Braunston Historic Boat Rally This Weekend (29th & 30th June)

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Anyone photo's taken of Linnet and her new paint? smile.png

One of the few I didn't get any pictures of unfortunately.

Looked good passing the Admiral Nelson on Tuesday though :)

One of the few I didn't get any pictures of unfortunately.

Looked good passing the Admiral Nelson on Tuesday though smile.png

Ta :) Still alot to do (I keep finding more paint ideas to steal!), so just wait till you see her next :D

Ta smile.png Still alot to do (I keep finding more paint ideas to steal!), so just wait till you see her next biggrin.png

Will look forward to it.

Hope your journey up Braunston locks got easier after we saw you :)

Thanks to Barry Adams (forum member) of the Narrow Boat Trust for a set of pictures he took from Nuneaton & Brighton in the parade.

A small selection here, that gives a participants view of some of the chaos involved!

IMG_3143_zpsbe2515d0.jpg

IMG_3144_zps6f27a83c.jpg

IMG_3153_zps29c3a556.jpg

[All photos copyright Barry Adams]

Alan what's with the no brass rings on both chimneys ??

Darren

It is, (externally at least) largely presented as a BW maintenance tug, as it would have been at work in the 1960s.

You would not have found brass bands on a maintenance boat, so that is how we usually have it.

We do have some flashier chimneys, but they don't really look the part to me, (plus it is more ruddy brass to polish, of course!).

(OK, OK, I know you would have been unlikely to find a fully decorated can, or even back doors on a maintenance boat, but we have to have a bit of "bling" don't we!).

EDIT:

I think I have just got "tall pipe envy" - Steve Priest seems to have an even taller one on "Aquilla" than we do on "Sickle"!

Edited by alan_fincher

I think I have just got "tall pipe envy" - Steve Priest seems to have an even taller one on "Aquilla" than we do on "Sickle"!

Whereas, if you'd got a Kelvin, you wouldn't need a tall pipe to take the smoke away tongue.png. At the end of a day's boating the inside of Owl's cutter is still shiny.

Whereas, if you'd got a Kelvin, you wouldn't need a tall pipe to take the smoke away tongue.png. At the end of a day's boating the inside of Owl's cutter is still shiny.

It will still be shiny, (and there will be no smoke to take away, of course), when you can't start the bloody thing!

(OK, OK, I know it is fixed now, but.............)

EDIT:

BW maintenance boats didn't tend to be treated to Kelvins, of course........ But then neither did FMC Joshers!...............

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm surprised Owl still has a cutter, I would have thought it had been blown off by now.

eta- I only say that because we came through Soulbury, Stoke Hammond and Fenny locks with them just before the Braunston w/e, and for two days I thought I'd gone deaf - apparantly I was also yelling at everyone. I'm OK now.

Edited by Mike Tee

• 4 weeks later...

By any chance did anyone take a photo of Python at Braunston?

I have managed to find a corner of her tucked into other peoples photo's of other boats but I am after a couple of pictures to add to the Python blog on The Chesterfield Canal Trust website and I have not managed to find any yet. If anyone has a photo of her at this event and has no objection to it being used on the blog (with a suitable acknowledgment of course) I please get in touch