Featured Posts

Strangely written? How so?

I just found it hard to follow. It starts by talking about a protest without explaining what the protest is about (does get back to that later though. Kind of.), talks a little about how he's rigged up a system to use water from the hot springs for his showers (interesting to boaters but seems pretty irrelevant) and then moves on to what appears to be an unrelated incident further downriver.

It all just seems very vague, I'm interested to know what's going on but anyone not already clued up about this needs a whole lot more context.

It does actually sum it up (well everything I've heard) rather well. Mr D is bumbling up and down river protesting against the development (which stopped in 2003) of the old Stothert and Pitt site. Five boats were let go by Crest Nicholson security (allegedly) and (news to me but very interesting) there's a hot springs outfall in Parade Gardens.

Mr D is bumbling up and down river protesting against the development (which stopped in 2003) of the old Stothert and Pitt site.

It's this that mainly interests me, what exactly is he trying to achieve/raise awareness of?

Also, that Crest Nicholson site, are they really "mooring bollards"? If they are they're the worst bollards I've ever tied to (for those unfamiliar they are 10"ish square wooden posts sticking up a foot or two out of the concrete), I moored there quickly to run to Homebase for a bag of coal once (desperation will lead a man to do terrible things), certainly wouldn't want to overnight there.

It does actually sum it up (well everything I've heard) rather well. Mr D is bumbling up and down river protesting against the development (which stopped in 2003) of the old Stothert and Pitt site. Five boats were let go by Crest Nicholson security (allegedly) and (news to me but very interesting) there's a hot springs outfall in Parade Gardens.

Well, that's a start

I don't really need to know who Mt D is

I'd like to know if his protest is working

What was the development on the site?

What's the state of the site now?

Who are Crest Nicholson security?

Where were the boats moored?

I'm happy about the hot water outfall

Richard

Interesting . I'll see if I can get hold of Charlie tomorrow. I think there is more to this.

I'd love to know more detail. I know the old Stothert and Pitt site (saw him moored there a few weeks ago, is that his sweet Land Rover camper that was parked next to the boat?) and have thought for a long time that it's insane those buildings are being used for nothing, I just have no idea what it is he is putting so much energy into protesting against.

What was the development on the site?

What's the state of the site now?

Attractive old warehouse buildings right next to the river in the middle of the city being used for absolutely nothing. They were squatted for a while five or six years ago but other than that I'm pretty sure they've been empty for years.

Where were the boats moored?

They were moored next to some new build apartment buildings. There's a landscaped area with steps leading down to the waters edge with some benche and whatnot. There are wooden posts every couple of metres along the waterside that kind of look like they could be mooring posts, but don't really function very well (if that was their intended function). Opinions are divided among local boaters as to whether the space was designed as visitor moorings or some sort of flood defence.

I just have no idea what it is he is putting so much energy into protesting against.

. Opinions are divided among local boaters as to whether the space was designed as visitor moorings or some sort of flood defence.

He's not doing it very well then, though I am guessing some kind of public art space so perhaps 'campaigning' rather than 'protesting'?

Are they? I have yet to meet anyone who thinks you defend against flood by lowering the bank by 6'.

I wouldn't moor on any urban river without a lock or a mud weight but I think you're a little unkind to the bollards, I like them.

Who are Crest Nicholson security?

Well Crest Nicholson are a national house building firm, guilty of being the developers of Gloucester Docks.

I used to live next door to their joint MD, before he packed it in.

MtB

Sorry to hi jack the thread, anyone know if mooring is allowed by that housing development? I've been eyeing it up for a while as the perfect spot to get some painting done- low sides, no pesky leaves. Any rules against doing that?

Apparently there are now signs there saying that it's a 24 hour mooring.

Are they? I have yet to meet anyone who thinks you defend against flood by lowering the bank by 6'.

It is not uncommon to lower areas of land to create flood capacity, water can be stored there rather than climbing even higher up flood defences.

That way only a bit of landscaping with benches gets flooded, rather than someone's Axminster carpet in the ground floor apartment.

Whether that's the case here I don't know.

I did see a Dutch Barge anchored almost touching Pulteney Weir yesterday, with a flag saying "Save Newark Works" or similar

Charlie has a Facebook page if you're interested , South Quay Community Arts Project , which has all the info you would need about his protest/campaign .

So far he has been interviewed by Auntie Beeb , the Chronicle and has the support of a local MP .

He is also organising a floating flotilla ( double positive ? ) at the weir on the 20th and 21st , if you're interested take a boat and join in .