At long last, 30 years in the wait

W+T

Featured Posts

Well what can i say, from being a lad fishing with my grandad on the canals and just loving and wanting a NB, this week i got us one. It was a offer i couldnt refuse, and would of been daft not to, well i think it would. I have seen this boat for many years sat there in the yard and not being cared for, this is atleast 8 years, and more. I am on a small budget but its a investment to me. First thing is first though, i need to sort a place for it, either at home or dry dock for a while untill its ready for the water, i know you should gte a survey but it was so cheap and has to go quick as the yard is closing down.

What i am doing is looking it as a empty shell with an engine that doesnt work, as that is what it realy is.

tn_Burnley-20130620-00530_zps292cc949.jp

tn_Burnley-20130620-00529_zps8ae7c3b7.jp

tn_Burnley-20130620-00528_zpscfb79571.jp

The inside is past use and will need ripping out, which isnt a bad thing as the base mite need fettling

tn_Burnley-20130620-00527_zpsaec31662.jp

tn_Burnley-20130620-00526_zps02b5846a.jp

tn_Burnley-20130620-00525_zpsa5e25aaf.jp

It has this Lister engine, dont know much about it except i think its an ST2 Lister, hope i can run it on veg oil

tn_Burnley-20130622-00531_zps44bfabff.jp

tn_Burnley-20130622-00532_zps013d3358.jp

So as said it needs a new home for the refit, i can bring it home but i will loose all my work area and double drive for it, but if needs must and for ease of working on it i will.

Thanks for the congtarulationsbiggrin.png

I am based in Radcliffe, Manchester, if it dont bring it home as close to home as possible, i have found some but they are close to £30pw, thats with full access and power. Just keep thinking of that would be a good saving towards the fitout.

From experience, if you can have it at home I most defiantly would. You will get so much more done, and you'd be surprised how often you will just think of something and can nip out and look. I think even if mine hadn't been on site close by it would have taken much longer. Also a snatched hour or half hour can achieve a lot when there is no travelling time.

Vote is for home.

Can I suggest if you go for the home option,that you have a hull survey before having it transported. Might save a bit of hassle in the long run.

Hi Peter, hassle as in what kind, i think or am expecting the base plate to need a fettle but the sides are good, i have a neighbour who can do it ultrasonic testing for me, And as it is or will be a shell when its home it will be easier for him.

Well disaster No 1frusty.gif

I went today to confirm the transport to get it home, now i spoke to the monkeys last week, not the grinder, today i spoke to the grinder though to sort it out, well....he didnt know anything about it and said that they cant do it on there Hiab wagons as its to heavy, i spoke to the chap who gave the quote, he said `oh i didnt think it was that heavy` what a ^%%^, he even asked me the rough weight and length, as you would.

Well anyway back to square one, i spoke to a chap i know with a crane and flat deck but he wont be able to lift it into the garden at home as the 4 telephone wires are in the way, and as its heavy weight etc etc, but he will go up and put it on a flat deck and then ito the canal 100 yards away for £550, a bit more cash bu then its in the cut, but now it down to getting the hull checked before i do, my mate can do it but i need to see when and if he needs me to jack it up so he can do it, or i will need to remove all the ballast and floor for him, all this i 2 weeksfrusty.gif

• 2 weeks later...

we are ready for the off, August 10th is moving day, i have got the crane and flat deck sorted and also a storage area for it, cheap at £365 a year inc power, BUT, always a but isnt there, it can only be worked on working hours and every weekend working hours. Its only 10 mins from home so i will have to cope,

The plan at the minute is to get it useable and get in on the water asap.

I am in hope that the engine is good to save as i dont know much about that either, looking forward to that bit.

Ill be back with the goings onbiggrin.png

Hi Peter, hassle as in what kind, i think or am expecting the base plate to need a fettle but the sides are good, i have a neighbour who can do it ultrasonic testing for me, And as it is or will be a shell when its home it will be easier for him.

That is what I was thinking about, doing he refurb and repaint,blacking etc at home and then after a hull survey, finding out that the hull needs overplating.

• 1 month later...

Well what a week its been, i can tell you are now so happy and can now relax as the new project is in its new home for the refurb. Its been a few week of faffing to sort the crane and driver never mind the hard standing, i got my own spot at he back of a caravan storage place close to my home, about a 5 min drive., the problem was that the area i got was i need of being leveled out with a mnni digger the company had got me to do so, also they needed it for a job the need doing this week. Well the digger should of been here 2 weeks ago but it happend to arrive yesterday, 24 hrs before the boat arrival, not good timing i can say, they got a bit done but then the lads who was doing the digging had to go and do there own job in the caravan shop, i was to finish work Friday afternoon to get the sleepers down, i got there and only half the digging had been done, OMG....yes the stress had kicked in again, things never go to plan with me.

