Internet on board via T-mobile

tomandsophie

Featured Posts

We finally got the internet on board 'Tarifa'. We added 'Web 'n' Walk Professional' to our T-mobile contract for a mere £10 a month for unlimited access. Bargain! It works a treat, as you can see - I'm writing this sitting in our living room moored up near Bath with a nice cosy log fire burning in the Squirrel (that's a strange turn of phrase!).

Just thought I'd share that. I think it's quite exciting. :) We had pretty much written-off the idea of internet on the boat due to ridiculous expense. Until we found out about the T-mobile deal. Seemed too good to be true. But it works!

And no, I don't work for T-mobile! :rolleyes:

We finally got the internet on board 'Tarifa'. We added 'Web 'n' Walk Professional' to our T-mobile contract for a mere £10 a month for unlimited access. Bargain! It works a treat, as you can see - I'm writing this sitting in our living room moored up near Bath with a nice cosy log fire burning in the Squirrel (that's a strange turn of phrase!).

Just thought I'd share that. I think it's quite exciting. :D We had pretty much written-off the idea of internet on the boat due to ridiculous expense. Until we found out about the T-mobile deal. Seemed too good to be true. But it works!

And no, I don't work for T-mobile! :rolleyes:

:) well done! Sounds fabulous!

Sounds good!

Not quite as exciting, but im surfing in from loughborough on a random unsecure wireless conection.

- There are so many here its untrue, i can pick up about 8 with a bog standard pci wifi card. Most of which are totaly unsecure wifi routers, which all have there defualt paswords and everthing. So not only can i steal there internet, i could easly alter the setup, thus stoping them being able to access it as well!

We're geting out internet sorted asap, which will take the form of a SECURED wirless setup.

- However, for now its a great stop gap!

I must get my phone sorted as well though. my current PAYG tariff is costing me a small fortune, my phones busy trying to crap-out on me, and i would like to be able to use it as a wirless modem too.

Daniel

Hi T & S

Okay, I missed this. How come you get T-mobile access for £10? I'm on a web 'n walk unlimited card for £17 a month. It was a deal whereby you get the card free but are signed up for a long time (forget if it's a year or longer).

It works well in some areas but is pretty unpredictable on the move in different locations (only got 2 bars at the moment which means it's slooow!). Also, it's only ever using GPRS and never 3G.

I had to disable the 'unsecured wireless connections' as I could never get on them and they seemed to be interfering with the GPRS connection. I don't understand it (as you can tell) but the T-mobile helpline suggested I switch em off and it worked better after that.

Bandwidth thief!

Done it myself a few times tho. The centre of Brum was the best place.

Yeah, not proud of it. But theres not much else i can do, and tbh, its there own stupid fault.

- Ours should be sorted soonish, bt reconect the line on the 11th, then a few days from then, then we have our own!

Daniel

Hi T & S

Okay, I missed this. How come you get T-mobile access for £10? I'm on a web 'n walk unlimited card for £17 a month. It was a deal whereby you get the card free but are signed up for a long time (forget if it's a year or longer).

It works well in some areas but is pretty unpredictable on the move in different locations (only got 2 bars at the moment which means it's slooow!). Also, it's only ever using GPRS and never 3G.

I had to disable the 'unsecured wireless connections' as I could never get on them and they seemed to be interfering with the GPRS connection. I don't understand it (as you can tell) but the T-mobile helpline suggested I switch em off and it worked better after that.

It costs £10 a month because it's an add-on to our existing phone contract. We connect via the phone rather than via a card, so it costs less. The other advantage is that it's not on any contract, so if we're moored in a place where we can't get any signal we can just cancel the add-on. Bargain. Plus, having it via the phone rather than a card means that if the signal is weak we can stick the phone out on the bow deck and sit inside in the warm! :rolleyes:

Sorry Carrie, didn't mean to rub it in, but I guess we all learn from each other don't we. All the best, Tom.

It costs £10 a month because it's an add-on to our existing phone contract......

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do T-mob have a problem with you using Skype of this service, I've heard that some providers block the ports that Skype uses.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been using the T mobile data card for the last 2 months, I was a bit dubious that coverage would be not up to scratch when out in the sticks but I have travelled from London to Coventry in that time and have allways been able to get on line, mostly on GPRS but have been UMTS and that really flies. When you consider that we surf from inside a steel box its very clever.

