Canal Closed For Duck Race!

n.b.Goldie

Featured Posts

Curmudgeon_Logo.jpg

Maybe. As Dave says, its not a one-off that is the problem, its the precedent set and the principle of the matter. And also, as has been said, its seems over-reaction to completely close the canal for so long. Surely the race can't last more than an hour or so, and anyway why not do it on a real river, rather than a fake one!

Maybe. As Dave says, its not a one-off that is the problem, its the precedent set and the principle of the matter. And also, as has been said, its seems over-reaction to completely close the canal for so long. Surely the race can't last more than an hour or so, and anyway why not do it on a real river, rather than a fake one!

But this particular event doesn't set any sort of precedent - the link I mistakenly posted earlier up the thread was to a similar (but much bigger) event for a Children's Hospice this time last year.

If we as boaters can't cut these charities a little bit of slack then there is something wrong somewhere. Boating on that section is entirely a leisure activity so it's not going to affect the commercial waterways. It's not as if closing the canal is a matter of life and death it's a mere minor inconvenience, I do think if anything could have been done better then it would have been the notice period, a full closure like this warrants much more notice with a reminder nearer the time in my opinion.

Fair enough if it starts to get out of hand and they start popping up as a regular event then we can have a legitimate complaint about it till then I remain laid back about it.

Oh dear, I'm agreeing with TDH.

Fear not, I'm sure I will post something in the not too distant future you can disagree with.

Hopefully they will also cancel the Braunston boat show as this is restricting navigation for 2 days every year and is creating a dangerous precedent for other shows, mooring suspended here and at the Foxton show. Guess they do have something to do with canals though....but seriously

I am happy to cut the organisers some slack if it's for a couple of hours and out of the main routes, but I would have thought a boat would have added some extra excitement to the race after all it could add to the fun and random nature of it. How are they going to collect all the ducks at the end or will they escape to colonise the canal !!

Personally I would rather support Jon Wonfors cruise to raise money and awareness for MacMillan care but this will probably raise far more.

Hopefully they will also cancel the Braunston boat show as this is restricting navigation for 2 days every year and is creating a dangerous precedent for other shows, mooring suspended here and at the Foxton show. Guess they do have something to do with canals though....but seriously

I'm not having a pop.

The difference is that Braunston & other canalside boat shows don't close the canal, the event being discussed will.

We need to ensure the Tour De France never uses the roads of this country ever again, Any marathons must be run across country in future and not use public roads.

Once again there is a difference, you can be diverted around the closure, a little bit more difficult to do that on the canal system.

Edited by Spuds

We need to ensure the Tour De France never uses the roads of this country ever again, Any marathons must be run across country in future and not use public roads.

There was stong local opposition to a charity cycle race in Perthshire a few years ago. Tacks strewn on the road to sabotage the race. That was perhaps an over-reaction but it arose because of the absense of alternative routes in rural Perthshire causing locals to have to drive many tens of miles extra to get to the next village. I see some similarity with the limited alternative routes on the canal system! Ducks are warned - someone might introduce a couple of crocodiles to eat them from below!

Edited by nicknorman

The tyranny of the charity event.

"I am doing this for charity, therefore you must accept the inconvenience, because if you don't you are a bad person"

Yes, this is on a quiet part of the system, and only a few boaters would have gone through in any case, which means that it is all the more perplexing why an 8 hour total closure is required, or the removal of boats moored there.

If the notice was to say that duck races were being held, and that boaters may have to wait for a short time whilst each race took place, and that they would be able to navigate during the gaps between races, that would be reasonable.

firstly its only a 6 hour closure - try to get your facts right when having a rant...

whilst having some sympathy with your point about the 'tyranny' of the charity event - criticise at your peril !

I think we do need to keep a sense of proportion and as others have said 'lighten up a bit' moor up and enjoy the event, treat it as an experience to enjoy and participate in, rather than sit in a corner muttering about the inconvenience....

I'm not sure whether this is a one off or an annual event, but either way it seems to me that if it encourages more people to enjoy the canals thats a good thing isn't it ?,

perhaps some constructive feedback asking for a bit more notice would be helpful so people can plan to avoid it completely or get involved if they want.

As one of the nobler and more deserving charities (we all rely upon to one degree or another), should we not allow the Canal and River Trust (note: Sunday name) be allowed to close all the canals to navigation for some months - during the summer obviously) - in order to reduce wear and tear to the infrastructure, and allow it's many fund-raising supporters to solicit fiscal support from members of the public.

If successful - maybe we should encourage them to operate such 'temporary closures' every year ?

• Greenie 1

As one of the nobler and more deserving charities (we all rely upon to one degree or another), should we not allow the Canal and River Trust (note: Sunday name) be allowed to close all the canals to navigation for some months - during the summer obviously) - in order to reduce wear and tear to the infrastructure, and allow it's many fund-raising supporters to solicit fiscal support from members of the public.

If successful - maybe we should encourage them to operate such 'temporary closures' every year ?

Ridiculous, such an idea will never catch on.....

Wife tells me there is a flow through the pound, (maybe they open a paddle in the lower lock), and you buy a yellow plastic duck and cross your fingers. It's an annual event attended by many so it is very very popular.

With the leaks on this flight the flow will mean the event will probably be over in 10mins!!

The clue is in the name "Tour de France" ... damned frogs should keep to their own side of The Channel, I just knew this sort of thing was bound to happen once that darned tunnel was opened. French loaves and garlic are bad enough (well actually I quite like them) but more cyclists clogging up the roads are the limit - jolly good job that the towpath is too narrow for them. unsure.png

I think people should lighten up a bit.

While I understand it can be frustrating if you need to make progress I suspect it will not be closed for the entire 8 hours but will open again as soon as the race is finished - that is what usually happens with this sort of thing.

It is a charity event that has been going on for years. It raises some money for a good cause and puts a lot of smiles on a lot of faces in the process.

They are giving people fair warning that is it going to be closed for a few hours that day, people can either speed their journey up a bit through this week to get past or even slow down so it does not affect them

I agree. Fort those effected why not moor up for the day and join in the fun.