So i jumped in the digger and set to work, now i had 2hrs to move and level maybe 20ton of soil, all with a mini digger, i ran out of timefrusty.gif

So, lucky there was a customer wanting to take there caravan early so one of the employees opened up early for them so i was up at 6am, well i was awake since 2am a si couldnt sleep, i got there again to finish off and level it before 8am as this was when i had to collect the boat, so cutting it fine we did it as my mate got there at 7ish to help out. I just threw the sleepers in place on some paving slabs and away we went to meet the crane and waggon driver.

Still on edge a bit, the rest all went good and its home, i worked out from the displacement to weight 8750kg, i wasnt far off as the crane driver said it was just over 8000kg, that fitted out with the ballast of gravel.

I know it needs a new bottom and lower sides, first job is to rip it all out and remove ballast and take the engine home to see if i can rebuild it, i have just been told the engine has a loose crank shaft and thats why it was going to be scrapped, i am sure i can fix that smile.png

I have these vids if they work of the lift

th_VID-20130817-00008_zps3abcfa65.jpg

th_VID-20130817-00011_zpsba4fe280.jpg

Edited by W+T

• 2 weeks later...

I got started last weekend, i got a bit done but only did a few hours on ripping out, it started like this from the start

44ccb9aa-99db-4ccf-b875-82594177afb7_zps

435e3b88-8897-417d-8591-f8e7a40c84d9_zps

i couldnt get a good pic of the bathroom but it there in the back ground full of more rotten plywood, much like the rest of the boat. Shame as i bet it was a good boat in its day, the whole boat is full fitted so there is little i need to buy, fittings wise, there is a new, brand new that is fridge fittied, cooker looks good, and stove is ervicable, all will need a service really, the boiler even sparks and looks in good nick.

i started from the front to get the stove out, my god i forgot how heavy they are, i like this stove so i would like to find out what type it is

tn_3333206_zps9e5ef902.jpg

tn_3333207_zps0caee057.jpg

Yes grubby but nothing a bit of a wire brush and that good owd elbow grease cant fix.

I forgot how much i hate rockwool, it gets everywhere dont it, it will be replaced with either slabs or board like Kingspan type, but cheaper make.

What is left is the kitchen and bathroom to be removed but i got down to see what the tin worm had been getting upto

2cfc8785-e2f5-49db-94c0-0ebaca871cb9_zps

I guess it definatley needs a new base and side

tn_3333208_zpsa094f7f5.jpg

Outside

I thought it had been overplated in the past with the look of this but it mite of had a new section fitted due to the underneath being level, i think, theres that must rust flaking its hard to tell

tn_3333212_zpsce04eb0b.jpg

tn_3333218_zps0113a8e3.jpg

tn_3333215_zps000d406d.jpg

can be picked off in 1-2mm bits

tn_3333213_zps53d9d8de.jpg

And a rub down with just the fingers you see the pitting, bet i could nock a nailthrough that in places

tn_3333229_zps5d9e0cf9.jpg

tn_3333211_zps9a9a3c16.jpg

Around the back end its no better, it will need a new lower tiller and rudder, aswell as over plate.

tn_3333219_zps26dbaba7.jpg

Bit stuck i think lol

tn_3333220_zps674b5b56.jpg

tn_3333221_zps9ab9ed81.jpg

It will sure be an awful lot of work, if you can do it all yourself it may not even be that expensive, and after many months of hard labour, you may end up with a boat that will be good for many years of pleasure, and she will be a boat that you know from A to Z.

Take lots of photo's of everything you do, if you ever sell her that will be good to show to prospective buyers.

Good luck with the job,

Peter.

Thanks folks, i have to say although this is the biggest project yet, in both ways as in size and work, not including the house that is, i am so excited to get on with it, it does not daunt me at all, i think thats why SWMBO and friends think i am mad, all i see is what can be done.

I am going to spend a few days on it next week, i have a week off work, well my full time job that is, so i wiull be plastering and fitting a new kitchen in the house, much to my own fault of wanting a big fish tank, i had to redo all the kitchen to get it in. Once that is done i will be on the boat finishing off the strip out.

Hi Richard, once all is out and its bare i will be getting a friend to ultrasound it just to see what it really is like, maybe end of next week, all depends on how the rest goes on, i have SWMBO comin gto help out so will speed thing up, although I am convinced that it needs a new bottom/over plating as it is so pitted, i hit the lower edge of the engine bay with a bolster chisel and it holed in a pit hole.

As Peter says, it mite not cost a lot to do as i am doing it all myself, i have been having trouble with power to run my welder and had to resort to looking at a generator, but at around £2000 to buy or £170 per day hire it over what i want to spend, wont cost much more to refit it. I have asked a few mobile welders to come to give me a price on welding it after i have set all the plates in place, BUT i spoke to the site owner and he says there just mite be 3 phase power near by, i will check this out tomorrow.

