Cromwell Lock to Torksey

Matt72

Featured Posts

Hi

Thinking of going up the tidal trent for the first time in a few weeks, I have read the various threads on here and have done the following :-

Ordered charts from the boating association

Bought a basic handheld vhf marine radio (although I understand that I can't transmit without doing the RYA course)

Will phone the Cromwell lockie beforehand for advice etc,

Is there anything else I need to do to prepare ?

also could someone just confirm I have this correct, the trent floods for about 2 hrs and then we would head from Cromwell to Torksey on the ebbing tide which runs for around 10 hrs ?

Finally when coming back from Torksey do you have to slot into the 2 hrs of incoming tide or do you just push against the ebbing tide ?

Many thanks

Matt

I have done this a few times in a narrowboat in both directions , is that what you have?

Just talk to, or phone, the lockkeepers and they will tell you the best time to leave Torksey /Cromwell.

Never had need of a radio or charts, just don't cut the corners and observe signage.

When I meet commercial stuff (which isn't often) I try and point my bow into the wash slightly.

If you get good weather its a brilliant journey ....... its that big you don't have to think too much and just watch the world go by .... slowly smile.png

P.S make sure you have plenty of diesel and an anchor ,just in case.

• Greenie 1

Never been Tidal, but from what I've picked up checking your engine and it's cooling is important cause of the extra work of punching the flow/tide. That said the Trent's fairly docile ATM as we haven't had any rain recently.

And amend "I can't transmit without doing the RYA course" to "I can't officially transmit without doing the RYA course". I did hear of a volunteer lock keeper who didn't do their course for 6 months, but had been transmitting, almost unsupervised, during that time. They never got pulled up for it by anyone because they sounded like they knew what they were doing.

Regards,

Lockie.

Hi

Thinking of going up the tidal trent for the first time in a few weeks, I have read the various threads on here and have done the following :-

Ordered charts from the boating association

Bought a basic handheld vhf marine radio (although I understand that I can't transmit without doing the RYA course)

Will phone the Cromwell lockie beforehand for advice etc,

Is there anything else I need to do to prepare ?

also could someone just confirm I have this correct, the trent floods for about 2 hrs and then we would head from Cromwell to Torksey on the ebbing tide which runs for around 10 hrs ?

Finally when coming back from Torksey do you have to slot into the 2 hrs of incoming tide or do you just push against the ebbing tide ?

Many thanks

Matt

Miss the sunken islands!...keep WELL over at the CaRT yellow signed sections...especially Normanton Sands the first going down stream.

I have done this a few times in a narrowboat in both directions , is that what you have?

Just talk to, or phone, the lockkeepers and they will tell you the best time to leave Torksey /Cromwell.

Never had need of a radio or charts, just don't cut the corners and observe signage.

When I meet commercial stuff (which isn't often) I try and point my bow into the wash slightly.

If you get good weather its a brilliant journey ....... its that big you don't have to think too much and just watch the world go by .... slowly :)

P.S make sure you have plenty of diesel and an anchor ,just in case.

Got us grounded the first time we did the Trent, I now follow the chart! As with all tidal water - life-jackets!

Richlow guides are good, and you get updates by email.

TBA charts are ok & available from Cromwell , although I still prefer the old style rather than the New Google Earth ones. It is possible to read the river without them but they give good advice on where in the channel.

Typically you will leave Cromwell as the flood arrives (Maybe slightly early depending on the Keenness of those waiting!) , The ebb is slight from Cromwell to Torksey so it will seem to be similar to the run downstream (It speeds up as you get further down on the run to Keadby!) River is far more twisty & interesting. if you do meet some of the commercials (Unlikely on the trip down) dont panic , but also dont worry too much about passing on the right if they have come upon you around a blind bend - most just get out the way! Of course if it means you run aground its a different matter.

Coming back from the Fossdyke , Neil (Or whoever is on) will await the arrival of the flood before locking you out (If you are on the floating pontoons below you will see the arrival yourself) Depending on your speed & whether its a neap or spring tide it will give you a modest push back most of the way to Cromwell - I suspect it will have turned before you arrive but you should have no problems at all.

I think you will find the Tidal trent far more interesting than the dirty old Roman ditch Fossdyke ! Although Lincoln is a fine place to visit. Not sure what the Weed situation is at present further down past Bardney, but suspect its ok as its early & weather has been poor.

