Continuous cruisers???????

bigste

Featured Posts

Because at the moment I'm on a mooring (48hrs) where at least one boater brags he's been here ages and has no intention of leaving. He's been ticketed, he says, many times, but they're not going to get a crane in here to get me out, are they?

So the mooring wasn't full when you arrived then?

Because at the moment I'm on a mooring (48hrs) where at least one boater brags he's been here ages and has no intention of leaving.

While on my way here other boaters had said to me that there were overstaying boats here making it awkward to get a mooring.

I don't mind finding VMs full. I don't ask how long people have been there, but sometimes I get told, or perhaps I've turned around and come back days or weeks later and the same boat is in the same place.

OK, maybe it's come and gone as well, but I'd back my judgement that it hasn't against the chance that it had.

Bob

So you managed to get moored the?

I am moored on a 48 hour mooring and intend to stay here until Saturday unless it get very busy I am one of 45 boats on a 48 hour mooring with enough space for 20 boats

1001838_671638236184656_1269252769_n.jpg

My current mooring, I am so selfish overstaying when other boats might wish to moor up, ah hang on a minute plenty of space for other boats. Well I am in the middle of nowhere.

No, but what's that got to do with it. Other boats turned up later when the mooring was full.

Ummm how do you know they wanted to moor? and other boats in the plural, so even if he had moved other boatS would not have been able to moor up. Why is when I want to stop at a visitor mooring and it is full I carry on until I find somewhere to moor and not worry about how long other boats have been there? Oh yes because I do not care in the knowledge I will always find somewhere to moor, never had to pend the night floating around because I could not moor

Edited by cotswoldsman

I am moored on a 48 hour mooring and intend to stay here until Saturday unless it get very busy I am one of 45 boats on a 48 hour mooring with enough space for 20 boats

My current mooring, I am so selfish overstaying when other boats might wish to moor up, ah hang on a minute plenty of space for other boats. Well I am in the middle of nowhere.

I don't get your point. You're not inconveniencing anyone. What annoys me is when selfish people do just that for no other reason than they can.

No, but what's that got to do with it.

This...

All very well, but if their rule breaking impinges on my needs don't I have the right to be aggrieved? If I turn up a VM to find that it's full ....

Your needs appear to remain unimpinged but you still seethe.

One minute you are justifying your ire because of you being inconvenienced and now you are just raging on behalf of someone else (who may not share your anger).

Ummm how do you know they wanted to moor? and other boats in the plural, so even if he had moved other boatS would not have been able to moor up. Why is when I want to stop at a visitor mooring and it is full I carry on until I find somewhere to moor and not worry about how long other boats have been there? Oh yes because I do not care in the knoelrdge I will always find somewhere to moor, never had to pend the night floating around because I could not moor

Why on earth are these moorings 48hrs? I still have a vision of a volunteer CRT data logger walking past and a £25 per day being generated remotely. IMO CRT should review signage to align with usage few VMs are full outside of the peak holiday period.

Ummm how do you know they wanted to moor? and other boats in the plural, so even if he had moved other boatS would not have been able to moor up. Why is when I want to stop at a visitor mooring and it is full I carry on until I find somewhere to moor and not worry about how long other boats have been there? Oh yes because I do not care in the knowledge I will always find somewhere to moor, never had to pend the night floating around because I could not moor

You must have missed that I've already said I don't mind full VMs, I do move on. I think I can tell someone looking for a mooring rather than passing through. I will offer breast up if asked or I get the chance. Of course we don't "float around all night" that would be silly.

BUT, as I said if people are taking the p*** I do get peeved it it causes me inconvenience. Is there something wrong with that?

Why on earth are these moorings 48hrs? I still have a vision of a volunteer CRT data logger walking past and a £25 per day being generated remotely. IMO CRT should review signage to align with usage few VMs are full outside of the peak holiday period.

As you know you will find no argument from me on that. When I was here 3 years ago there were also 7 day and 14 day moorings but they have gone. If I believed in conspiracy theories I would say they are trying to keep Continuous cruisers off the Shropshire Union. Anything over 48 hours are like rocking horse stuff

This...

Your needs appear to remain unimpinged but you still seethe.

One minute you are justifying your ire because of you being inconvenienced and now you are just raging on behalf of someone else (who may not share your anger).

Raging? I'm commenting in what I consider a reasonable way. I'm not proposing hanging, flogging, jailing etc. Hang on, now there's a thought.

Edited by lyraboat

You must have missed that I've already said I don't mind full VMs, I do move on. I think I can tell someone looking for a mooring rather than passing through. I will offer breast up if asked or I get the chance. Of course we don't "float around all night" that would be silly.

BUT, as I said if people are taking the p*** I do get peeved it it causes me inconvenience. Is there something wrong with that?

I still dont know how you know if someone has overstayed when you pass a VM that is full. As I said before I just get on with my life and do not worry what other people do that way my boating is always an enjoyable experience!!

I still dont know how you know if someone has overstayed when you pass a VM that is full. As I said before I just get on with my life and do not worry what other people do that way my boating is always an enjoyable experience!!

As I said, right now I have first hand knowledge of someone blocking a mooring. I didn't cause me trouble but 10 minutes later it would have.

OK, live and let live is all very well. So it seems to me that what you're saying is no one should bother with the rules, anarchy is the best policy.

What are the rules for, just so much graffiti?

As I said, right now I have first hand knowledge of someone blocking a mooring. I didn't cause me trouble but 10 minutes later it would have.

OK, live and let live is all very well. So it seems to me that what you're saying is no one should bother with the rules, anarchy is the best policy.

What are the rules for, just so much graffiti?

yup lets have a bit of anarchy!!!

So it seems to me that what you're saying is no one should bother with the rules, anarchy is the best policy.

