oil pressure to high?

Featured Posts

Hello everyone once again ;)

Right on my oil pressure gauge it goose from 0-80 psi. When my engine is running it is on the high end of 70 and when I rev the engine it nearly goes of the scale.

Unfortunately I am away from the boat till late Sunday so any theories can not be tested till then.

Thank you for the help.

Hello everyone once again wink.png

Right on my oil pressure gauge it goose from 0-80 psi. When my engine is running it is on the high end of 70 and when I rev the engine it nearly goes of the scale.

Unfortunately I am away from the boat till late Sunday so any theories can not be tested till then.

Thank you for the help.

What engine do you have?

What oil do you use?

Has this problem suddenly started?

(and -as Schipper asked previously - have you recently changed oil/filter?)

Thank you for your replys

I have only had the boat for a month and none of the history i have with the boat says that ithas been changed. Also the dipstick was reading on the top end when i brought the boat and now it is in the middle of the max and minimum marks. I can see some oil in the bottom of the boat and there is some on the top of the engine.

The engine is a 1.8bmc water cooled.

You have had the boat a month?, did your surveyors report cover the engine?.

Its highky unusual for a BMC to have high oil pressure, (unless someone has deliberatley bodged the oil relief valve). I would not expect you to see oil pressure of >60psi when cold, and >50psi when hot under load. at idle, usually around 25PSI .

You have oil loss into the bilge as well?. That needs sorting first, it could be from any number of places, including sump gasket, oil filter housing, crankshaft end seals.

The fact that you have high oil pressure, and unusual oil leaks means I would have the oil relief bits out and check them. (Spring, valve and seals) You don't want to see any foriegn objects in there either

However, get an accurate oil [ressure gauge and check it against your one, ditto oil pressure sender unit first.

I take it the oil is black in colour?, and filter housing shows no signs of recent removal?....Sounds like a service is due !

If you've lost that much oil in a month, and two litres of oil isn't kicking around your engine bay, then you'll be burning it. Is your exhaust blue? Change your filter regardless, it's cheap and easy. Sounds like a stuck pressure valve though, that in itself can cause you to burn oil

D