low water presser, and no hot water?

Featured Posts

Hi there I have a 40ft narrow boat which I live on.

I have owned the boat for 1 month now and the water pressure has always been bad, but recently I drained the water tank accidentally. From then on my water pressure is extremely low, I have tried running the taps for 40 minutes but not much difference.

There is another problem, I can't get any hot water. When I turn the hot water tap on the boiler kicks in and stays on for about 5 seconds in till the water pressure has gone low. (At least I think this is why it stops)

Can anybody help me on what to do to solve the problem.

Thank you.

Sounds like a pump which is now clogged with crap due to the water being run out and its sucking in the rubbish at the bottom of the water tank. Also it seems it was underperforming even before this latest episode. Before you consign the pump to the bin, check its wiring, in particular read off the voltage at its connections. Low voltage will make a pump not perform properly.

What kind of boiler (make/model etc) and how is it plumbed in?

Hello and thank you to both replies.

Have a filter on the front of the pump, would this not stop all junk? The pump was fitted just before I brought it, so its only a month old. I also dont have anything to read the voltage on the pump.

my boiler is a rinnai bu150-047(00)

I dont belive I do have a pressure cylinder, but then again I dont know what it would look like

Hi Flopynoky,

Sorry for the rambling reply, there is a point to it eventually.

I had similar problems when I moved onto my boat. In my case there had been a water leak from one of the pipe fittings, probably for years which meant the pump ran every minute or so to pressurise the system. I fixed the leak, then ran the system out of water and didn't twig the muffled noise I could hear was the pump running (I thought it was someone using a jack hammer in the distance). Anyhow, the pressure switch was faulty and possibly the seals were damaged but, Midland Chandlers had a deal on the same Jabsco pump, which meant at £45.00 it was cheaper to replace the whole pump than overhaul it.

Once the new pump was in place, I found that the pump cycled on and off too quickly while maintaining the pressure, which upset the Morco water heater. The heater would make noises like it was going to light, then fail, or there'd be a woosh and the pilot light would blow out, so I fitted an accumulator after the pump, again from Midland Chandlers. It's much better now. The accumulator smooths the flow so I can just about have a shower with consistent water flow and temperature - emphasis on 'just about', it's still nothing like a domestic shower. The temperature choices are either: freezing cold, scalding, or slightly hotter than I'd prefer but usable, with no selection in-between.

I should say, I only bought the stuff from Midland Chandlers as, at the time my boat was at Mercia Marina and that was the onsite chandlery. - All the guys there were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Hope that is of some help

Rob

Get a multimeter from somewhere like Maplin not a chandler if possible. (more choice and probably better value)

Is the pump a new addition or was it supposed to fix the original low water pressure problem?

Also check whether it's a self priming pump or not. If it doesn't self prime after being drained, that would explain the poor performance.

Once you've got the multimeter, check the voltage is over 12v at the pump and that the pre-filter is clean.

First things first check and clean the filter,

you may well have a blockage between the tank and the pump and that is going to be difficult to clear.

Turn OFF the the pump electrically, either switch or/and remove fuse.

Turn ON cold water tap at sink.

Turn OFF tap at tank outlet.

Remove inlet hose from pump

At this point, have a container ready to catch water

Turn ON water tank outlet, Slowly, and check water flow

If flow is not adequate, then carry on below.

Turn OFF tank outlet tap

Remove hose from non tank side of tank outlet tap.

Attach hose to where you have just removed one, so that it can have its open end higher than the top of the tank.

Ensure hose open end is higher than top of tank

Turn ON tank outlet tap.

Blow hard down hose.

Hopefully you will hear bubbles blowing in the tank.

Have a container ready to catch water

Lower the hose slowly, to see if you get a good flow.

If there is a blockage you may have to clean out your tank, hopefully there is an inspection hatch into the tank

Edited by bottle

First things first check and clean the filter,

you may well have a blockage between the tank and the pump and that is going to be difficult to clear.

Turn OFF the the pump electrically, either switch or/and remove fuse.

Turn ON cold water tap at sink.

Turn OFF tap at tank outlet.

Remove inlet hose from pump

At this point, have a container ready to catch water

Turn ON water tank outlet, Slowly, and check water flow

If flow is not adequate, then carry on below.

Turn OFF tank outlet tap

Remove hose from non tank side of tank outlet tap.

Attach hose to where you have just removed one, so that it can have its open end higher than the top of the tank.

Ensure hose open end is higher than top of tank

Turn ON tank outlet tap.

Blow hard down hose.

Hopefully you will hear bubbles blowing in the tank.

Have a container ready to catch water

Lower the hose slowly, to see if you get a good flow.

If there is a blockage you may have to clean out your tank, hopefully there is an inspection hatch into the tank

when i went down to my chandlers that is what they said i should do, they said it is the only thing that they can think of. so ill give it a try after the weeked as i am away from the boat for a bit =( ill reply with what works and what dident as soon as i can. thank you all so much.

Josh.

Jo

Sounds to me as though the supply pipe from the tank to the pump has air-locked. What happens if you loosen the inlet pipe to the pump? Do you get loads of water out? (You ought to.)

Where is the pump in relation to the tank? Distance & height?

MtB

Thank you so much, Im going to my local chandlers now to get a voltage meter and to see what they think about accumulators.

Cheers.

Even cheaper on eBay but longer delivery times so if in a hurry, Maplins!

Hello all and thank you so much, I have fixed it by blowing down the pipe into the tank. It must have been blocked pretty bad, and now my water runs better than ever and my boiler now works too smile.png thank you all.

Good news but remember all that blockage is still in the tank, if possible clean the tank, if not, do not run your water to low. wink.png