Personally I think anarchy would be the best policy if there weren't so many selfish people.

As we are stuck with rules I think it is CRT's responsibility to enforce them but when moorings (or just lengths of towpath) are restricted to 48 hours for no rational reason I find the anger is being misdirected.

yup lets have a bit of anarchy!!!

I don't think you'd like it!

Personally I think anarchy would be the best policy if there weren't so many selfish people.

As we are stuck with rules I think it is CRT's responsibility to enforce them but when moorings (or just lengths of towpath) are restricted to 48 hours for no rational reason I find the anger is being misdirected.

This is not a tow path mooring, but a floating pontoon in a town location. There is a C&RT office 20 yards away.

Anarchy would only allow the biggest b****** to get what they want.

I don't think you'd like it!

Yes I will join the anarchy against people that whinge about people who dare to use a 48 hour mooring when I want to use it and as for those that get to the water point before I do they should be banned from the system

Edited to add: and those that use self pump out!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

Yes I will join the anarchy against people that whinge about people who dare to use a 48 hour mooring when I want to use it and as for those that get to the water point before I do they should be banned from the system

Edited to add: and those that use self pump out!!!

Where did you get the idea that I'm whinging about people getting to a mooring before me? Read my post! I'm happy (relatively) to cruise through if the moorings are full of legitimate boats, that's life. But I don't see what's wrong with moaning about people blocking against the rules or even the spirit of the canals. I haven't shot anyone yet!

Bob

Edited by lyraboat

This is not a tow path mooring, but a floating pontoon in a town location. There is a C&RT office 20 yards away.

Perhaps your peevish annoyance should be aimed squarely at the occupants of the CRT office then.

Of course they may be in the process of enforcement action but, as that's none of your business, you may never know.

Anarchy would only allow the biggest b****** to get what they want.

I believe you are mistaking "anarchy" for "Thatcherism"

Perhaps your peevish annoyance should be aimed squarely at the occupants of the CRT office then.

Of course they may be in the process of enforcement action but, as that's none of your business, you may never know.

I believe you are mistaking "anarchy" for "Thatcherism"

I agree, but also the moorer.

You may be right, aren't they the same thing?

You may be right, aren't they the same thing?

No Anarchy is an ideology that has yet to be tried on any great scale but, as I said, is doomed to fail as long as there are selfish people around to exploit the unselfish.

It has, however,proven very successful on a smaller scale.

And wonders why auto trader is now on line only, puts on slippers and picks up pipe.

Is it?, I've got last weeks paper copy?

Possibly, but it's an unexpectedly good reason to repaint your boat in a 'camo' design.

Then if accused by CaRT of never using your home mooring, you can explain it's often there but the camo is so good their staff just can't see it... smile.png

MtB

Could always have a inflatable copy of the boat moored at home base?

If I believed in conspiracy theories I would say they are trying to keep Continuous cruisers off the Shropshire Union. Anything over 48 hours are like rocking horse stuff

Much of the Shroppie has no restrictions (apart from the usual 14 day max.). I accept that on the Shroppie and the Llangollen there are quite a few 48 hour restrictions where there really needn't be, apart from perhaps in peak season in July and August. But there are 24 and 48 hour restrictions within villages and towns, and that's right. These villages rely heavily on tourism for business and jobs, and this means that they need a regular turnround of boats which moor and visit their pubs and shops. We have a 24 hour mooring by our property, and it's not unusual for each spot to have three or four boats mooring every 24 hours, perhaps three during the day and one overnight. That's potentially lots of money coming into the local economy, and it means that we have a good variety of retail outlets, and can support a fair number of jobs. If we had boats staying several days, I suspect that we would have far fewer shops. They would buy less gifts, haircuts, meals etc. We know from experience that hire boaters and boaters cruising every day are the people who spend more money in local businesses; those that stay several days spend comparatively much less, with a potential impact on jobs.

Much of the Shroppie has no restrictions (apart from the usual 14 day max.). I accept that on the Shroppie and the Llangollen there are quite a few 48 hour restrictions where there really needn't be, apart from perhaps in peak season in July and August. But there are 24 and 48 hour restrictions within villages and towns, and that's right. These villages rely heavily on tourism for business and jobs, and this means that they need a regular turnround of boats which moor and visit their pubs and shops. We have a 24 hour mooring by our property, and it's not unusual for each spot to have three or four boats mooring every 24 hours, perhaps three during the day and one overnight. That's potentially lots of money coming into the local economy, and it means that we have a good variety of retail outlets, and can support a fair number of jobs. If we had boats staying several days, I suspect that we would have far fewer shops. They would buy less gifts, haircuts, meals etc. We know from experience that hire boaters and boaters cruising every day are the people who spend more money in local businesses; those that stay several days spend comparatively much less, with a potential impact on jobs.

On The SUC moorings are very restricted because of the shelf and as can be seen by my example 48 hour moorings are in the middle of nowhere!! I am happy to support local business but do not do my boating for the sole purpose of supporting them, I am able to do this for 12 months of the year. A couple of weekends ago I was near a hire boat company and watched hirer's arrive and would say the majority arrived with enough Supermarket bags to see them through the week so I am not convinced about hire boats spending more at local shops. I have been on the SUC for 5 weeks now and would estimate with Pubs, Food, diesel etc I have spent over £1,000

Thanks Mike. Ghost Moorings - sounds spooky....is that where the Mary Celeste used to moor?

I only know of one boater who exploits 'Ghost Moorings' and he's a forum member..............

Casper!

I have been on the SUC for 5 weeks now and would estimate with Pubs, Food, diesel etc I have spent over £1,000

Blimey John!

Have you considered Alcoholics Anonymous?

It certainly worked for us........hic..........hic. :-)

Edited by Doorman