Land Rover on the Cut!.

algy

Featured Posts

Last week (could have been the week before) I was driving parallel with the Bridgewater canal at Stockton Heath, between the canal and the road is a hedge, consequently I could not view the canal, however what came into view was the top window and roof of a Landrover that could only have been on the deck of a canal boat, I know this area very well and there is only the canal on the other side of the hedge. Has anyone cruising around the Bridgewater/T & M come across this boat, I have wondered if it was a work boat but can't sort the logic as to why it would carry a vehicle!.

Last week (could have been the week before) I was driving parallel with the Bridgewater canal at Stockton Heath, between the canal and the road is a hedge, consequently I could not view the canal, however what came into view was the top window and roof of a Landrover that could only have been on the deck of a canal boat, I know this area very well and there is only the canal on the other side of the hedge. Has anyone cruising around the Bridgewater/T & M come across this boat, I have wondered if it was a work boat but can't sort the logic as to why it would carry a vehicle!.

Yes - we have seen possibly the same boat (though there could be more than one of course) It has a land rover cab fitted as a wheel house there are some photo's of it somewhere.

This isn't the one we have seen so there must be a few knocking about -

8884973160_c796fcec20_b.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Yes, we know the Land-Rover wheelhouse boat,think it probably ties at Preston Brook Marina. Seems to make an annual appearance around this time of year, and to be honest, comparing it with some of the "Bridgewater Bughutches" which pass by, including our own,it looks eminently practical, roomy and sturdy.

I have a photo somewhere of a boat with a Lotus 7 on the deck.

This is the forum owner Dan's kit ar on the deck of Arial - owned by forum moderator Liam, (not seen Liam post in a long while??).

Dan%27s+car+on+Ariel.jpg

(Picture: Lucky Duck Blog)

IMG_0099.jpg

Yes, we know the Land-Rover wheelhouse boat,think it probably ties at Preston Brook Marina. Seems to make an annual appearance around this time of year, and to be honest, comparing it with some of the "Bridgewater Bughutches" which pass by, including our own,it looks eminently practical, roomy and sturdy.

I agree - It sounds daft but when I saw it I thought now that's a good idea! (But then we have a pram hood on our boat so what would I know?)

The "Land Rover Boat" pictured is actually moored in Gas Street basin, of course there could be others out there too.

Yes - we have seen possibly the same boat (though there could be more than one of course) It has a land rover cab fitted as a wheel house there are some photo's of it somewhere.

This isn't the one we have seen so there must be a few knocking about -

8884973160_c796fcec20_b.jpg

This is Gas Street Basin. The boat belongs to my friend Callum. A slightly eccentric fellow.

Note the crocodile on the roof.

Great information and thank goodness, I thought I had lost the plot when I spotted it, talking about loosing the plot if you see this reply Mike the Boilerman, I wish to publicly apologies for getting a 'strop' on and insulting you on I think it was my first reply after joining the forum, I was totally out of order, sorry Mike.blush.png

And of course there was this one from the 1970's. The first time I saw it I was waiting to go down Town Lock at Leighton Buzzard, when the roof of the Robin started to appear. Eminently practical: to use it he just rotated the pontoon by 90 degrees and drove on to the towpath.

Robin.jpg

This is Gas Street Basin. The boat belongs to my friend Callum. A slightly eccentric fellow. Note the crocodile on the roof.

I'll wager a bet that it's powered by a tractor engine too!

Great information and thank goodness, I thought I had lost the plot when I spotted it, talking about loosing the plot if you see this reply Mike the Boilerman, I wish to publicly apologies for getting a 'strop' on and insulting you on I think it was my first reply after joining the forum, I was totally out of order, sorry Mike.blush.png

Eh? Did you?

I have to say I don't remember. Apology not necessary. Carry on as if nothing had happened (which it didnt as far as I yam concerned...)

You coming to Braunston fest this weekend? You can buy me N coasty a pint as retribution, lol!

MtB

Eh? Did you?

I have to say I don't remember. Apology not necessary. Carry on as if nothing had happened (which it didnt as far as I yam concerned...)

You coming to Braunston fest this weekend? You can buy me N coasty a pint as retribution, lol!

MtB

Thanks Mike!. Braunston, if only!, er' in doors has a family 'bit of a do' planned, so got to put on me best blues, bull me slippers up and generally be'ave me'sen, but thanks for the invite and have a couple or three for me.

Thanks Mike!. Braunston, if only!, er' in doors has a family 'bit of a do' planned, so got to put on me best blues, bull me slippers up and generally be'ave me'sen, but thanks for the invite and have a couple or three for me.

Hmmm yer gonna have to get yer priorities sorted out if u r gonna be a proper boatist. Put next year's Braunston fest in the diary NOW, I recommend!

MtB

Looks brilliant compared to yer average pram hood abomination, but how does it fit under low bridges?!

MtB

It's a fairly shallow v-hull with a low roof anyway and the owner is insistent that with enough extra ballast he can get the height down to fit under most bridges without scraping the bottom of the cut.

I'll wager a bet that it's powered by a tractor engine too!

You lose then ;) It's powered by a marinised Mercedes diesel, and it's fast!

Hmmm yer gonna have to get yer priorities sorted out if u r gonna be a proper boatist. Put next year's Braunston fest in the diary NOW, I recommend!

MtB

Shall do!, I used to be a proper 'boatist' Mike, but due to age and all the crap that arrives with it I'm now reduced to sailing the towpath and wipe a tear from my eye as every happy (or unhappy boater) cruises by, never mind ay' I still have my memories!.

Shall do!, I used to be a proper 'boatist' Mike, but due to age and all the crap that arrives with it I'm now reduced to sailing the towpath and wipe a tear from my eye as every happy (or unhappy boater) cruises by, never mind ay' I still have my memories!.

We shall watch out for you sailing along that pleasant towpath in Grappenhall, whenever we get the chance to cruise along there, although the place holds mixed emotions for me.

I 'celebrated' my wedding at the local social club to a local lass who turned out to be a witch! And my old dad is buried in Fox Covert Cemetery not far from the canal.

Mike

Edited by Doorman