Gas Bottle Size, Price and Availability from Fuel Boats

JLees

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've got a bit of a glitch with my builder who has built the gas lockers to small to accept the 13kg bottles (honest communication gap). I'm a long way from the canals so was wondering if anyone could let me know if the fuel boats supply the next size down (6kg?) and what is the relative pricing? I've always used the 13kg bottles before. I've always used 13kg bottles before so am drawing a bit of a mental blank on this one! Thanks!

I think our local fuel boats only do 13KG cylinders

Trouble with the 6KG ones is that a refill isn't hugely cheaper than a 13KG refill.

Calor currently quote 13KG at £25.49, whereas 6KG is £19.99, so the gas is getting towards being double the price.

Bit of a glitch? That's a major disaster.

What kind of builder makes a gas locker too small for industry standard bottles?

Liverpool. Our locker is about 5mm off being able to take 13kg cylinders.

Bit of a glitch? That's a major disaster.

What kind of builder makes a gas locker too small for industry standard bottles?

Make him do it again.

You know I kinda agree, except that apart from this he's been absolutely great...... so I was thinking I could compromise and use the next smaller bottles until it occurred to me that (a) they might be proportionately much more expensive and (b)I'm not sure the fuel boats even stock them....I'm off grid most of the time so rely on that! As I said I'm a long way from the canals at the moment (china!) so can't check the next time one comes by!

So if anyone could let me know? Would be much appreciated!

Edited by JLees

They are not generally stocked and difficult to find on the cut but easy to carry from a garden centre - I have a 6kg bottle for a blowtorch.

Still, if he's been great so far, smile sweetly when you tell him he's got to do it again. Or hmgive him a bottle of single malt.

2 hours pain vs a lifetime of it.

(a) they might be proportionately much more expensive and (b)I'm not sure the fuel boats even stock them

( A ) They are, and ( B ) they are harder to buy. See Alan Fincher's post.

The builders might be jolly nice people but they're going to cost you a lot of money and hassle if you don't get this corrected. He should be correcting it as standard, not trying to see if you might be willing to compromise on something so fundamental!

Edited by Starcoaster

Make him do it again.

Happened to me - the builder had used an old bottle as a guide that was shorter than normal ones. He had to redo it by dropping the floor by a couple of inches.

There was no way I was going to accept it as it was.

I wouldn't be very happy. Get them to remedy the situation especially as the gas is dearer and any potential problems over resale value.

James.

Hi,

It can be difficult to get sufficient depth to allow the gas locker to be self draining in a tug style boat, unless the locker is flooded or extended in height.

Smaller bottles become the only option.

L.

OK -thanks all- grief I fear awaits me

I think grief awaits your builder, not you, but it depends how it came about.

What kind of communication gap are you talking about? Your build knows damned well that the standard is 13kg and, if your communications suggested you wanted a locker for the smaller cylinders, he should have quizzed you to the n'th degree to make sure you knew what you were asking him to do.

If he is only 5mm out, he has made a mistake, rather than designing it for the smaller bottle.

When you come to sell, this could be the sole reason for some people to not want your boat.

wakehams boats stock all sizes 18 pounds for a 6 kg give pete a call 07774166497 jj

Given that the OP gives his location as London (and China) he is going to have a hell of a fuel bill just to get a bottle of gas, I still say get them to change the locker.

Phil

I've just browsed through the replies, so someone may have already mentioned it, but remember that there are (at least) two different height 13kg gas bottles. I'm not sure if there are actually names for these, but there's the one with a "frame" top that protects the isolator and the one with the "solid" protector.

There's an inch or two difference in height between the two (the frame type is taller), and both are readily available. Liz who used to run one of the coal boats once asked me which I needed for my locker, because apparently there are plenty of boats around with gas lockers that can't fit the taller bottles.

If you haven't already done so, just check that the shorter of the two 13kg bottles won't fit before you do anything else.

Edited by blackrose

There's an inch or two difference in height between the two (the frame type is taller), and both are readily available. Liz who used to run one of the coal boats once asked me which I needed for my locker, because apparently there are plenty of boats around with gas lockers that can't fit the taller bottles.

Melaleuca needs the shorter type. otherwise the gas locker doesn't close. I've not yet come across a gas supplier who doesn't have a least one of the correct type lurking in the cylinder cage.

MP.

I've just browsed through the replies, so someone may have already mentioned it, but remember that there are (at least) two different height 13kg gas bottles. I'm not sure if there are actually names for these, but there's the one with a "frame" top that protects the isolator and the one with the "solid" protector.

If you haven't already done so, just check that the shorter of the two 13kg bottles won't fit before you do anything else.

Melaleuca needs the shorter type. otherwise the gas locker doesn't close. I've not yet come across a gas supplier who doesn't have a least one of the correct type lurking in the cylinder cage.

MP.

There's two different heights of 19kg bottles, too. Lucky Duck only fitted the shorter of the two types.

It's quite annoying!