Strength of antifreeze for CH system

Featured Posts

I'm just refilling my CH system after making some modifications. I had a couple of leaks possibly because the antifreeze mix was too strong (which reduces the viscosity of the coolant - lower than water), but what strength would the mix need to be to prevent corrosion inside the rads? Part of my system goes into the unheated engine room, so it does need antifreeze rather than just an anticorrosive CH inhibitor.

It depends how cold you let your boat get without draining the CH! The antifreeze instructions will say what %age is appropriate for a given minimum temp.

I'd go for the side of caution. We've seen -16 outside in a couple of recent winters, so unless your boat will be constantly heated, beware of what may occur. We had 4" thick ice round us for 8 weeks one time, so don't rely too much on the idea that the surrounding water will moderate the temperature in the boat.

Fix the dodgy joints now, while you're working on the system. They'll be some of the ones to fail when it freezes up if your antifreeze is too weak!

BTW, are you aware you must mix the antifreeze and water before putting the mix into your system? If you don't their differing densities can lead to layering of the two in radiators which causes fluid lock and prevents proper circulation. It's rather like an air lock but with two liquids.

Please excuse me tagging on the end of this post but it's sparked a question.

I've got an Eberspacher also - excuse my ignorance, but does the antifreeze just go in the CH header tank? I had to drain this down recently because of a leak and I put antifreeze in the header tank but not 50%. Does antifreeze go anwhere else in the system? Sorry, I'm a complete novice!

Thanks.

Please excuse me tagging on the end of this post but it's sparked a question.

I've got an Eberspacher also - excuse my ignorance, but does the antifreeze just go in the CH header tank? I had to drain this down recently because of a leak and I put antifreeze in the header tank but not 50%. Does antifreeze go anwhere else in the system? Sorry, I'm a complete novice!

Thanks.

I think it would go straight into the header tank. If you can drain a CH system you must know what you're doing?

Hi red antifreeze cant be used in some old cars as it does not provide good rust protection so although I have it in my boat 50 50 mix until I drain it down in 5 years I wont know if it has worked Peter

interesting I have seen the insides of mikunis that have had no antifreeze in the system and the heat exchangers were rusted badly guess that could be a valid reason to stay with blue antifreeze.