Boat burgled above Watford locks

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

If that is your interpretation then you haven't been reading carefully enough.

Finch has, like so many of our ex-servicemen, been let down by the MOD and subsequent governments who don't care what happens to them after they are no longer any use to them but that still doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions.

Agree. Slightly OT, but we bought wrist bands from these guys, Soldiers off the Street, at Crick. It's a charity working with Combat Stress and the like to help homeless vets.

Anthony Earnest Finch was born 1941 in Lowestoft that makes him 72 now.

When I casually looked into this myth a few years ago, I could find no evidence that he was ever a member of the British armed forces (only rumour) and if he was it could only have been for a very short period. It still seems to earn him sympathy which clouds the real certain fact that he is an habitual criminal with a string of convictions stretching back over decades including firearms offences.

In my opinion his so-called fabled survival techniques could just as easily have be learnt from his time as a homeless alcoholic, including giving himself up when the going gets tough to get a nice warm cell at taxpayers expense. He used to break into houses to take what he wanted until he found that canal boats were easier.

Anthony Earnest Finch was born 1941 in Lowestoft that makes him 72 now.

When I casually looked into this myth a few years ago, I could find no evidence that he was ever a member of the British armed forces (only rumour) and if he was it could only have been for a very short period. It still seems to earn him sympathy which clouds the real certain fact that he is an habitual criminal with a string of convictions stretching back over decades including firearms offences.

Interesting because when I casually looked into this myth I could find no solid evidence that he was never a member of the British armed forces but plenty of anecdotal evidence including from police officers and ex-soldiers that he was.

I see that the content of your post is actually paraphrasing Mr Cochlan's work which he himself states is a work of faction derived from anecdotal evidence and rumour.

I think the details of his past are not actually relevant but the fact that a 72 year old man still prefers to live rough and rely on petty theft to survive is both a reason to punish a criminal and, more importantly, a sad reflection of society and how we treat people.

If he was a soldier then it would appear that the MOD has failed him.

As an habitual criminal it would appear that the rehabilitation and post prison support system has failed him (and his victims)

Now he is an old man it would appear that the welfare system is failing him.

If none of these have failed him then I would suggest that the Mental Health care system has failed him.

That aside he should still be held to account for his crimes and be brought to justice accordingly.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

Carl.

I seem to remember someone, somewhere saying to me that at one time, maybe more times, that he was/has been housed, be it in a residential home, and he decided that it wasn't for his good self.

If,and I have no reason to believe or disbelieve ,that he is ex-service he is one of the few from his estimated time of service that has ended in such circumstances.

As you say, the MOD have and still do turn their backs on past service personnel, certainly more so in the last ten years or so but I am of the belief that the MOD are putting support issues to the fore to correct this.

I will ask my question again though. Is he still with us. I was informed in good faith that he had popped his socks. I don't mean harm to any fellow human being, lets be honest, he is a pest.

I will also add that the above are my views and don't really wish to get into the whys and therefores concerning ex-servicemen (and women).

Martyn. Edited to add that chimney chain got in before me.

Edited by Nightwatch

Or maybe he failed himself. There's plenty of help out there for people in this country , it's whether he accepts, that's more to the point.

Darren

As the majority of homeless men in the UK are ex-servicemen, with mental health issues and/or drug problems your theory would suggest that there may be help for some but certainly not all.

Just received a note from George Dickinson of CRT at Braunston to say that 3 boats were broken into in the same area at the same time. Seems like Mike and Starry were not the only ones.

Did he get 5 & 6 from them?

The police officer who came out to us was particularly interested in the burglary as he was wondering if it tied into another local break in that had occurred locally in the prior fortnight. However that was ruled out fairly quickly, as the other break in was very different and appeared highly targeted: They hit two hire boats full of people on a stag do, waiting until they all left for the pub and then going through taking phones, ipods, laptops etc.

Nightwatch, according to the same police officer, he thought that Finch had recently (as in, earlier in 2013) come out of prison; he didn't seem to have heard or think that the man had died.

Really sorry to hear about the break-in, Starry and MtB.

It's true that he won't take things he dislikes. When he broke into ours he didn't take the bottle of sweet sherry which we hate and would happily have given to anyone who asked for it.

• Greenie 1

Really sorry to hear about the break-in, Starry and MtB.

It's true that he won't take things he dislikes. When he broke into ours he didn't take the bottle of sweet sherry which we hate and would happily have given to anyone who asked for it.

