1st trip to Falkirk Wheel

wullie

Featured Posts

I had my first trip to Falkirk Wheel, i went by car as just trying to gain as much info as possible before taking plunge buying a narrowboat, what a brilliant place, i am half an hour away and never went, i thought i was at loose end what to do, we had a great time, we even made arrangements to go on a holliday later on in the year, and they are waiting on a daily hire boat arriving on site, we are going back very soon to make a day of it, take grandkids plenty to do for them, just thought i would say it is a great place to visit, sadly i will not be able to use my boat up here, planing to get my boat when time comes down south to visit the whole system, anyway if funds would allow mabe i could transport it up here to do Falkirk Wheel, ah dreams we can all dream.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

It's great isn't it! We can't get our boat up there but instead booked a hire holiday and went on the Wheel then onto Edinburgh just in time to catch the tail end of the Edinburgh Festival.

I think the handover chap from the hire company was quite surprised when we climbed aboard and immediately lifted up the cover to peek at the engine and find out how many batteries the boat had!

Edited by Ange

I have been twice to have a look at the wheel - both times it was closed for maintenance!

You had better let us know when you are going again, so we know when to avoid :-)

I've been there, but only for a couple of hours 'while passing through the area', and I agree, a very impressive structure.

Regards

We did the wheel in a hire boat having done it in the trip boat a year or two earlier. Definitely the best way to do it (hire boat/own boat). The mind is concentrated when coming into the caisson from above - at the far end is a low steel gate, with no big buffers such as are fitted to Anderton, below which is a large drop! I'm sure its strong but you get the feeling that ramming it in a 20tonne boat might result in you getting down quicker than anticipated!

They are strong. There is a dent in the gate on one of the caissons caused by just that!frusty.gif

(Not sure how appropriate that smiley actually is! cheers.gif )

Iain

(snip_ ... and they are waiting on a daily hire boat arriving on site, .clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

This one?

Edited by Iain_S