New Boat Scammer Beware!

Mrtoast

Featured Posts

Hi there,

Newbie here. Me and the misses are looking for our first narrowboat and came across a boat to good to be true. After a quick exchange in emails in came to light it was just a scammer. Im not sure if there is anyone to report him to but beware. Im sure no one will fall this idiot.

Heres the info:

Boat is called Tonka - 2006 cruiser:

Email 1:

As you can see, I am selling it at a low price but it has nothing to do with the it's condition. I've lowered the price because something came up and I need some cash so I am looking for a fast sale. Everything is in perfect working condition, all documents are in order, service history.

I have to tell you that I'm currently out of town so I chose to handle the sale online. I will get somebody to bring it to you if you decide to buy it but we have to close the deal through Google Checkout which was specially designed for this kind of situation. I have no one home, my cousin will be traveling from a distance to collect it and meet you so I must be sure and not put him on the road based just on words. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to drive and inspect it before paying me. You will have a 5-days inspection period to decide whether you want to keep it or not before they release the funds to me. In this time you can even use it at your work. I will receive the payment from Google only if you are satisfied with it. If by any reason (it has any hidden damage or it isn't as i describe it) you can reject the deal. In this case Google Checkout will fully refund you and I will come and collect it on MY cost. You can read more at this address: easy-steps-google-checkout.co.uk

If you like it and want to inspect it for 5 days at your place, please confirm your name so i can register the sale with Google Checkout and proceed. If you don't mind I'll also need your post code so I can calculate the distance.

Steffen

Email 2:

I have no one home, my cousin will be traveling from a distance so I must be sure and not put him on the road based just on words. Also due to some family reasons me and my wife agreed to not involve my cousin in the money exchange part of our deal, he will help us only with the delivery so I would like the payment to be made through Google Checkout. The process works something like this:

- you provide name and address where it must be delivered;
- I register the sale with Google Checkout;
- Google Checkout provide further payment instructions;
- you have to deposit the amount into Google's representative bank account;
- Google Checkout confirm your deposit and instruct us to proceed with the delivery;
- my cousin deliver the boat;
- you inspect it;
- if you are satisfied Google forward me your payment otherwise you are refunded on the spot.

Everything is covered by Google Checkout, they will keep your money secured during the inspection period. This purchase protection guarantees that the boat is exactly as I described it; basically, once delivered, you'll have 5 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the boat in good order. Please visit http://easy-steps-google-checkout.co.uk/ for full details regarding the sale.

So if you want it, let me know your name and address where it must be delivered to proceed. If you will decide to not go through is not a problem I still quite have a few more offers from potential buyer.

Steffen

Email Reply 3:

Sounds like a shit scam to me. Nice try thou.

sounds like a foreigner to me looking at the grammar, personally i wouldn't have read past the 3rd line. pity you couldn't have traced it to him and found out which stolen boat he might be selling to you.

I don't even think it's stolen. Looking at the pictures it looks like a hire boat or a boat that was for sale at a much idealistic price! Just using other info. The boat number is 513551 on the picture.

Definitely and obviously a scam. It's been doing the rounds for at least three years, maybe more. Has got all the classic 'beware scam' flags:

Does it look too good to be true?

Look for broken/bad English. The vast majority of scams come from foreign countries.

Watch for Flowery language. Most scams use a lot of apologies, religious references, rambling about family problems.

Watch out for sweet talk. Can't meet with you but are certain you are a good person. There is always some reason why the scammer cannot meet with you. That is a big red flag.

Are they using an 'established' escrow service? You' find that they've set up what appears at first or even second glance to be a legitimate service...use it and your money will disappear.

Be aware that they will always show a sense of urgency. The basis of any scam is to get you to act without thinking about it. Act now think later.

Edited to add..following Mrtoast's contribution...Are they using an already published photo found on a web? (Difficult to tracethat one).

Our daughter, desperate to find some accommodation in the city she'd moved to, nearly got severely stung by one of these, very clever scams. She'd actually sent the considerable amount of money via Moneygram,when Moneygram - to their eternal credit, spotted it and got in touch with her to warn her in time.

Edited by Québec

Im not sure if it's a picture of a boat from the web. I've had a similar scam when trying to rent a flat also. Didn't fall it but these little buggers are getting clever! As soon as they mention transfer of money over the internet it's a scam...

Im not sure if it's a picture of a boat from the web. I've had a similar scam when trying to rent a flat also. Didn't fall it but these little buggers are getting clever! As soon as they mention transfer of money over the internet it's a scam...

In my daughter's case it was all too plausible. A series of well-written, persuasive emails on the scammers part. Using Moneygram to send money to a relative or friend (my daughter's, not the scammers) as evidence that she had the money. Sending them the receipt as proof that money had exchanged. Sounds OK (well it did to her at the time)...except, of course, the receipt provides enough information for the scammers to access whatever account the money was taken from.

TONKA Built by J. G. MARINE - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.083 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.94 metres (3 feet 1 inch ) Metal hull, power of 40 BHP.

