going in reverse

Timx

Featured Posts

I have a new to me grp boat 1.5 diesel indirectly raw water cooled, my friend used it today and told me when he puts it in reverse it goes forward, what could be the reason for this..!! ANY IDEAS B4 I LOOK TOMORROW.

cheers.

I have a new to me grp boat 1.5 diesel indirectly raw water cooled, my friend used it today and told me when he puts it in reverse it goes forward, what could be the reason for this..!! ANY IDEAS B4 I LOOK TOMORROW.

cheers.

Does it go forward when in reverse? There used to be a narrowboat on our mooring that did this; something to do with the hydraulic gearbox. Took some getting used to.

Does it go forward when in reverse? There used to be a narrowboat on our mooring that did this; something to do with the hydraulic gearbox. Took some getting used to.

If that's the case then it can be rigged the other way round, at the morse control.

The obvious thing to first check would be the gear cable. Its also possible that an internal fault with the gearbox can make it not respond properly to the commanded direction forwards-neutral-reverse. BSP (bluestringpudding) had an issue like this, might be worth a search of threads she's started.

prm gear box whatever that means ,looks like a job for canal rescue then if you think something has broken

Broken gear cable? Is it stuck in forward?
It's happened to me.

I was told it will only respond to forward, and goes forward when reverse is deployed

We had a similar problem on a hire boat before we bought NC. Turned out to be the gear linkage that was broken so whatever we did it went forwards (straight into a lovely old wooden broads cruiser ohmy.png )

Took the engineeer about five minutes to fix.

prm gear box whatever that means ,looks like a job for canal rescue then if you think something has broken

I was told it will only respond to forward, and goes forward when reverse is deployed

keep it as it is, you will be one of a select few that can reverse in a straight line.

If your control leaver has two cables going to the engine, one (accelerator) will go to the fuel pump. The other will go to the gearbox. With the engine running and while the boat is still moored, open the engine cover and move the gear linkage backwards and forward. You should see the prop shaft rotate in different directions. If so the the problem is either in the cable or the adjustment within the control leaver. My Creighton had a habit of flipping off the restraining clip holding the cable in position on top of the gear box with alarming results. If the cable is not held securely then no fulcrum is applied. The single leaver control works by moving the gears then accelerating both in forward and reverse if the gear selection is not working then it still accelerates.

My gearbox probem was similar, but a bit different. My PRM 150 took to leaping into gear in full fast forward all on its own. It would also intermittently not respond to the gear stick at all and either not go into gear, or not come back out of gear. It started off as a gradual problem and was combined with a slow, but increasingly heavy oil leak. But it got more frequent, until the last two times the boat jumped into gear on its own while I wasn't on it, just became dangerous.

Turned out to be a little broken spring inside the gearbox.

Here's the original thread: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53471&hl=

Edited by BlueStringPudding

My gearbox probem was similar, but a bit different. My PRM 150 took to leaping into gear in full fast forward all on its own. It would also intermittently not respond to the gear stick at at all and either not go into gear, or not come back out of gear. It started off as a gradual problem and was combined with a slow, but increasingly heavy oil leak. But it got more frequent, until the last two times the boat jumped into gear on its own while I wasn't on it, just became dangerous.

Turned out to be a little broken spring inside the gearbox.

So, combining those two, have a look at what happens to the lever on the side of the gearbox when you move the Morse control. The lever has three positions, forward - neutral - reverse. If the lever on the box takes up each of those positions when the Morse is moved, it's the box. If not, it's the Morse or the cables

Richard

Edited by RLWP