Hunting down cabin bilge inspection hole/hatch

Featured Posts

Fair enough - I thought it might be a one (or less) hit wonder... The engineer at the marina laughed anyway, but he couldn't mock me too much as I was providing the beer!
Off to funeral tomorrow, so camera will have to wait.

Hope to get help cutting a new inspection hatch, if I can get the blessed carpet up!!

WTS x

Fair enough - I thought it might be a one (or less) hit wonder... The engineer at the marina laughed anyway, but he couldn't mock me too much as I was providing the beer!

Off to funeral tomorrow, so camera will have to wait.

Hope to get help cutting a new inspection hatch, if I can get the blessed carpet up!!

WTS x

In another thread( which I can't find) someone recomended a slim camera with built in lights on 5m of cable. Plugs into computer USB. About £12 from Chinesia.

I thought it worth a punt and It turned out to be the dogs whatsits & has saved loads of time & effort.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump this old thread.The boat I'm restoring gives me the same problem re bilge access - ie there isn't any. However, my slightly o/t question is regarding the water tank. I know roughly where it is, because I can see where the onboard extractor water pipe goes into the floorboard. I suspect there is no tank as such, merely a compartmentalised part of the hull. I also surmise that there is no lid to it, because I can fill it forever, and after about half an hour's filling at a BW water point, there is quite a bit of new water in the bilge at the rear of the boat. After I've opened the taps (for a long time!) and also pumped out the rear bilge everything is dry again.

I was wondering if any of the wonderful DIYers on the site have come up with getting a rough estimate of how much water there is in the tank at any given point? I appreciate this is rather difficult without knowing the tank's dimensions! My compromise at the moment has been to buy a flowmeter and fit it on the end of the water hose when filling the tank. At least then I know that as long as I stop filling after x gallons have gone in, the rear bilge shouldn't flood again. But obviously this means I may be filling it more frequently than I really need to.

Sorry to bump this old thread.The boat I'm restoring gives me the same problem re bilge access - ie there isn't any. However, my slightly o/t question is regarding the water tank. I know roughly where it is, because I can see where the onboard extractor water pipe goes into the floorboard. I suspect there is no tank as such, merely a compartmentalised part of the hull. I also surmise that there is no lid to it, because I can fill it forever, and after about half an hour's filling at a BW water point, there is quite a bit of new water in the bilge at the rear of the boat. After I've opened the taps (for a long time!) and also pumped out the rear bilge everything is dry again.

I was wondering if any of the wonderful DIYers on the site have come up with getting a rough estimate of how much water there is in the tank at any given point? I appreciate this is rather difficult without knowing the tank's dimensions! My compromise at the moment has been to buy a flowmeter and fit it on the end of the water hose when filling the tank. At least then I know that as long as I stop filling after x gallons have gone in, the rear bilge shouldn't flood again. But obviously this means I may be filling it more frequently than I really need to.

You may have a hole in the tank, it is unusual for a built in tank not to have an inspection hatch to clean and paint it.

You may have a hole in the tank, it is unusual for a built in tank not to have an inspection hatch to clean and paint it.

Yes, that is my unspoken fear. But I presume if so it must be fairly high up in the tank, because once a certain amount of water has been drained from the tank there is still apparently plenty of water in it, but the rear bilge is bone dry.