Johnstones/leyland paint

Featured Posts

I concur with PB's comments above.

I used a lot of Johnstones industrial paint when I painted my last boat.

I also used their domestic paint on the interior of my new boat.

It is good stuff although I have noticed that since the VOC-2010 regs (which limit the percentage of solvent) have been in force that drying times have become much longer.

They have a technical Department which is easy to reach and helpful.

PLease see below a link to a competitively priced supplier of Johnstones. They ship free overnight orders over £50. I have used them and found them reliable:

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/?gclid=CIGH_qbQ27cCFdIPtAodMngAEA

I used Rustoleum primer (after shot blasting) on my new boat and has also performed very well - so far.

Rustoleum is apparently made using fish oil, which being more natural is an elegant way to get round the VOC-2010 regs.

Rustoleum primer is claimed to be good enough to stand alone ie without a gloss top coat.

It costs about £90 for 2.5 litres (!)

Edited by andywatson

Thanks for the replies - I've used Rustoleum on the engine bilge before (lovely in silver) and it looked really nice. Hard-wearing too, even with diesel and spanners being bashed about on it.

I got a colour card from Teamac marine paints the other day - they look quite nice and according to another thread here are what MC relable as their paints.

I guess it all comes down to price - is £90 for 2.5 litres a lot? Sounds quite expensive for paint....

Thanks for the replies - I've used Rustoleum on the engine bilge before (lovely in silver) and it looked really nice. Hard-wearing too, even with diesel and spanners being bashed about on it.

I got a colour card from Teamac marine paints the other day - they look quite nice and according to another thread here are what MC relable as their paints.

I guess it all comes down to price - is £90 for 2.5 litres a lot? Sounds quite expensive for paint....

I think Rustoleum do more than one primer.

I've been using their 'combi-prime', which seems pretty good, cost is about £35 for 2.5 litres. Although the Rustoleum sales guff makes play with their founder's use of fish oil, I suspect it's not incorporated in their 'ordinary' paints. They don't actually tell you that, though, so I may be wrong. Andywatson must have been using something a bit more exotic.

Tim