Boat exists, but whether it is for sale or for hire or sat in a marina waiting to be pinched/sold without authority is another matter. It isn't on the appallingduck.

Similar happened last year to a forum member who was selling, their boat appeared as a bargain on ebay along with another cruiser. Luckily, they were alerted swiftly to the scam - stopped it, and decided to keep the boat anyway.

I've had exactly the same but not when buying, my situation is I'm a seller, I've got my NB DittyMay on eBay at the moment for sale as I've just ordered a 58ft NB.

Within seconds of submitting the advert I received two messages, basically saying the same as you have wrote I.e.

I am liking your item and am wanting to very much buy it from you, I am out of town currently but I will have my agent collect it from you as soon as possible, all i need from you is your PayPal address and I will pay the monies into your account.

My agent will then arrange to collect the item in good faith and monies will be paid into your PayPal account

Please forward your PayPal email account to me and I will put monies in right away.

God bless you

Mary.

I had two of these emails in minutes of each other, the scammer alarm bells rand immediately, I ignored the first two, but by the time the third one arrived I just sent back a very expletive message basically saying f#%k off you scammer I will report you if you contact me again, guess what.......... No more scamming messages.

One question tho, if I were to allow one of these scammers to put money in my PayPal account, how do they actually scam me?

I mean, how does it work? They see an item listed, they send a message asking for PayPal account details, then they presumably pay money (laundered money???) into my account, then what? What's in it for them? Am I missing something ?

Don't get me wrong IM NOT GOING TO GIVE THEM MY DETAILS AS IT IS A CLEAR SCAM! I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT WORKS IN THEIR FAVOUR, what can they get from my PayPal details?

Nik

I have no idea if this is similar to the op case, but consider this - Suppose I have access (illegal) to an account. I can transfer money but it will be traceable, so I transfer it to you - say £50k. You then give me your boat (but actually you have no idea who I am) which I change the appearance of and quickly sell for say £30k.

So I have converted £50k of 'dirty' money into £30k of legit money that can not be traced to me. You however get a visit from police wanting to know why you have received £50k of stolen money, which you will have to pay back. You have no contact details for me apart from perhaps a hotmail account and a pay as you go mobile.

So even taking the money and shutting your account will still get you a visit from the police for receiving stolen money, money laundering etc. and may even get you a visit from people you really do not want to meet.

I am liking your item and am wanting to very much buy it from you, I am out of town currently but I will have my agent collect it from you as soon as possible, all i need from you is your PayPal address and I will pay the monies into your account. My agent will then arrange to collect the item in good faith and monies will be paid into your PayPal account

Please forward your PayPal email account to me and I will put monies in right away.

God bless you

Mary.

basically saying f#%k off you scammer I will report you if you contact me again, guess what.......... No more scamming messages.

One question tho, if I were to allow one of these scammers to put money in my PayPal account, how do they actually scam me?

I mean, how does it work? They see an item listed, they send a message asking for PayPal account details, then they presumably pay money (laundered money???) into my account, then what? What's in it for them? Am I missing something ?

Nik

Here's one way it works:

If you have, say, a car for sale, you may find interest from overseas. They will be very polite and charming, and usually tell you a story something like this:-

'I see you want £3,000 for the car. My son/nephew/cousin is coming to work in the UK and it is very expensive and difficult to send money over to him for a deposit on renting a house/buying a car/student fees (etc., etc.,) -You could do me a big favour! You sound a genuine, trustworthy, honourable chap, and if I send you £10,000, could you please give my lad the car and the cash?'

This puts you, the seller, in a position of trust. YOU are the one HOLDING THEIR MONEY... What could go wrong?

Well, plenty!

This transfer business is very long-winded and complex, but the £10,000 gets transferred from an account which is empty! It comes through a stupid, unbelievable, loop-hole in the clearing system, looks to have entered your account, the guy turns up, you give him the keys, the car, log book and the cash.

Dont be surprised to be offered £100 for your trouble!

You think it's all gone well, and you've been the good guy here.

Next thing you know, a few days later, your bank tells you they got bounced for ten thou. They want you to pay it back in! Well, you have three thousand, but the car is gone, and so is £7,000.

(from: ebay - how they work the car scam)

TONKA Built by J. G. MARINE - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.083 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.94 metres (3 feet 1 inch ) Metal hull, power of 40 BHP.

Boat exists, but whether it is for sale or for hire or sat in a marina waiting to be pinched/sold without authority is another matter. It isn't on the appallingduck.

Similar happened last year to a forum member who was selling, their boat appeared as a bargain on ebay along with another cruiser. Luckily, they were alerted swiftly to the scam - stopped it, and decided to keep the boat anyway.

That description fits Lemontoes' boat Tonka - Except its a trad stern and not cruiser stern

That description fits Lemontoes' boat Tonka - Except its a trad stern and not cruiser stern

I knew that I had heard that boat name before.....the number given by MrToast, should he be real, is the Shead listed boat

Lemontoes, move quick...

