A Lady, Two Dogs and a Cat.

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Been a lurker for some time, however this thread has inspired me to dip my toe in the water (see what I did there?:clapping: ).

I know this one is a bit far away for the lady in question, but I think something similar might be an option, as I believe these are the more stable of the GRP tubs.

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/sawley_marina/brokerage/sm_9036_taffy

Kevin.

Welcome that looks like a good suggestion to me.

Hi Cheshire Rose.

Sarah was talking about the possibility of hauling a boat!

She had spoken to someone at Golden Nook Farm moorings who had a little 20 odd footer for sale, but people had spoken to her about the possible pitfalls of a cheap boat!

Well if I had listened to everyone during my lifetime, I would never have done anything!

The ideal scenario would be for her to spend what little dosh she has, on a boat, if thats what she wants.

I am sure a ramp,floor modification etc, could be made by nice people for nowt!

There must be a 22ft mini narrow boat about somewhere? for the right price.

For those who dont know.

Sarah isnt a basket case!

She is a young woman undertaking a journey.

sometimes in life we may make a journey for a reason other than to go from A to B.

She is independent and chose this life,hopefully the dogs and cat are happy with the decision.

Whether she is right or wrong, I dont honestly know.

but as I said earlier,Who am I to judge?

I have met Sarah

She is very obviously a very capable, intelligent and independent lady. I am very sorry if anything I have said has made people think otherwise. I actually admire her. I know I could not do what she is doing but there is a bot of me that wishes I could.

I know the dogs and cats will be perfectly happy. They are well fed, well cared for an loved. If animals are loved they are usually happy. The thing is that Baloo being the size he is will become a bigger liability to both Sarah and the other animals. My concern is that in her attempt to try and make things better for Baloo she will find herself in a tricky or potentially danerous situation.

Maybe she does understand about boats and knows what she is taking on by buying one but I would just like to try and ensure she has thought through all the implications before she does so. No different to anyone who joins this forum and needs advise over buying a boat.

Hi all.

Been a lurker for some time, however this thread has inspired me to dip my toe in the water (see what I did there?clapping.gif ).

I know this one is a bit far away for the lady in question, but I think something similar might be an option, as I believe these are the more stable of the GRP tubs.

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/sawley_marina/brokerage/sm_9036_taffy

Kevin.

Welcome to he forum

It s certainly within the price range and it doesn't look derelict either!

Maybe she does understand about boats and knows what she is taking on by buying one but I would just like to try and ensure she has thought through all the implications before she does so. No different to anyone who joins this forum and needs advise over buying a boat.

I'd like to offer a note of caution.

As much as you may like to ensure that the lady has thought it through, which is plainly well intentioned and caring, whether or not she needs advice is for her to decide.

I'm worried that I see people beginning to make decisions on this lady's behalf to the extent that she begins to lose her obviously important independence.

Hard to find the balance here I think

Hi Cheshire Rose

My post was not directed to you,apologies if it appeared so.

Your suggestion regarding caravan from a safety angle is correct.

Balou is huge!

Regarding the site for a caravan.

Does anyone have any suggestions [privately]

Bazza2

You are quite right.!

During my conversations with Sarah, she did mention that she gets fed up with people trying to take control of her situation.

Edited by GROUCHO

That may be the short term solution to her present situation.

I have a car with a towbar so distance isn't an issue but I'm in Rugby.

I'm worried that I see people beginning to make decisions on this lady's behalf to the extent that she begins to lose her obviously important independence.

I wouldn't wish to influence what anybody chooses to do with their life but the offer is there and gives her another option.

I think she has always been aware that there is help if she needs it with no pressure to take it if she doesn't want it.

Edited by carlt

I'd like to offer a note of caution.

As much as you may like to ensure that the lady has thought it through, which is plainly well intentioned and caring, whether or not she needs advice is for her to decide.

Hard to find the balance here I think

I agree with your sentiment.

I suspect I chose my words badly.

What I meant to say is that even the most independent person would prefer to be able to make informed choices. I am not suggesting anyone makes choices for her but makes sure that she is armed with the knowledge she might need to make the right decision for herself and her dogs

My boy is over 50k and has bits of string and bolts in his back legs and no brain in the front!!! So I have made the entrance into the boat with wide and shallow steps which he can do easily. I know for a fact he has real trouble getting both in and out of ALL my friends boats. But with a little thought and someonewho is handy, much can be achieved.

I have a car with a towbar so distance isn't an issue but I'm in Rugby.

I wouldn't wish to influence what anybody chooses to do with their life but the offer is there and gives her another option.

I think she has always been aware that there is help if she needs it with no pressure to take it if she doesn't want it.

We have just joined the real world again after distancing ourselves in a tiny Yorkshire village called Grewelthorpe near Ripon. The splendid cottage that we are renting has Wi-Fi, been here three days and only just found out! So, logging on to discover more about Sarah and her current dilemma.

