Generator - Hire or buy? ... or beg, or steal!

Featured Posts

It looks as though we are going to get the boat painted (finally!) The chappie who is going to do it does not have his own premises and as we are not allowed to pay anyone but the marina to work on our boat while it is at our marina we are going to need to move it to one of the local motorway bridges and hope that they are not already full of other boats that are being painted.

The painter is going to need some power and so we are going to need to get a generator. I do not have any idea of how long he will need it for but I am guessing about a week depending on the weather (I assume he is only going to need power tools for the prep stage)

I am reluctant to borrow one as if it went bang while we had it could spoil a good friendship but if there is anyone willing to offer one I am all ears.

In this situation would other forum members buy a generator and then sell it again afterwards - if so would you go new or second hand?

Does anyone have a generator they wpuld like to sell to us?

Also............ just as an aside - does anyone know of a mooring somewhere within easy chugging distance of Calf Heath on The Staffs & Worcs where there is power supplied - obviuosly we would expect to pay for it!

I have a 2800w frame generator cluttering up a front locker u are welcome to use if no better options are forthcoming

ooh! although you are not anywhere near us that might be an option as we are going to be near you on Saturday (Stoke Bruerne) The problem comes when we need to get it back to you and unless you did not need it for a couple of months it would be a long trip to get it back to you.

Thank you for your very kind offer. I will leave it in the mix for the moment please. Fairly typically the opportunity to get the boat painted has come out of the blue and the chap wants to start yesterday so I am doing a good imitation of a headless chicken trying to sort all the logistics out right now

It certainly looks very competative compared with other hire sites I have looked at - so much so I want to know what the catch is!

It doesn't include the special time switch that stops you running it between 20:00 and 08:00!

• Greenie 1

further investigation - it looks as though they do not cost that much to hire!

http://www.mammoth-hire.co.uk/product/hire-petrol-generator-2_75kva-290130/

That's very cheap, but it says :"Maximum 2.5 hours", so ,what's happening if you need it for more than 2.5 hours ?

Will there be a surcharge ? and if yes, how much will that be per hour ?

Peter.

ooh! although you are not anywhere near us that might be an option as we are going to be near you on Saturday (Stoke Bruerne) The problem comes when we need to get it back to you and unless you did not need it for a couple of months it would be a long trip to get it back to you.

Thank you for your very kind offer. I will leave it in the mix for the moment please. Fairly typically the opportunity to get the boat painted has come out of the blue and the chap wants to start yesterday so I am doing a good imitation of a headless chicken trying to sort all the logistics out right now

I haven't used it in 18months so I doubt I would miss it for a few months lol.

That's very cheap, but it says :"Maximum 2.5 hours", so ,what's happening if you need it for more than 2.5 hours ?

Will there be a surcharge ? and if yes, how much will that be per hour ?

Peter.

I believe that's how long it will run at maximum power on one tank of fuel, rather than how long you hire it for. I could be mistaken.

To be fair, its a fairly standard honda gx engine and there are not that loud, by no means silent or even 'suitcase genny' standards but you wont need ear defenders unless you put it inside the boat! Stick it 40ft away chained to the pilling, job done.

2.6KW genny sitting in my garage hardly ever been used. Started full pull a couple of weeks ago after sitting unused for 18 months..

I'll do you a deal - you borrow it and if it doesn't break you return it.

If it breaks you buy it for a reasonable second hand price or else pay for it to be fixed

I'm not so far from you especially as I pass through Chesterfield regularly on my way elsewhere

Thanks to everyone who has posted since I last replied - I lost track of this thread and didn't see your posts. It would indeed be ideal to be able to borrow one but as it looks as though we probably need it for next weekend now I am unsure if I have time to organise it.

I will send a couple of PM's thanks

Pykebird - I think your inbox is full! - I can't PM you

Edited by cheshire~rose