I like sweet sherry

Richard

Sorry to hear of your boat being broken into starry and MtB.

I have read about this chap before breaking into boats. I myself would hate to have a thief invading my home and going through my possesions whether it was Mr Finch or not. Theft is theft.

Hope you both can repair the damage cheaply and be theft free from now on.

James.

I could find no evidence that he was ever a member of the British armed forces (only rumour) and if he was it could only have been for a very short period.

Anyone born in 1941 would be 18 around 1959. Conscription ended in 1960 so would he not have done 2 years national service?

I have Guides 1;3;4 bought in the late 70's (can't see a publication date) in good nick which you can have foc if you can arrange collection Sheffield/Chesterfield area.

Sadly, I can't ever see me using them again.

Cheers

HH

Hi HH - I am in Chesterfield and if Mike wants these and between us we can get them to me before the weekend I will be visiting 2 festivals - Stoke Bruerne on Saturday and Pelsall on Sunday. Although I don't think Mike or Starry will be at either I suspect will be able to leave them with someone at one of the festivals who can get them to Mike or failing that they can stay on board Python until Braunston show the following weekend when there is a second chance to get them to him

Interesting because when I casually looked into this myth I could find no solid evidence that he was never a member of the British armed forces but plenty of anecdotal evidence including from police officers and ex-soldiers that he was.

I see that the content of your post is actually paraphrasing Mr Cochlan's work which he himself states is a work of faction derived from anecdotal evidence and rumour.

I think the details of his past are not actually relevant but the fact that a 72 year old man still prefers to live rough and rely on petty theft to survive is both a reason to punish a criminal and, more importantly, a sad reflection of society and how we treat people.

If he was a soldier then it would appear that the MOD has failed him.

As an habitual criminal it would appear that the rehabilitation and post prison support system has failed him (and his victims)

Now he is an old man it would appear that the welfare system is failing him.

If none of these have failed him then I would suggest that the Mental Health care system has failed him.

That aside he should still be held to account for his crimes and be brought to justice accordingly.

Assuming of course that he had come to the attention of the Mental Health services.

It is unrealistic surely to expect those services to be on the lookout for people who may just happen to need help - they can only help those who they are aware of.

Assuming of course that he had come to the attention of the Mental Health services.

It is unrealistic surely to expect those services to be on the lookout for people who may just happen to need help - they can only help those who they are aware of.

A repeat offender, living rough and refusing to engage in conventional means of support would be referred for mental health assessment either by the courts or during his stay at HMP.

If he hasn't then that is where the Mental Health care system has let him down.

Many of the service users my OH works with fit the Finch profile to a tee.

Edited by carlt

I totally agree. Not a lot was taken, little damage was caused. I'm privileged to own a boat at all so this isn't that big a deal to me.

Starry is a lot more bothered about it than me. She doesn't need to be IMO, but she is.

And thank you to everyone who has commented so kindly in this thread!

MtB

Hi HH - I am in Chesterfield and if Mike wants these and between us we can get them to me before the weekend I will be visiting 2 festivals - Stoke Bruerne on Saturday and Pelsall on Sunday. Although I don't think Mike or Starry will be at either I suspect will be able to leave them with someone at one of the festivals who can get them to Mike or failing that they can stay on board Python until Braunston show the following weekend when there is a second chance to get them to him

Hi

Does he actually want them? If so happy to try to sort something out. PM sent.

Cheers

HH

I can only see things getting worse as this heartless government cuts away at vital services. Why do we think its ok not to care.

I would be angry scared and distressed if it was my boat but I know how easily a persons life can go off the rails. Still think that there need to be consequences for offenders but what works best I could not say.

Anyone born in 1941 would be 18 around 1959. Conscription ended in 1960 so would he not have done 2 years national service?

You may well be right but at 18yrs of age young men had to either register for National Service or opt to defer service until 21 years old and it seems that it was this deferred intake that ended in 1960. According to The Times headline in 1957 - "Defence Policy Approved Conscription To End With 1939 Class". In fact it was widely known at that time that the easiest way to avoid conscription was to ignore the summons to register.

As one sure fact known about our man is that he later ignorred and expertly avoided every bail condition involving accommodation, counselling or other help, then it would be no surprise if he managed to avoid registering for National Service.

The point I make is that this criminal has often gained sympathy for being failed by people whom he in fact steadfastly avoided and for learning to live his chosen rough life due to heroic service in our armed forces of which there is no evidence other than myth and rumour.

He is NOT Robin Hood. He only takes from, and gives mysery to, others.