To be honest, we didn't think that Baloo would make it to this point and we're glad Sarah realises that another winter might see him off. Carl's very generous offer does seem to be a better option, given Sarah's outwardly appearing finances. But we do recall someone suggesting that she has family who help out.

Although fiercely independent, her acceptance of the harness donated by the forum members indicated that she is ready to appreciate help when offered, an idea would be to suggest Carl's caravan offer and see how she reacts. I think that she might just take him up on it and at the same time be totally gob smacked at how the forum can once again, come to people's aid.

Who said that Yorkshiremen were tight, from where I'm standing they're not!

Edited by Doorman

i think Sarah may have found a boat !

Phil. Ref. access

Surely a days work with a stil saw and mig welder will see an access made similar to the boats used for wheelchairs

Edited by GROUCHO

Wow. I have completely missed this thread as I was overseas last week. What amazing people you are for helping Sarah & Baloo. We have two Newfoundlands ourselves so I am very upset to read about Baloo's age related problems. The average life expectancy of a Newfie is 9, so at 11 he is doing very well. Sarah has obviously looked after him for him to reach this great age.

If you are still accepting donations to assist in settling them in their new home or if there is anything at all that Sarah or any of the animals needs we would be very happy to help. Please PM me the pay pal details if donations are still open.

Wow. I have completely missed this thread as I was overseas last week. What amazing people you are for helping Sarah & Baloo. We have two Newfoundlands ourselves so I am very upset to read about Baloo's age related problems. The average life expectancy of a Newfie is 9, so at 11 he is doing very well. Sarah has obviously looked after him for him to reach this great age.

If you are still accepting donations to assist in settling them in their new home or if there is anything at all that Sarah or any of the animals needs we would be very happy to help. Please PM me the pay pal details if donations are still open.

Hi,

It was Ange from the forum who kindly organised the original collection of donations and any surplus I believe was forwarded to an animal charity. In this instance, the forum's kindness could not extend to buying Sarah a boat, but I for one would not hesitate in putting something in the pot towards Mr 'T's fuel costs, if Sarah takes up his offer of the caravan loan.

i think Sarah may have found a boat.

Mr Marx, any updates on the boat?

Edited by Doorman

Well here is the latest news on Sarah`s adventure.

She is now the proud owner of a steel boat.

It is on a residential mooring at Golden Nook that is renewable, but I think Sarah is determined to keep moving.

The boat is scheduled for blacking and a few jobs at Tattenhall Marina.

I think it would be good if she took up occupancy straight away, but that is not Sarah`s plan.

Instead, she continues sleeping on the towpath with the animals.

Its a pity she cant find it in her soul to put the welfare of Balou before her dream.

I despair!

I am glad she has a boat and maybe as the weather closes in she may reconsider and take up residence. At least she has the option

None of us know the reason behind her need/desire to keep living as she does. It is none of our business. You cannot force people to conform with our own idea of what is acceptable. I am certain she does have Balou's welfare at heart or she would not have got the boat.

I know the canal community will continue to look out for Sarah and her animals and will be happy to offer assistance when she needs it. I just hope people are not too quick to judge her actions.

Its a pity she cant find it in her soul to put the welfare of Balou before her dream.

I despair!

Actually, keeping the dog moving for as long as he is able to is better for maintaining his mobility and prolonging his comfort for as long as possible.

Statements like this are, I suspect, a good example of why people who might really benefit from offered help and advice are often so reticent to ask or accept it- because with it so often comes judgement, or a lack of respect for the right to make an independent decision, or other intangible strings.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

The weathers been great all summer and still warm now into October. As she's been outside for so long it must seem pretty wierd inside a small narrowboat but it's there if it gets too cold?

It must take some determination to embark on a journey such as this. I think you've all become a very real part of this journey, so much so that she now owns a boat.

You must be doing something right!

Upon meeting Sarah for the first time, it would be easy to mis-judge her choice of lifestyle. But then if you are fortunate enough to get past her initial quiet and reserved demeanour, you uncover an intelligent lady who cares extremely well for herself and her animals whilst on their journey through life.

Probably because we have a Labrador who is almost identical to her own, she allowed us to get to know her a little. We never asked intrusive questions, judged her choice of clothes or her selection of temporary dwellings, most of which were under the stars. What we did though, was to give her space and plenty of time to make her own decisions.

It's her life, please let her live it how she sees fit, as long as she's not at risk to herself or others.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone ,

Sarah has asked me to let you all know that sadly Baloo passed away this morning, and to say she has really appreciated all the help you have given her on her journey, the harness has helped her enormously . Sadly Baloo never got to go on her new boat but Sarah, Lily the Labrador and Nelix the cat are now on board, but she would appreciate a little space while she comes to terms with her sad loss.

Sarah asked for help on Friday as she was on the tow path and Baloo could no longer walk, we were able to give her shelter and support and Baloo died in a safe and comfortable place with Sarah, Lily and Nelix by his side at 7am today.

Hopefully the next update will be a happier one, she is safe now on her little boat and will no doubt be continuing her journey soon.

• Greenie 3