I would also recommend using VHF and getting the course done. Even on the non tidal Trent locks we all have VHF and I would much prefer a call on the VHF 29 mins before you arrive so I can prepare the lock for you. Telephone is way second choice because I can hear the VHF through external speakers even if we'll away from the lock cabin. The mobile is deep in my pocket, next to my wallet, so cannot hear ringing and my hand hardly goes near my wallet. (Yorkshire mother)

Ring Cromwell well in advance and they will advise you when is best to arrive. You will leave Cromwell on the ebb.

Hail Torksey as you pass the power station and they will have the lock ready for when you arrive, just drive straight in. Torksey safely operates 2.5 hours either side of high water, depending on the tides you can sometimes squeeze a bit more time depending on your draft.

As others have said get your radio certificate as soon as is possible. You can legally transmit in an emergency without it but you will find it useful to call the locks in advance of your arrival so they are ready as you get there.

Most of all enjoy the trip.

Its all been said but how much did you pay for your boat?

A vhf radio is a must they cost peanuts.

A Trent boating association chart are even less than peanuts and are very helpfull and interesing when passing various points along the river.

Make sure your engine is running well and change the fuel filters and drive belts if they are long in the tooth also check your jubilee clips on the coolant hoses I was on the tidal bit last year and another boat had one blow off on a spring tide and that for him was not fun.

Also I have all Trent locks both lanline and mobile programmed in to my fone, I have had for years it can save time if you want to ring them pretty quick.

Good anchor and warp

Plenty diesel.

Its a fab trip.

Enjoy

Tim

When we came up from Torksey to Cromwell last week, the lock-keeper said the incoming tide was so weak that it would make no difference what time we went. Certainly, leaving Torksey 3 hours before the (theoretical) flood, we saw no sign of it in the 5 hour 30 minutes that it it took us to reach Cromwell although presumably it did lessen the outflowing current slightly at some point.

It seemed a long trip compared to the 2 hour 30 minute trip from Cromell to Torksey the previous week. The dogs were really really glad to see the grass above Cromwell.

One small point re the big yellow signs that warn of "sunken islands". Beware that some of them tell you to stay on the same side of the river as the sign, and some tell you to go to the other side - rather like saying "if you're close enough to read this, you have probably just run aground"

Thanks all and everyone - the forum has come up trumps as usual.

We are a cruiser but the OB engine has just been fully serviced in preparation. I will definitely get the VHF training but for this trip I will probably have to just listen and use the phone as I won't have time before we go.

I have lifejackets and anchor etc so I think we will be ok.
Many thanks again for all the info

Matt

basic radio speak is all you need boat name followed by who you're calling, use over at the end of transmission when you want a reply and use out as finally ending conversation

if you call and don't get an answer wait a minute or two and then call again remember the lockies will have others to talk too and also be working the lock.

basic radio speak is all you need boat name followed by who you're calling, use over at the end of transmission when you want a reply and use out as finally ending conversation

if you call and don't get an answer wait a minute or two and then call again remember the lockies will have others to talk too and also be working the lock.

Yes but presumably I shouldn't transmit until I have passed the course or unless I am in an emergency.

Sorry incorrect.

Station you are calling repeated followed by your station name.

Text of message

Over.

And yes Give us time to get to the radio. Might be operating lock or on phone. Might even be dashing to toilet in between boafs!

Edited by jelunga

Thanks all and everyone - the forum has come up trumps as usual.

We are a cruiser but the OB engine has just been fully serviced in preparation. I will definitely get the VHF training but for this trip I will probably have to just listen and use the phone as I won't have time before we go.

I have lifejackets and anchor etc so I think we will be ok.

Many thanks again for all the info

Matt

You will be fine - Plenty of Cruisers take the trip from Cromwell to Torksey without VHF , you have far more maneuverability than a NB so if you meet a graveller you will just get out the way !

If you meet the skiers just turn into into the wash ... easy

Enjoy it - Wish we were there to come down with you

Yes but presumably I shouldn't transmit until I have passed the course or unless I am in an emergency.

Technically the answer is no, but I refer you to my previous post (Post 4). Essentially if you sound professional, no one asks questions.

The course is still a must as theres lots of info and its actually quite interesting. I'm just saying you should get away with it if you were so inclined, but I will warn you that if you are caught by OfCom (unlikely), you will be in for it.

Regards,

Lockie.

Technically the answer is no, but I refer you to my previous post (Post 4). Essentially if you sound professional, no one asks questions.

The course is still a must as theres lots of info and its actually quite interesting. I'm just saying you should get away with it if you were so inclined, but I will warn you that if you are caught by OfCom (unlikely), you will be in for it.

Regards,

Lockie.

Maybe not upstream of Cromwell but we have been asked for our paperwork at Goole and Grimsby now.

Also checked boat paperwork, insurance etc.