Thanks Laurie Booth, nice wee fire, and nice size for the boat for those cosy winter cruises next year........well maybe be the year after........or the year after......lol

Edited by W+T

This weekend has been a mad bit on the house so i can play out on the boat, got a load of plastering done and tiling just to get to the boat, even SWMBO came along as we had a few hours spare after the house was done, we got all the remains of last week thrown out ready to be loaded onto the trailer tomorrow, i hope, i will need to take it to the tip, i was hoping to burn it on site but that was a no no, doesnt matter.

I was happy to find a lot if not all the fittings are new, they dont seem to be used at all.

Quick take a picclapping.gif , SWMBO ( T ) getting stuck into the itchy stuff

tn_Bury-20130902-00848_zps57fb930d.jpg

tn_Bury-20130902-00849_zps6d4c4b9d.jpg

The Morco look good and sparks

tn_Bury-20130902-00852_zps44492dc1.jpg

b99683b8-e2d0-4a5a-8630-cfac6b72f0b3_zps

e20fd702-96b4-424d-a016-978e8bcbb066_zps

OOooooo i think i found the boat ID number

tn_Bury-20130902-00853_zps751d45bc.jpg

i will look into it to see if i can find any info on the bao, i havnt found anything as yet,

This is how we left it today, just the bit of roof and side wall upto the wetroom, literally a wetroom lol, when we refit ti though we intend it to be a proper wetroom and fully tiled but smaller to give more galley space, there was little worktop area for those Sunday dinners for SWMBO to make :)

tn_Bury-20130902-00854_zps221a7445.jpg

tn_Bury-20130902-00855_zps956141fd.jpg

You will see in the above pic all we are keeping which needs to be taken home to clean up and service, Even the porta loo is unused, yes i did have a sniff and good look inside, never used thank god.

Oh and as all the wiring and pipe work etc etc is inplace i am going to atempt to not move much as the fit out will be near the same as was, this way it will be alot quicker and cheaper, it mite make things a bit of a pain to work around but it will more wprk and cost to redo it all.

tn_Bury-20130902-00856_zpsceaea9d7.jpg

ANNIE MAY Built by BARNARD - Length 10.68 metres (35 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 13BHP. Registered with BW number 52009 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11/07/2007.

This is the Jim Shead entry for that reg. number.

Hey John thanks for that :), i just come on line to look for the Jim Shead site but i forgot what it was called lol. I was wondering when it was built but as i am rebuilding it i guess its going to be near new...well sort of.

thanks again John

Did i say how much i HATE ROCKWOOLangry.png

Just spent a lot of the day ripping out the rest and itching like a fleabitten mutt most of the day. Thank god its all gone, except for the bits that have settled in the gravel ballast for the next visit, not good, think i will just wet all the floor to keep it at bay before i dig it outwink.png

I cant believe i managed to get all the guts of the boat onto my trailer ready for the tip tomorrow, thats if they let me dump it, always a prat of a jobsworth there at my local tip.

I cant believe there is so much wood in a such a small NB

tn_IMG-20130903-00859_zps61dc7181.jpg

tn_IMG-20130903-00857_zps18ea91c3.jpg

I cant wait unitll its all gutted, this is the bit i most rather not do.

But its near done as you can see

tn_Bury-20130903-00860_zps91243272.jpg

795bb985-566e-4b84-a14c-ab7c0ea70e16_zps

A bit of a pain in the rear was that the owner of the building that i was going to wire up a 32amp socket for my welder has said he doesnt want me MESS with his electrics, even though i explained i was going to get a sparky in to do it. I even offered him money when i use the power, i was told though that he is hard work at times, anoying as i said i had a stud extractor he can borrow tomorrow, good mind to say i cant find it now....but i ma not like that, once he knows i am will to help folk out he mite have change of heart.

Anyway if not i will be getting a mobile welder and stick weld it now, a genny is to expensive as i need a 13KVA or therabouts genny, i ahve looked into all ways of getting the overplating done, even had 2 chaps come and and give me prices for the welding, just the welding as i will do all the fab work, one chap says it will take 5 full days to weld it up......bit OTT to me, but his quote did come back the same as the other chaps who said it will take him 1-2 days, quotes from both worked at around around £750, the second chap who said 1-2 days had a full outfit and hid own genny which if i did go this way i would have him as the other chap didnt have mobile power.

I am looking for a Genset or similar so i can do it myself then sell the rig on. Good job there is no rush, i have learned that rushing to get things done doesnt pay and causes.......well gray hairs and a bald spot lol.

A bit to go at anyway untill it needs overplating as i only get weekends to work on it and work hours, i am just lucky that we are skint and not going on holiday now this week as that was the plan.

• 4 weeks later...