Cats - how long till they get used to boating?

FidoDido

Featured Posts

I'll be off boating soon for much of the summer, and rather than put the cat in a cattery, I was wondering about bringing her along.. We have a dog, and she manages fine, but a cat takes more time to adapt to new places. Anyone taken their cat on holiday?

I could keep her locked on the boat, but it'll get hot and stuffy to keep all the doors closed. She's an oldish cat, who doesnt do much outside stuff.. mainly eats and sleeps.

Not to put you off...and I'm sure others have been successful...but we tried and had to give up. Might not have been so bad if we'd stayed in one place. But we were all absolutely terrified (until we gave up). The cat was clearly terrified and sought out the deepest, darkest corner. If I'd opened up the engine cover I;ve no doubt he would have headed straight for the bilge or tried to get under the floor. We were terrified of leaving anything open, just in case.

Might be easier, as you say, with an oldish, don't-do-much, cat.

Good luck if you go ahead!

How they react depends on the cat. Some stay in and cower, some turn into roaming hunting machines, some are unconcerned. But surely it's better than a cat-prison cattery? Familiar fabrics, a 'safe' place to hide when cruising and a litter tray should do it if the cat gets nervous. Tip- Do not feed before setting off in the morning if you don't trust mog not to then go exploring and ruin your day's plans! A collar with contact details is useful for if it does stray.

Thats what I want to hear :)

Do you let him out and about when moored up? Does he come home for food etc? Ours was never much of a roamer, but sods law says she goes walkabout for several days when we are on a 24h visitor mooring!

Our cat was 14 years old when we started taking her to the boat. The cattery we had previously used closed down so we thought we'd try her on board. Took to it like a duck to water, had her food and litter tray (she did not use a tray at home) and settled down to being a boat cat straight away. Kept doors shut when moving, but as soon as moored she would sit out on deck and watch the world go by. If any dogs came along she would just pop inside till they had gone.

Sadly we lost her before Christmas at the age of 18, but she loved it.

DSC_0038_zps038ed6ae.jpg

I'll be off boating soon for much of the summer, and rather than put the cat in a cattery, I was wondering about bringing her along.. We have a dog, and she manages fine, but a cat takes more time to adapt to new places. Anyone taken their cat on holiday?

I could keep her locked on the boat, but it'll get hot and stuffy to keep all the doors closed. She's an oldish cat, who doesnt do much outside stuff.. mainly eats and sleeps.

Cats are very unpredictable, no doubt about that.

First thing to do would be to get them chipped. Register your mobile number and boat name as your contact info.

Then get a collar and tag with your mobile number and boat name on.

We moved onto our boat a couple of weeks ago with two cats. Peanut and Snubby.

Litter tray was placed in the saloon with a familiar rug and a couple of of bowls of food and water nearby.

The first night we went to bed with them both sitting in their cat boxes not wanting to come out. Awoke the next morning with no cats in sight. Hmm

They had come out during the night and found a safe spot in a void underneath the dinette. There they stayed until the following night. When we were woken by a cold wet nose belonging to Peanut. Snubby stayed in his safe place in denial of it all.

By the end of the second day Peanut was feeling more confident and was having a tentative explore and Snubby even ventured out for the loo and a small bite to eat before retreating.

By the third day Peanut was bounding all over the boat and climbing on things to get a better view and generally misbehaving and having a whale of a time. Snubby was out and about but any strange noise would send him scurrying.

After that they both stayed out and explored the boat with Peanut being the more confident. Peanut is also the older cat and Snubby tends to follow his lead.

On the sixth day we started the, old and an noisy vintage, engine which sent them scurrying to their safe spot but after a while Peanut was out.

Now, two weeks on they are no worse than at home. They are even thinking about venturing off of the boat onto the pontoon we are moored against.

We didn't make any special efforts to disturb or not disturb them when we first moved onboard but to let them decide when to venture out. We also didn't try to be quiet and just went about our normal lives.

Cats are very resilient and adaptable and as some have said previously they all take their own time in adjusting but eventually they will.

Next step is a trip out on the canal and to moor up for a day or two and see how they handle that.

Oh, the rocking and motion of the boat doesn't bother them at all.

As we will on occasion have to leave the boat for the day we were also worried about the heat. Windows will be opened on the off side and also the hatch in the saloon wall under the front entrance will be left open were they can go and lie against the water tank for some coolness. Also some water will be left in the bottom of the shower cubical as Snubby likes to sit in water when he is hot.

Cheers,

Alan.

we took our 2 cats away for a weekend with us when our cat sitter couldn't help out. they were fine inside the boat, got to a 48hr mooring, Cool Pilate on the Shroppie, opened the front doors and they peeped out and eventually joined us outside. we maybe got too confident as they went off into the hedge bottom to explore, and we didn't see them again that day. Next day we went up and down the towpath, shaking the Go Cat biscuits, then did a circular walk off the towpath, into the hamlet, still shaking the cat biscuits and calling for them.. got a few funny looks!...gave up and went back to boat, frantic as we knew we had to leave the following day to get back to work in Yorkshire. I had made some posters to stick to fences on the towpath...we sat having a glass of wine about 10pm that night, and had left the front doors open....just in case....then 5 miniutes later we heard a thud on the gunwhale followed by a loud meeeow and cat no 1 appeared, followed 2 minutes later by her male buddy...phew!!! so relieved...no hurry to take them again...

There are GPS tracking devices for cats, if s/he's gone off and you need to find him/her.

They used a version of them on that recent 'Secret Life of Cats' programme

Tracking of pets via GPS has got to be the way to go.

Dogs around our way are allegedly being stolen to order for participation in fighting.