Edited by matty40s

Worth remembering if anyone sells anything and is paid via Paypal;

If the item you sell is not delivered by a means that is trackable online then, should the buyer declare they have not received their goods, Paypal will refund the buyer.

It does not have to be anything as large as a boat or a car! You might have something much smaller and more portable but be worth a bob or two and the buyer says they only live a short distance away so they would like to collect. You are within your rights to demand they have to pay you cash upon collection. Do not allow anything to leave your custody by any means other than a trackable carrier unless you are prepared to lose the money you have been paid for it.

I do not always follow my own advise, if I send something fairly low value it often goes by a cheaper method but it will be insured to it's full value and so I can claim from the carrier if it fails to turn up but generally speaking if someone wants to come in person and collect an item I always demand cash upon collection because I know the moment they leave with my goods I have no recognised proof that they have them and so Paypal will always err on the side of the buyer.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I've just shown an interest in this one to good to be true

I am glad you are interested about my narrowboat.

The price i hope to sell the boat 57ft Semi-Trad Stern Narrowboat is £6500 . First i have to let you know that I am currently in Madrid because my husband is from Spain and we decided to move here as he got a very good job offer and he wanted to be closer to his parents. I am selling it because the money spent with the movement was more than I expected and our financial situation is going from bad to worse.I'm pregnant second time and others are now the priorities. I need the money fast and that is why it is so cheap. I will cover all the shipping fees and the insurance as well (FREE SHIPPING !).You will not have to pay additional taxes, just the price for it.

The Narrowboat is in perfect conditions, made in 2005,It has recently been "blacked". The name of my narroboat is"Pugwash" has been lovingly cared for and finished to a very high standard.Comes with a huge 3Kw Pure Sine Inverter.Vanette 4 ring hob, oven and grill. Microwave, stainless steel sink and drainer. Side hatch. 12-240v fridge .Aft cabin fixed double (4 berth). Plenty of storage. Radiator.2 captains chairs, foot stool, flat screen TV, CD player, radiator. Evergreen (Solid Fuel) Double wood burner etc.

British Waterways licence,British Safety Scheme (BSS) Certificate.

Beautifully fitted out with a light and airy oak interior of excellent craftsmanship, Pugwash also features a well laid out accommodation making it an ideal live-aboard.

Please let me know if you want to see more pics

Best Regads

Olivia Kerr

And yes we have pics

Hi again Mick,

Thank you again for your interest in my "Pugwash" .My busband is employed at Lufthansa Corporation and he has a special status and facility regarding cargo transportation. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the boat house.

With this facility that my husband has , I agree to cover all the shipping costs.It will ship with a Lufthansa partener service and once it arrives to the closest city it will be trailed to your house or in the place you want to put it.

Shipping takes less than 5-6 days from Madrid.Also , after you will recive the boat , you will have 3 days to inspect all the details of the Narrowboat and all the papers.I also recommand you to make a inspection with a good dealer or service.The narrowboat is absolutely immaculate,as it can be seen in the photos.

Layout

Aft cabin fixed double (4 berth). Plenty of storage. Radiator

Bathroom

Full size Quadrant corner shower cabinet. Thetford cassette bench type toilet. Vanity sink. Heated chrome towel rail.

Galley

Vanette 4 ring hob, oven and grill. Microwave, stainless steel sink and drainer. Side hatch. 12-240v fridge (Shoreline)

Dinette - Pulman style, converting to double bed. Radiator

Saloon

2 captains chairs, foot stool, flat screen TV, CD player, radiator. Evergreen (Solid Fuel) Double wood burner

Additional Specifications:

Cratch covers front and rear

Blacked May 2012

All steel semi trad: 10:6:5:4

Heating – Webasto central heating with 3 radiators plus towel rail

Batteries – 3 x Leisure, 1 x Starter

Water Tank – Stainless Steel – 90 gallons

Electrics

12v – 240v shoreline, sockets throughout

3Kw Pure Sine Inverter/charger 240v hookup

Engine

Beta 38 37.5 bhp with PRM 120D gearbox.

The engine run excellent, Well maintained, oil changed regularly and it has always been flushed, lubricated and cleaned.

Overall Dimensions

Length 17.37 metres (57 ft)

Beam 2.08 metres (6'10")

Draft 0.46 metres (18")

Fuel Tank 180 litres (40 gallons)

Water Tank 400 litres (90 gallons)

British Waterways licence,British Safety Scheme (BSS) Certificate valid until April 2014

Insurance valid until May 2014, all transferable.

I will apreciate a fast answer from your part.

Best Regards

Olivia Kerr

Air transport and carriage to a craning in point of your choosing.....for the price of a first class stamp.

wonder what a narrowboat is doing in deepest Spain, wrong turning out of Limehouse?.....

I wonder if Olivia is married to Wayne.

Edited by matty40s

I would imagine having a current British Waterways Licence makes it a bit of rarity - I am certain it would not have needed one of those for Spanish waters ..... and does anyone know where you can get a current British Waterways licence from?

If this is on ebay please send the link or item number so we can all report it