Sterling AB12160 Question

andybarrett1

Featured Posts

Hi All

Open to suggestions with this one, Having recently replaced my domestic battery bank with sealed cells (Lucas 110AH) but leaving my existing start battery as was (non sealed) my question is this.

How best to set the jumpers for battery type. There is only one set of jumpers (sealed, open, gel etc) and I now have two battery types connected?

I suspect the answer will be I need to buy another sealed cell for starter and set jumpers for same?

Or what might an interim solution might be?

Again open to offers and sugggestions!

BR

Andy

Hi All

Open to suggestions with this one, Having recently replaced my domestic battery bank with sealed cells (Lucas 110AH) but leaving my existing start battery as was (non sealed) my question is this.

How best to set the jumpers for battery type. There is only one set of jumpers (sealed, open, gel etc) and I now have two battery types connected?

I suspect the answer will be I need to buy another sealed cell for starter and set jumpers for same?

BR

Andy

Ring Sterling Power Product they are very helpful

Alex

There's not much difference between sealed and unsealed. If you set it to sealed, the charge voltage is probably slightly less but unlikely to be a problem for the starter battery. It gives 14.4 instead of 14.8, which will be fine.

Edited by nicknorman

Hi All

BR

Andy

Wherever possible, check with the battery manufacturer to see what charge voltage they recommend then set the charger accordingly:

http://www.lucaselectrical.co.uk/contact-lucas-electrical.php

Having said that, if they recommend 14.4V for their sealed batts and the batts seem to be losing performance, check back with them and explain, and ask if it can be increased to 14.8V

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

There's not much difference between sealed and unsealed. If you set it to sealed, the charge voltage is probably slightly less but unlikely to be a problem for the starter battery. It gives 14.4 instead of 14.8, which will be fine.

It might not look very different but 14.8V will cause lead acid cells to gas. This won't matter much with open cells because you can add water to replace the oxygen and hydrogen that has gassed off. It will matter with sealed cells because you can't do that.

I would advise you to select the lower charging voltage and accept that it would take a longer time to charge the engine battery. This won't matter because it hardly needs any charging.

N

Hi All

BR

Andy

The Sterling A to B has a dedicated separate output for the starter battery. Just set the DIP switches for the sealed service batteries therefore and all will be fine.

Thank you all for reply....It does seem to be as I thought... Select the lower charge voltage (14.4v for the sealed) and the starter battery will still charge but maybe no it quite as fast.

I did call Sterling but being on hold lost its interest after a few minutes:-)

Thank you once again all.

BR

Andy

Edited by andybarrett1

Thank you all for reply....It does seem to be as I thought... Select the lower charge voltage (14.4v for the sealed) and the starter battery will still charge but maybe no it quite as fast.

BR

Andy

Sterling do respond quite quickly to e-mails. (and the spelling often gives you a chuckle)

Phil

BR

Andy

As I mentioned above there is an entirely separate starter battery output. The main service battery output whose upper voltage is controlled by the DIP switches, boosts the charge voltage in 15 minute cycles with a 2.5 min rest period between. This is actually beneficial to service battery charge regime giving time for charge to be absorbed within battery plates as well as giving the alternator a rest from working flat out.

During the service battery rest period the starter battery actually receives more current as well due to increased charge voltage although it isn't adjustable.

This is all explained in the A to B instructions here. Any answer you get from Sterling on the phone is not likely to be so detailed so its a case of RTFM rolleyes.gif

Edited by by'eck
  • Greenie 2