Next you know we will be able to track and locate humans........

oh hang on a sec.....

Our cat keeps forgetting which side the waters on, and runs out the door....and splosh. They swim really well though :)

Other than that she loves the boat and doing aerobics along the gunwhale.

Dogs around our way are allegedly being stolen to order for participation in fighting.

smiley_offtopic.gif Not allegedly...allegedly......Our Community Policeman (near central Manchester) is telling everyone with a dog not to leave it tied up outside a shop - not even for a few minutes and with other people around. Increasing number of dogs reported being taken from outside shops, even front gardens!! What a wonderful world!

smiley_offtopic.gif Not allegedly...allegedly......Our Community Policeman (near central Manchester) is telling everyone with a dog not to leave it tied up outside a shop - not even for a few minutes and with other people around. Increasing number of dogs reported being taken from outside shops, even front gardens!! What a wonderful world!

It's sick isn't it ~ there are reports of attempted break ins at a boarding kennels local to us with the intention of stealing dogs for this purpose.sad.png

For some strange reason I find that extremely funny. clapping.gif

Our cat was doing the usual walk along the gunnel when it came upon vegetation too thick to walk past (big patch of nettles), she decided to reverse rather than turn round as she would usually do. Splosh, in she went, clambered out and immediately went inside and sat on our bed, dripping wet. Seemed to know that I found her falling in funny, and by way of retribution she would soak our stuff.

All of this makes me happy in the thought of getting a new feline crew member for our boat. Both me and Mrs Doorman love cats but for the very same reasons and concerns mentioned here have put it off. Our lab Paddy is quite acceptable to the idea as he will have a mate to keep him warm on winter nights.

On a recent thread we mentioned a lady who travels the system on foot with two dogs and a cat. Whenever she goes to the shops near busy roads she leaves the dogs unattended and untethered but places her cat in a veterinary type basket to ensure that she doesn't follow her. Apart from that, the cat is allowed to roam free whilst they venture along the towpath. So, each new day brings a new location yet the cat never strays.

I think the GPS idea is prudent given that many cats are prone to wander though. The remarks about people stealing dogs in the cities simply reinforces our decision to move to the countryside. How low can some people get?

I think the GPS idea is prudent given that many cats are prone to wander though. The remarks about people stealing dogs in the cities simply reinforces our decision to move to the countryside. How low can some people get?

It's big business for some and not just cities either - the boarding kennel I referred to is located in the countryside on a farm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2311450/Dog-thieves-daubing-letter-K-driveways-identify-victims-stealing-pets.html

We had a spate recently in our area which is fairly semi-rural. The perpetrators were using similar tactics referred to in the article above to identify suitable targets.

Next you know we will be able to track and locate humans........

oh hang on a sec.....

Hardly a fair fight though. The stolen dog is invariably a smaller terrier type. It has its mouth taped up so it cannot defend itself and is then put in a pit with staffies or pit bulls who then tear it to bits to increase their blood lust.

No doubt some on this forum would give the human scum involved in this practice a severe talking to. Please forgive me for saying my solution would be slightly stronger and a little more "hands on".

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Hardly a fair fight though. The stolen dog is invariably a smaller terrier type. It has its mouth taped up so it cannot defend itself and is then put in a pit with staffies or pit bulls who then tear it to bits to increase their blood lust.

No doubt some on this forum would give the human scum involved in this practice a severe talking to. Please forgive me for saying my solution would be slightly stronger and a little more "hands on".

George ex nb Alton retired

Bastards the lot of them!

I recall a programme on TV where an organised dog fight was arranged at a farm in Northern Ireland. The farm ower's dog lost but survived the occasion. Only then to be electrocuted by the savage owner by drenching him then attaching a mains lead to his body!

It beggars belief.

Cheers,

That looks ideal and could save an awful lot of angst when the wanderer goes missing. Do they do one for wives too?

My cat seems really chilled on the boat and is probably the "easiest" one I have ever had when it comes to traveling .

As long as the engine is running, you can cruise all day with windows and doors open, she just sleeps in her cat box under the bed.

But as soon as you turn the engine off, she comes out to see where we have moved to. You just have to make sure you do a head count BEFORE you turn engine on!

We're seriously considering getting a GPS tracker for the cat, but here are some concerns that we're considering (and you might like to consider too):

1. Does your cat wear a collar? Does it regularly get hung up on things? Can it carry weight around its neck? with our cat, the escape artistry extends to collars, and the GPS trackers are still heavy and bulky - enough so that I wouldn't want one around my neck. So we would put her in a harness with the tracking module strapped to the belly or the back. Also note: a breakaway collar or harness, as most of them are, will probably get pulled off if the cat gets into a sticky situation - you'll find it since the GPS will be attached, but you'll be back at Square No Cat.

2. Is it a visibly purebred or desirable cat? Strapping a £100+ device to a cat that has a perceived market value might not be a good idea.

3. How will you receive the tracking information? The device that @bigste linked above is a perfectly good one - but it works by sending a text of the pet's coordinates to your cell phone. You will need a topped-up SIM card on your pet GPS, a turned-on working phone with consistent service, and presumably another GPS to input the coordinates into once you get them - otherwise you'll just be like "Ah well, Fluffy's not lost, she's at Latitude: -11.33320, Longitude: 162.74560 and has possibly just boarded a train."

Other devices require a smartphone, such as an iPhone, that can handle apps - and their output is a map with a pin on it, assuming that you will be navigating along clearly marked streets to find an animal that is a block away, not crashing around an unmarked farmer's field in the dark.

tl;dr yes they are magic, but your cat is still a cat and you are still you.

Edited by nailora