stove sealants

dominicebs

Featured Posts

What sort of sealant should I use to ensure a good gas tight seal of the base of the chimney to the stove itself? I have been warned that heat resistant silicone sealants such as Plumba flue are only good to 300° so what should I use

I used some flexible fire cement I obtained from Wlkinsons.

It has stayed there for several years and has been better than some more expensive 'stuff'' I got from a chandlers.

I also reduced the internal dimensions of the stove with Wilkinson fire bricks which were about £2 each.

PS...I don't work for Wlkinsons...

Edited by Bobbybass

What sort of sealant should I use to ensure a good gas tight seal of the base of the chimney to the stove itself? I have been warned that heat resistant silicone sealants such as Plumba flue are only good to 300° so what should I use

You can get silicone sealants good for 1200C which is what I have successfully replaced our crumbling fire cement with, eg

http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/fire-cement-smoke/high-temperature-silicone-black.html

It has stayed there for several years and has been better than some more expensive 'stuff'' I got from a chandlers.

I also reduced the internal dimensions of the stove with Wilkinson fire bricks which were about £2 each.

Please forgive my ignorance, but which "wilkinsons" are you refering to? The one you find in some shopping centres or some sort of DIY/builders merchant?

If you've got a link, that would be great, I'm looking for fire bricks for my Squirrel.

Hi I bought some sealant in a tube will have a look at ts name but its good for1200c and once it sets it dont let go!! When I had to move the stove it must have taken me half a hour to chisel it out no chance of a leak I bought it from a stove supplier for about a fiver

Peter

Please forgive my ignorance, but which "wilkinsons" are you refering to? The one you find in some shopping centres or some sort of DIY/builders merchant?

If you've got a link, that would be great, I'm looking for fire bricks for my Squirrel.

I bought some very cheap, really good quality commercial kiln bricks from these peeps (linky)

I bought the cheapest they had, and cut them to size with a cutting disc (brick). MUCH better quality than Squirrel's supplies

Bought sufficient to make three sets for £35. Best if you have someone that can collect them for you

(And really helpful folks, too)

what is the reason for this?did you just place the bricks in the stove or are they fixed on in some way?

what is the reason for this?

It requires less fuel to make a fire.

Tony