one pot tasty mince cous-cous

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

For those who prefer the simplicity of just a single pan, here's a quick and tasty receipe. All quantities to be adjusted for your taste, and the size of the pan/number of diners. Below is for one person.

Put a large pan on the stove, and add a small amount of oil. Heat up.

Dice an onion or two, and soften in pan.

Chop galic to taste, and add to pan.

Add around 200-250 gramms of beef or lamb mince , and brown.

Add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Stir.

Disolve a large teaspoon of bisto in a medium size cup of cold water, and add. Stir.

Cover, and leave to bubble for 15 minutes.

Add herbs as available, fresh is better than dried, but dried will do.

Leave for 5 minutes.

Add some water to moisten if required.

Add a cup of cous-cous per person to the pan, and stir well. Cover and leave for 5 minutes.

Add a tin of carrots and peas. Heat through for a few minutes.

Serve and enjoy

Celebrity cheffie ?

God, there are times when I am trully gratefull, for not watching tv, nor reading the papersz..

This is one of those...

If, on the other hand,you lijke to trij a recepie by a boater, who uses only one pan, and does his own washing up, you will enjoy that cous-cous.

I do...

"Disolve a large teaspoon of bisto" Other gravy granules are available.

I'll get my coat. It's june and I still bloody need it.

No, but yeah, but no.

They are are cheap substitutes. Only Bisto will give the desired result...

• 2 weeks later...

Tinned peas sad.png

Yes, OK, but...

On Sickle we have no way of keeping things cold. Just a cool bag with some frozen blocks - it stays cool for a day, after that you have no choice but ambient temperature - and we have been out for as long as 17 days. We keep chilled food as close to the water as possible, down behind the coal box, in the cool bag, but you can forget frozen. Chilled/frozen food has to be eaten within the day. Milk has to be bought daily, or it has to be UHT sick.gif . Cheese will last a bit longer.

Some parts of the system are a long way from civilisation/shops - which means that I have to be inventive. If I can buy fresh peas (wot? in a Spar or mini Co-op?), all well and good - they will last a day under the counter, but sometimes we have to resort to...tinned vegetables !ohmy.png

At times we have to have something like a one-pot risotto verdi made with tinned mushrooms, peas and green beans - with a bit of cheese (we are veggie, so forget mince).

So, how do we manage to eat tinned peas without vomiting?

Simple, buy French. It's still tinned, but IMHO it is massively better quality than anything produced in the UK. Yes, it is more expensive, but it is edible. I have a few French tins of vegetables stashed under the side bed, for those times when you are miles from a shop - or a pub with veggie food!

I buy them at the local Waitrose.

• 5 weeks later...

Couldn't you use one pan for everything except the couscous, and a smallish bowl of boiling hot water for that? I'm a couscous lover but I do like to choose how much unsullied grain I get in each mouthful!

surely cous cous is pasta not grain?

Howard

surely cous cous is pasta not grain?

Howard

It's granules of durum wheat.

I hate the idea of them being cooked together, but I'm equally concerned at the omission of chick peas and sultanas. Harissa is a mandatory add-on extra and can come from a tube or jar, and I guess the sultanas are better added when the dish is served too.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di