Paloma Ventilation Requirement

Featured Posts

HI,

I'm trying to work out the kilowatt input rating for a paloma water heater. Unfortunately it's out of the boat so I don't have the plate to hand immediately... but... it's one of the 'old looking' ones with the red stripe on the front and paloma in shiny metal. White enamelled.

I've found a manual which suggests it might be 635 btu/minute, which I think converts to 11kw. But that sound like rather a lot.

Does anyone know what the 'normal' old school boat paloma takes in kw?

Trying to work out how many vents I need to install in the re-fit!

Cheers,
Patrick

It says 11.6 Kw's on the label stuck to my Paloma. It is vented through the roof, using a readily available aluminium flue. The outlet should be no less than 500mm from the nearest boat vent, mushroom vent or whatever.

This information has been taken from the Manual for the Paloma Ph-5-3F.

The Heater has a heat input at full rate of 11.6 kw [39,600 Btu/h]

1, Compartment installation with direct access to outside air: Free area top vent:54cm2. Free area low vent 108cm2

2, Intallation in room with direct access to outside air: Free area top vent 54cm2

3, Installation in a room or compartment with indirect access to outside air: Free air top vent 108cm2. Free air low vent 216cm2

These are the minimum effective free area of vents in connection with this heater.

It says 11.6 Kw's on the label stuck to my Paloma. It is vented through the roof, using a readily available aluminium flue. The outlet should be no less than 500mm from the nearest boat vent, mushroom vent or whatever.

Just to prevent confusion by misuse of terms, I doubt your Paloma is 'vented' through the roof, but it's flue will definitely pass through the roof. Ventilation and fluing are two separate things.

Punters often confuse the need for a flue outlet with the need for a fresh air supply vent. Let's not perpetuate the confusion by referrring to the flue as a 'vent'. It isn't.

MtB

(Gas pedant)

.... The outlet should be no less than 500mm from the nearest boat vent, mushroom vent or whatever.

Can it be closer to an outlet such as a stove flue?

When measuring the 500mm is that from the aperture ie actual exit of the outlet or from the base on the roof? Silly question but I'd like to be sure.

When measuring the 500mm is that from the aperture ie actual exit of the outlet or from the base on the roof? Silly question but I'd like to be sure.

Hmmm I forgot to challenge Higgs' assertion that there is a 500mm distance limit!

I'd say it depends which set of regulations you are concerned about meeting. BSS or RCD?

MtB

(or something else?!)

I'd say, I'm not sure wether the exhaust from a chimney could migrate down the flue of the Paloma. Wind conditions favourable, it could be possible. My Paloma and fire are about fifteen feet apart.

Hmmm I forgot to challenge Higgs' assertion that there is a 500mm distance limit!

I'd say it depends which set of regulations you are concerned about meeting. BSS or RCD?

MtB

(or something else?!)

It is information via my BSS examiner. I've never thought to question that. It forced me to blank off a mushroom vent and fit an aluminium flue, above the Paloma. The mushroom vent was for the boat ventilation and only about a foot away from the Paloma outlet, which was little more than another mushroom. This all happened as the result of the full survey, prior to buying the boat and 12 years ago.

Edited by Higgs

I'd say, I'm not sure wether the exhaust from a chimney could migrate down the flue of the Paloma. Wind conditions favourable, it could be possible. My Paloma and fire are about fifteen feet apart.

It is information via my BSS examiner. I've never thought to question that. It forced me to blank off a mushroom vent and fit an aluminium flue, above the Paloma. The mushroom vent was for the boat ventilation and only about a foot away from the Paloma outlet, which was little more than another mushroom. This all happened as the result of the full survey, prior to buying the boat and 12 years ago.

It may have been different back then. The BSS requirements were stricter IIRC.

If you were planning to live on board the GSIUR would apply too. THese specify a 600mm gap IIRC!

MtB