Credit to Tom Crossley, Narrowboatworld Editor

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

(Yes, honestly!)

I have previously publicly criticised Tom Crossley for not being prepared to make corrections to articles published on his site.

I was however alerted to an article by Maffi about the failure of the Aylesbury Arm lock that seemed to show little knowledge of what is already known about the failure, and citing possible causes that I feel are unlikely.

I tried initially to PM my thoughts to Maffi, but it seems he has blocked me from doing so.

So, with no great expectations, I sent my thoughts instead to Tom Crossley.

Much to my surprise, Tom has published them more or less verbatim, other than reversing the order of some major paragraphs.

(And that m'lud, in my defense, is how I unwittingly got to have an article published on NBW! :blush:)

Hopefully this new trend will continue, and it may be possible to get corrections or additions published on NBW for other articles in the future. I hope so.

You should be less modest and provide a link to your articleicecream.gif

(with the obligatory narrowboatworld warning)

It wasn't actually written as an article - just an email seeking to clarify an article that seemed to rely on "assumption and misinformation", rather than actual knowledge of what it was talking about.

Edited by alan_fincher

• 2 weeks later...

(Yes, honestly!)

I have previously publicly criticised Tom Crossley for not being prepared to make corrections to articles published on his site.

I was however alerted to an article by Maffi about the failure of the Aylesbury Arm lock that seemed to show little knowledge of what is already known about the failure, and citing possible causes that I feel are unlikely.

I tried initially to PM my thoughts to Maffi, but it seems he has blocked me from doing so.

Much to my surprise, Tom has published them more or less verbatim, other than reversing the order of some major paragraphs.

(And that m'lud, in my defense, is how I unwittingly got to have an article published on NBW! blush.png)

Hopefully this new trend will continue, and it may be possible to get corrections or additions published on NBW for other articles in the future. I hope so.

Seems a nice sort of bloke to me. A newspaper editor from the (pre-hacking of telephones) days of real journalism.

(Yes, honestly!)

(And that m'lud, in my defense, is how I unwittingly got to have an article published on NBW! blush.png)

You really are an a*se

He does seem to be a bit of an odd character (Tom Crossley that is). On Saturday I sent him some comments contradicting a long anti-HNC, anti-CRT diatribe by a guy called Keith Gudgin, and got a very nice e-mail back saying that he agreed with me (about the HNC, anyway), and would include my views.

Well, he did, next day, together with someone else who agreed with me. But only for 24 hours! The piece was pulled, but the original by Mr Gudgin left on. I've asked him why, with no response so far. Perhaps he suddenly realised it actually contained words approving of a decision by CRT.

Yes,

Publication of a piece certainly does not ensure it will stay there long term - I have certainly noticed he will publish something, but subsequently delete all trace.

But perhaps you can find it here:-

http://web.archive.org/web/20130621031634/http://www.narrowboatworld.com/

(This is the "wayback machine" archive of NBW)