat).

Me personally would add the solid fuel stove for heating and add a immersion heater if I was on shore power and use the Webasto when stationary (and use the engine to heat the calorifier if not already for when on move).

I think I will cost a small stove and the Immersion is an Idea I had not considered I suppose that depends on what Calorifier I have

I am told my C-Top uses .6lt per hour and I used my webasto as my sole source of heat last winter for about 3hrs per day so my costs were 3 x 1.8lts diesel per day

did it heat up your boat quite warm, and was that on full load

warm enough for me but then my boat is split into separate compartments and not open plan. Think they only run at one load as if you try and control them by a thermostat and they are turning on and off they will coke up.

warm enough for me but then my boat is split into separate compartments and not open plan. Think they only run at one load as if you try and control them by a thermostat and they are turning on and off they will coke up.

mine is only 39 ft long but it does not have separate compartments except toilet/shower

so you only switch on for 3 hours then you switch off not using the thermostat control, so if there coke up, i take it there then become very expense to de-coke.

Have got a timer on the system and programme that so the boat is warm when I get up and come in from work. Am told the parts are expensive, but am waiting for mine to be serviced so do not know costs yet.

The Thermotop 5 uses between 0.5 and 0.7 litres an hour. Our engine on tick over uses about 0.6 litres an hour and about 0.7 when cruising at 1000rpm (large engine in small boat). The webasto produces heat but takes power from the batteries. The engine produces heat, moves the boat and charges the batteries. Instead of fitting a boiler we fitted a heat exchanger to the engine and use the "free" heat to heat the boat. It's cheaper than running a boiler and means that a higher percentage of the fuel is used for heating ...

Edited by Chalky

The Thermotop 5 uses between 0.5 and 0.7 litres an hour. Our engine on tick over uses about 0.6 litres an hour and about 0.7 when cruising at 1000rpm (large engine in small boat). The webasto produces heat but takes power from the batteries. The engine produces heat, moves the boat and charges the batteries. Instead of fitting a boiler we fitted a heat exchanger to the engine and use the "free" heat to heat the boat. It's cheaper than running a boiler and means that a higher percentage of the fuel is used for heating ...

what heat exchanger did you use and was it easy to fit

I bought a cheap plate heat exchanger off ebay (£10). It was designed to transfer heat between the two water circuits in a combi boiler. I used a 12V engine coolant pump that I got off a Jaguar in a scrap yard (about £20) to circulate water in the radiator circuit and added a header tank to fill it. The rest of the circuit was the same as if I'd used a boiler - radiators and pipework. The pump has a higher flow rate than the webasto one however the impeller is magnetically separated from the motor so there's no chance of failure due to a seal fault. I plumbed the heat exchanger into the calorifier circuit on the return to the engine so that it heats the tank first, Some people have used the second calorifier coil instead of a heat exchanger.

I've also added a thermostat to turn the pump on and off since it can get a bit hot in the cabin when cruising.

I got rid of my Alde gas boiler and replaced it with a Webasto. Happier with it, decoking is really easy, its about 10 screws (torx type, some phillips) and just use instant copper gasket to reseal it back together. Heats my 75 litre calorifier in under 20 mins.

I got rid of my Alde gas boiler and replaced it with a Webasto. Happier with it, decoking is really easy, its about 10 screws (torx type, some phillips) and just use instant copper gasket to reseal it back together. Heats my 75 litre calorifier in under 20 mins.

Do you also run rads from it.