Craftmaster Carnauba Wax or Polytrol

Featured Posts

On Largo's coach sides, I have paintwork that has bloomed. Yes, it is the red/mauve colour.

I have been looking to pay some attention to this paintwork for some time, I can't make up my mind to just use the Craftmaster Carnauba Wax or use Owatrol's Polytrol.

I would like some opinions from members who may have had the same blooming problem!laugh.png

If you used Polytrol, how many coats did you use, how long did it last, what happened, and did you re coat?

The paintwork is not that bad that it needs repainting yet, but would like to try and get some original colour before it is repainted in a few years time.

I look forward to your replies.

Nipper

Edited by nipper

On Largo's coach sides, I have paintwork that has bloomed. Yes, it is the red/mauve colour.

I have been looking to pay some attention to this paintwork for some time, I can't make up my mind to just use the Craftmaster Carnauba Wax or use Owatrol's Polytrol.

I would like some opinions from members who may have had the same blooming problem!laugh.png

If you used Polytrol, how many coats did you use, how long did it last, what happened, and did you re coat?

The paintwork is not that bad that it needs repainting yet, but would like to try and get some original colour before it is repainted in a few years time.

I look forward to your replies.

Nipper

I have never used it but from the speck it looks like a very thin coating see http://www.owatrol.com/pdf/technical-en-polytrol.pdf It looks quite good.

I have never used it but from the speck it looks like a very thin coating see http://www.owatrol.com/pdf/technical-en-polytrol.pdf It looks quite good.

Yes, Ditchcrawler, thanks for your reply.

Yes, the speck looks good, I have a can of polytrol, enough for one side of Largo. I also have the Carnauba wax to hand too.

I was wondering, before i applied it, if anyone had used it on their boat, and what there thoughts were after applying it and if it deteriorated over time.

I also wanted to ask what the thoughts of the sages were on the wax doing anything with the paint bloom.

Nipper

If you have both, do one side with each and report back in a couple of years.

You'll need to turn the boat round regularly to even out sun and weather effects, though.

Tim

Mmm! But then Tim, I will have the problem of which side I do with the Polytrol!

Now then, eny meany miny mo!

Nope still cant make me mind up!

Oh dear!

I so cunfussed! judge.gif

Nipper

I'd try a little WD40 on a rag on a small spot to get a rough idea of what the polytrol might look like.

If that doesn't do it, then if the paint is sound cutting back with a compound like Farclecia (sp?) might bring some colour back, again try a small area with something similar.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• 2 weeks later...

I have polished and it does not last

I do apologise, but I seem to have been far to busy boating to reply to this.

Do you mean the Polytrol didn't last?

If so, what happened to it?

Nipper

I'd try a little WD40 on a rag on a small spot to get a rough idea of what the polytrol might look like.

If that doesn't do it, then if the paint is sound cutting back with a compound like Farclecia (sp?) might bring some colour back, again try a small area with something similar.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thanks Pete,

I used some Carnauba wax today and it bought the green and the cream paint up lovely, but the dark red came up all streaky and horrible.

perhaps the blooming made the wax do that.

So it looks like I'll have to have a go with the Polytrol on just the dark red paint.

I will try someWD40 to see what it will look like and I'll go from there

I was wondering if Polytrol was some sort of varnish, similar to what Phil Speight proposed in another thread some time ago.

smiley_offtopic.gif I did know an old chap who always used diesel to shine up his car, but it didn't stop the car from being scrapped, it sat on the recovery wagon all sparkling and shining, having rotted away from the inside out!

The old chap was nearly in tears as it left the drive!

Nipper

• 2 weeks later...

No the Craftmaster carnuba wax and it only lasts about 4 months

It`s a wax polish - not a clear coat or any other type of permanent or semi permanent coating, neither is it a paint - restorer, although it will bring colour back to an extent . How long would you expect it to last for goodness sake !

We always used to swear by a decent carnuba wax on the cars we painted (often custom paint or straight paint done to a show finish) - I think the nature of the vehicles meant they were always kept polished through the summer months (a show each weekend will see to that) and garaged through the winter but boats have a tougher time out in all weathers with the sun doing it's best to destroy the paint. There is no way I would expect wax to last more than 4 months!

At least make sure you get it done in the spring and late summer then during the winter try and do a section at a time as the weather allows

If the paint has bloomed then no wax is going to make it shine. Applying a wax to paintowrk that is rough or a matt finish is a recipe for disaster. It will make the poor paintwork look even worse

Edited by cheshire~rose

" Applying a wax to paintowrk that is rough or a matt finish is a recipe for disaster. It will make the poor paintwork look even worse"

Yes, I found that out the hard way! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

PB regularly waxes Chertsey's cabin sides with the Craftmaster stuff and even though it's only been painted two years I can already detect a difference in the depth of the crimson where it's waxed and on the handrails where it isn't. It brings the wavy steelwork out a treat too.

We have found this wax from 3M superb at bringing paint back: http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/search.aspx?searchterm=3M+Marine+Ultra+Performance+Paste+Wax

I have some Craftmaster paint for touching up, it goes on wonderfully and I have no idea how they managed to match the colour so accurately. So well impressed with Craftmaster and on that basis I have bought some Craftmaster Carnauba wax to use next but I am expecting to get my paint looking right first and then use the Carnauba wax to keep it looking good. Unfortunately since I bought the wax it has been too hot to wax so I went boating or it was a bit damp so I went boating or the boat neede washing before waxing so I went boating or I had to get the boat to somewhere so I went boating. And I have also been boating which gives little time for waxing.

Edited by RichardN

• 2 years later...

Anyone know where I can get some Craftmaster Carnuba (spellcheck) Polish from. We are on the Western L&L near Adlington at present. Trusted loads of places on the up from Nantwich, not all places, and failed dismally.

I have run out after ages.

Martyn.