STOVES

bowten

Featured Posts

I have a multifuel stove on the boat and I have been wondering about changing the cast iron inserts for vermiculite fire bricks.What's the difference? Does it need to be done if burning coal only?

As Luctor says it would help if you describe what make of stove it is.

Our Morso Squirrel came without cast iron inserts but on advice from another boater I bought some as we mainly burn smokeless coal. The sloped inserts work very well at guiding the coals towards the centre of the grate without the need for repetitive griddling.

As an aside and completely off topic, I read your account of Tenacious being built. The fabrication quality looks good and are Aintree Boats an off-shoot of Liverpool Boats?

Mike

Edited by Doorman

As Luctor says it would help if you describe what make of stove it is.

Our Morso Squirrel came without cast iron inserts but on advice from another boater I bought some as we mainly burn smokeless coal. The sloped inserts work very well at guiding the coals towards the centre of the grate without the need for repetitive griddling.

As an aside and completely off topic, I read your account of Tenacious being built. The fabrication quality looks good and are Aintree Boats an off-shoot of Liverpool Boats?

Mike

Aintree Boats are a completely different outfit.

So are you saying that cast iron inserts are better when burning coal?

Aintree Boats are a completely different outfit.

So are you saying that cast iron inserts are better when burning coal?

Not quite, Morso are!

When these stoves are imported to the UK they come as standard units designed primarily as wood burning stoves. It is only when you enquire further, do you discover that whilst burning smokeless and NOT house coal, you have to make some adjustments to have the stove burn efficiently. The inserts are a perfect example.

Another revelation was that the bottom spinner has a steel washer housed behind the retaining bolt. This effectively restricts the amount that you can unscrew the spinner and thus effectively restricts the airflow for coal burning purposes. Initially, when we first used our stove, I could never get it to burn at more than a mellow heat setting. It was only when I removed this washer did the stove burn freely.

I believe that both the installer and end user should be made more aware of this when taking delivery of the stove! We have met a few boaters whom have chanced using house coal to fuel their fires, but only at the cost of their fire bricks needing replacing prematurely. Morso advise against practise.

Not quite, Morso are!

When these stoves are imported to the UK they come as standard units designed primarily as wood burning stoves. It is only when you enquire further, do you discover that whilst burning smokeless and NOT house coal, you have to make some adjustments to have the stove burn efficiently. The inserts are a perfect example.

Another revelation was that the bottom spinner has a steel washer housed behind the retaining bolt. This effectively restricts the amount that you can unscrew the spinner and thus effectively restricts the airflow for coal burning purposes. Initially, when we first used our stove, I could never get it to burn at more than a mellow heat setting. It was only when I removed this washer did the stove burn freely.

I believe that both the installer and end user should be made more aware of this when taking delivery of the stove! We have met a few boaters whom have chanced using house coal to fuel their fires, but only at the cost of their fire bricks needing replacing prematurely. Morso advise against practise.

Doorman that`s interesting, i `ve got a morso squirrel stove and intend to use coal on it, can you tell me what these inserts are and where i might get them?

Thanks for the tip regarding the washer,well worth knowing.

Doorman that`s interesting, i `ve got a morso squirrel stove and intend to use coal on it, can you tell me what these inserts are and where i might get them?

Hi,

we bought them from a solid fuel stove shop but advancing years dictate that I can't remember where, sorry!

As Bowten mentioned in his OP, some people simply place fire bricks at either side of the fire box to similar effect, but we preferred the cast iron alternatives as they never need replacing once bought.

One thing that's also worth noting is that dangerously, some people remove the small metal tab from the bottom door on a Morso Squirrel, which then allows the door to be opened whilst the upper door remains shut. This feature is not there for appearance sake, it is to prevent the user from inadvertantly leaving the door ajar whilst the fire is in operation and thus allowing it to roar uncontrolled. Resulting in a potential boat fire!

Safety, where solid fuel stoves are concerned, should be paramount in people's minds!

Edited by Doorman

Hi,

we bought them from a solid fuel stove shop but advancing years dictate that I can't remember where, sorry!

As Bowten mentioned in his OP, some people simply place fire bricks at either side of the fire box to similar effect, but we preferred the cast iron alternatives as they never need replacing once bought.

One thing that's also worth noting is that dangerously, some people remove the small metal tab from the bottom door on a Morso Squirrel, which then allows the door to be opened whilst the upper door remains shut. This feature is not there for appearance sake, it is to prevent the user from inadvertantly leaving the door ajar whilst the fire is in operation and thus allowing it to roar uncontrolled. Resulting in a potential boat fire!

Safety, where solid fuel stoves are concerned, should be paramount in people's minds!

Thanks for that, all information gratefully received especially regarding safety.

Here you are:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/Heating/SolidFuelSparesAccessories/StoveSpares/Squirrel1410/HS150.aspx