Daft chandler pricing, or trying to catch people out?

lexicon

Featured Posts

I'm wondering about some pricing of spares In chandlers.

I have looked at the price of a spare item and couldn't quite believe my eyes to find that the individual item was 50% more expensive on its own than a kit containing the item and 3/4 other items.

So I'm left wondering if this is some special deal or an attempt to maximise profit from folks who wouldn't think of asking about the kits?

Cassette toilet spares.

Spare cassette £150

Fresh up kit with spare cassette and seat and chemicals less than £100.

I always buy my new bits from good old ebay. never used a chandlers yet. Most recent purchase a cassette for my c200 brand new from an online shop £ 65.

Tim

Both prices quoted in my post are from the same chandlers.

This pricing discrepancy has been around for a good few years.

I have no idea why the kit is cheaper than the cassette alone but it has been so for ages.

Dave mentioned the discrepency 3 years back...

Actually, if you look at the spares list there, it is VERY interesting.

A replacement cassette is £179.95

A "fresh up kit" consisting of a new seat, a new cassette and two bottles of cleaning stuff is £95.00

85 quid extra to NOT have the seat and cleaning stuff!

I always buy my new bits from good old ebay. never used a chandlers yet. Most recent purchase a cassette for my c200 brand new from an online shop £ 65.

Tim

ooo, you couldn't point me in the direction of the online shop could you please? I can only see them for about £89.00.

Caravan dealers price their Thetford bits more keenly than marine chandlers in my experience.

that said I've seen the same daft disparity in those particular Thetford prices at caravan dealers too.

We had a spare spare (we have 2 toilets, each with a spare too!) so I put it on 'the pile of bits that people don't want' in our marina, and someone found it a good home.

Usually I'm bringing bits of 'useful' tat back from that pile (much to Glenda's disgust)

We bought the 2nd toilet from ebay (used but immaculate) ,

I asked Glenda, do we really want a second hand toilet? She said, we didn't get a new one on Freyja or when we moved to another house recently.

Very logical so we bought it for about £45 complete ;o)

Edited by Chop!

It's cheaper to buy the fresh up kits from the supplier/manufacturer than it is to buy the cassette on it's own. I don't know why this is the case but it has been so for quite some time now.

Was certainly the case last year when we were looking for a spare cassette.

Tim

Did you not mention something about people killing British business', by buying cheap and foreign, rather than British and High Street?

Did you not mention something about people killing British business', by buying cheap and foreign, rather than British and High Street?

Err NO

There are other posters that do though. I use proper shops in the high street such as proper butchers but buy most other stuff on line.

Tim

Err NO

There are other posters that do though. I use proper shops in the high street such as proper butchers but buy most other stuff on line.

Tim

Our new ASDA opened this morning.....

How many high street corner shops sell cassette bogs???

As has been said this is not a "chandler" thing it is a "Thetford" thing.

The oddities of pricing spare Thetford "poo tanks" is not unique to the C-200 cassettes.

When we wanted a second tank for a more basic stand-alone Porta-Potty model, it was considerably cheaper (new) to buy an entire toilet, than just the holding tank.

And, to be fair, at the time, one of the cheapest suppliers was Midland Chandlers.

I once saw an entire Thetford CS200 floating in a canal once......I should have grabbed it.

I guess someone made up their mind and went for pump out instead?

ps...I think my spare casette cost £85...I THINK that was bought online.