Donner kebab

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Easy to make yourself, just buy some lamb burgers, and squash them out very thin, a quick fry, and cut into ersatz strips of Donner meat. They need some spices, i found some called "Ras el Hanout" thats kind of donner flavour.

The bonus is there are no stray cats or fag ends in the meat, and it costs a third of a shop bought one. I just had 2 tonight, good eats !

Easy to make yourself, just buy some lamb burgers, and squash them out very thin, a quick fry, and cut into ersatz strips of Donner meat. They need some spices, i found some called "Ras el Hanout" thats kind of donner flavour.

The bonus is there are no stray cats or fag ends in the meat, and it costs a third of a shop bought one. I just had 2 tonight, good eats !

Just stray horses !

Healthier to make shish.

A piece of lamb neck cubed. Marinate overnight in some oil, balsamic vinegar garlic and seasoning. Cook on a griddle and serve in a pitta with salad and garlic mayo and jobs a goodun

• Greenie 1

Just stray horses !

Healthier to make shish.

Are supermarkets the only supplier of lamb burgers then?

I get mine from the farm who make some pretty authentic merguez sausages too.

Edited by carlt

That's worth knowing, I occasionally find myself trundling a trolley round Asda losing the will to live.

It's worth noting that ASDA do have regional variations in what they stock.

We could often get more 'exotic' stuff at the Derby Superstore than what we can get at the one at home in the North East, often needing to go to an asian run supermarket/shop to get the same type of stuff.

We could often get more 'exotic' stuff at the Derby Superstore than what we can get at the one at home in the North East, often needing to go to an asian run supermarket/shop to get the same type of stuff.

If Asda Rugby sell it (who regard a stone baked pizza as exotic) then any branch will.

It is an Asda own brand product found in the herb and spices shelf, not the World food section.

246563.jpg?v=1?1370937156168%20=13709371

Hi,

Ras el Hanout is a Moroccan spice mix used for the cooking of a tagine - a sort of slow cooked stew. It can contain beef, chicken, lamb, fish and vegetables. Ras el Hanout means "choice of the shopkeeper" and customers ask for a spice mix for a particular meat or fish and the shopkeeper makes one up for them.

If you want a pretty authentic home made donner try this

 500g lean lamb mince
 3 garlic cloves, crushed
 1 tbs plain flour
 2 tbs each olive oil and chopped parsley
 2 tsp each ground cumin and cinnamon
 3 tsp ground coriander
 1 egg, beaten

Mix all ingredients - form into a loaf shape and bake in the oven or form into balls and fry or grill.

If Asda Rugby sell it (who regard a stone baked pizza as exotic) then any branch will.

It is an Asda own brand product found in the herb and spices shelf, not the World food section.

I shall look out for it in our shiny new ASDA that opened yesterday just around the corner.....

Onion water is the magic ingredient to any lamb or beef kebab.

Don't use too much as it can be overpowering, but a marinade paste of onion water, oil, salt, pepper, ground coriander,cumin & chilli will give the most exquisite of kebabs (especially on bbq).

Can be a bit tricky to make onion water if you haven't got some form of an electric chopper:

Place the onions in a food processor and process, in batches if necessary, until the onions are pureed and quite watery.

Transfer the contents of the workbowl to a finemeshed strainer and set over a large, deep nonreactive bowl and drain,

pressing the solids with the back of a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to extract the juice.

Discard the contents of the strainer

Ooh, local merguez sausages. Colour me jealous.

10 for a quid, too.

I usually have loads in the freezer but I've been emptying it to defrost so I'll have to stock up again at the next farmer's market.

They are full price if I get them from the farm for some strange reason.