Fuel/coal boat Question

davidc

Featured Posts

I’m thinking very seriously of buying a fuel/coal boat which stopped working about a year ago I will not name it, but am sure those in the know will know it,

My questions are

1. Is there a need for another fuel boat on the network
  2. If so where
  3. is its old patch of Oxford/Coventry still viable

Also what other services would you offer?

Any help please PM me if you do not wish to post it public

Be aware that whatever goodwill that business had a year ago will have pretty well evaporated by now. So, don't pay too much for the business

Richard

Thanks I know that i'm counting on no goodwill.

If I go ahead it will be from scratch and cream if there is any goodwill left.

I'm not sure I explained myself properly. Last time I knew the price of that/those boats, it seemed to be far too high because it was including a working business. If you are just buying the boat(s), make sure that's all you are paying for because the business as it stands is probably worthless

Richard

I would have thought it'd be better to just get a 'sailaway' 70 footer with a 15ft cabin on it if it was for trading, or are people more keen to buy from an 'old' boat?

I buy from whoever is passing, but the three boats which pass regularly are all 'old' ie the dry bits are old the wet bit less so

:unsure:

edite errers

Edited by magnetman

I’m thinking very seriously of buying a fuel/coal boat which stopped working about a year ago I will not name it, but am sure those in the know will know it,

My questions are

1. Is there a need for another fuel boat on the network
  2. If so where
  3. is its old patch of Oxford/Coventry still viable

Any help please PM me if you do not wish to post it public

The L&L doesn't seem to have any/many fuel boats. Might be worth a look.

Bob

]

]

I don't know if it is feasible but i'd be tempted to put a big fridge in the hold and fill it with beer

:)

not sure about licensing laws but there us some sort of arrangement for a floating business istr

Are you a registered dealer in controlled oil? If not check it out on HMRC website. A licence is not transferable.

You need to be sure you get a registration otherwise you cannot trade. You would also have to pay more for a trading licence and insurance.

All needs to be considered before buying the boat.

From my perception once upon a time the boats had their own recognised patches, and you didn't get that much of multiple boats covering the same area.

Down our way, at least, that has all changed, and increasingly it seems multiple boats trade on the same patch.

However that in itself doesn't increase the size of the customer base, so there must surely be less of a living made out of it if boats are travelling further to a decreasing share of the market.

I have to say I am confused about some boats that I thought had set up to operate in one area, but now spend weeks away from that area, often trading somewhere else. Whilst there are no doubt many patches where there is one clear established supplier, it seems to me that in other areas the whole thing is a lot more confused.

I don't know the area, but "Auriga", (Gravenor Boating Company), is certainly currently listed as covering a patch that includes Northern Oxford and Coventry - others may know if that is actually right?

Are you a registered dealer in controlled oil? If not check it out on HMRC website. A licence is not transferable.

You need to be sure you get a registration otherwise you cannot trade. You would also have to pay more for a trading licence and insurance.

All needs to be considered before buying the boat.

Thank you I'm aware of that

but have to make up my mind if there a need first

you should definitly buy Tadworth.

( worth a try ? )

PM me the details no promises