Long may it continue :captain:

Yeah, not proud of it. But theres not much else i can do, and tbh, its there own stupid fault.

- Ours should be sorted soonish, bt reconect the line on the 11th, then a few days from then, then we have our own!

Daniel

hope you got your own sorted daniel.

nowdays the law sees no difference between the guys that nicked your strimmer, and what you're doing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

on my home network i've left it open, but it's called "Open and free" as an indication that i don't mind, but if you used one of my works WAPs i'd have you nailed to a tree.

unless you get specific permission it's theft plain and simple. :captain:

as for TMobile I use Web and Walk on my smartphone, and I'm addicted. £7.50 a month all I can eat. :mellow:

Just thought I'd share that. I think it's quite exciting. :D We had pretty much written-off the idea of internet on the boat due to ridiculous expense. Until we found out about the T-mobile deal. Seemed too good to be true. But it works!

And no, I don't work for T-mobile! :D

I was all ready to sign up for a T-mobile and then spotted that there's an access point at Sawley Marina - cool.

ADSLguide.org clocked it at 600+kb/sec downstream, it drops out very briefly from time to time but is pretty good on the whole. No contract either.

I also have a squirrel burning in the living room, it's okay once you get it lit properly.

yeah they're secure enough. Although wireless is never 100% secure.

I just don't get all these people who don't lock their doors, i mean it's totally their fault when i just nip in and nick the video.

All the trite comebacks you can think of, will not change anything, the warning was for your own good. It's a crime plain and simple. it might take people in the UK a while to get used to the idea, but that's what it is.

I've failed to secure mine for a very valid reason, but to ensure it stays that way the admin password is strong enough.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Hacking WiFi was on The Real Hustle in the UK - I see its on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBHjZUKW54

If a networks open, then unless all your traffic is encrypted, it can be seen - even if you're inviting people to share. There is some open source hotspot software that would keep it separate from your own use. There are also FreeSpot directories you could join.

Does the W&W include free use of Tmobile hotspots. I currently use Orange GPRS to browse, but looking into getting wifi but the price for hotspots is expensive.

Edited by Nic

Hacking WiFi was on The Real Hustle in the UK - I see its on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBHjZUKW54

If a networks open, then unless all your traffic is encrypted, it can be seen - even if you're inviting people to share. There is some open source hotspot software that would keep it separate from your own use. There are also FreeSpot directories you could join.

Does the W&W include free use of Tmobile hotspots. I currently use Orange GPRS to browse, but looking into getting wifi but the price for hotspots is expensive.

that is amazing! I'd have never guessed you could actually see what people do on their computers!

This is why at home, we have a WIRED network...

And why at uni, even tho we do have WPA-PSK enabled, im aware of the fact that im still fairly vunrable, and ort to get around to sorting the MAC addresses.

However, one point i did pickup on was the one about not naming it something the revealed who you where, or which house.

- NOt somthing ive thought of, might changed the network name now!!

- Although in a student house, in a student area, the relevence is proberbly less!

Daniel

Just thought I'd share that. I think it's quite exciting. :angry: We had pretty much written-off the idea of internet on the boat due to ridiculous expense. Until we found out about the T-mobile deal. Seemed too good to be true. But it works!

And no, I don't work for T-mobile! :angry:

Are you downloading to your phone or to a laptop via a data card?

Gill & Groff Lovegrove

- Although in a student house, in a student area, the relevence is proberbly less!

Surely it would be more - students are more likely to go for new technology. In Leeds the student area has a very high crime rate, especially autumn, because thieves know students come with a lot of electronic gifts (presents from relatives etc).

More students are coming with laptops (don't forget many Uni's now have schemes to lease laptops to students or allow them to buy them heavily subsidised), and new laptops tend to have wifi built in, so more likely to go wireless?

Dhutch also bare in mind some people leave their networks open for a reason.

One being to obtain your info.

Someone mentioned skype you can use loads of other similar services plus you can open retricted ports.

I read a piece on the ethical hackers site about this (EH find holes in systems and help the people secure them up) about faking access points, so that you connect to them rather than the real one. The problem is most traffic is unsecured, even if you have secured email (e.g. googlmail) only the initial password sign in tends to be encrypted, after that its all open.