Is it grim up north?

Featured Posts

Well time for an update. (No signal yesterday) Burnley no probs, canal into Blackburn a lot of crap about, had to visit the weed hatch twice. ( do travis Perkins supply all the bags on our prop) Only one moving boat all day. Today total grid lock, 4 moving boats all day. :))

As for the locks we are on a 58.5 boat doing most of the locks on our own, yes the back deck has got a bit wet on occasion but what are bilge pumps & water proofs for. Now moored at red rock ready for the assault on the Wigan flight in the morning.

Well time for an update. (No signal yesterday) Burnley no probs, canal into Blackburn a lot of crap about, had to visit the weed hatch twice. ( do travis Perkins supply all the bags on our prop) Only one moving boat all day. Today total grid lock, 4 moving boats all day. smile.png)

As for the locks we are on a 58.5 boat doing most of the locks on our own, yes the back deck has got a bit wet on occasion but what are bilge pumps & water proofs for. Now moored at red rock ready for the assault on the Wigan flight in the morning.

..or go on the HNC for a complete boatwash!

Img_8790.jpg

Had that happen at Eturia in stoke a couple of years ago. Never realised I could do the full length of a boat, close all the windows & get back to the helm so quickly. ( upside. The boat was very clean afterwards)

We started our boating in Sheffied 2 yrs ago, and spent a lot of time cruising the Sheffield..Leeds...Rochdale...routes...

There's still SO much we havent had time to see.

Liverpool,

Lancaster canal

Leeds/Liverpool

Goole/Trent/Leicester/Nottingham

York/Ouse/Ripon

We didnt even get to Runcorn yet smile.png

There certainly is a lot of different types up here....wide rivers, narrow canals, tidal rivers, industrial waterways, canals with 100s of locks, canals with no locks, wide locks, automated key locks, narrow locks,

YOU NAME IT, THE NORTH HAS IT.

erm....sorry..I'm lying....it's a horrible place, and we dont want too many visitors clogging up the VMs.

totally agree its grim up North don't do it stay away ninja.gif the natives get very restless when we hear southerners ninja.gif

No chip on MY shoulder Top Cat, just addressing your obvious bias and prejudice against the Northern Waterways.

I was brought up on the L&L canal, and love it, but agree with TC about the gates on the Wigan flight. I have had a few soakings when going through those locks with our 57ft boat.

I was brought up on the L&L canal, and love it, but agree with TC about the gates on the Wigan flight. I have had a few soakings when going through those locks with our 57ft boat.

Try the L&L in a 60 ft....fortunately we have a good bilge pump.

(It's not just the Wigan flight either)

Try the L&L in a 60 ft....fortunately we have a good bilge pump.

(It's not just the Wigan flight either)

I have been on a 60ft belonging to my friend. It wasn't funny! I shudder when I hear people talking about putting 62 footers in diagonally; they must take some water! I agree that other locks elsewhere are often bad, but the Wigan steps are notorious. Ironically one of the worst locks to operate in Wigan is the one closest to the BW/C&RT offices.

I have been on a 60ft belonging to my friend. It wasn't funny! I shudder when I hear people talking about putting 62 footers in diagonally; they must take some water! I agree that other locks elsewhere are often bad, but the Wigan steps are notorious. Ironically one of the worst locks to operate in Wigan is the one closest to the BW/C&RT offices.

And when you phone them to report the problem they ask what canal its on frusty.gif

And when you phone them to report the problem they ask what canal its on frusty.gif

Because nowadays the calls go to a central location who then pass on the info. to the relevant office.

On the Leeds Liverpool canal the locks are only 60' long from Wigan to Leeds.

If you do decide to come T'North don't forget to visit the River Weaver and The Anderton Lift!!

Locks on The Weaver are done for you by Very Friendly and Helpful lock keepers and the scenery is beautiful!!!

But then I am biased as it is our home mooring!!!!!

Nothing is grim up north and as 'janekinson' says the River Weaver is well worth a visit, i took this video of my uncles ex boat "OWL" passing under the Acton bridge swing bridge, turning and mooring up, I hadn't seen her for twenty years and as that day was my 73rd birthday, what a surprise and present it was.

I strongly advise people to stay away from the Weaver...

Seriously, it is a beautiful stretch of water and well worth a visit. I echo comments about the lockies being brilliant, as are the staff who man the lift.

Today's update (if you're, bored please say) Wigan flight 3 hours twenty mins, paired up with a 60.5 boat (thanks Jenny & dave). Wet feet twice no drama. But 60 foot boat had to make sure all doors and engine hatches were well sealed. Now outside the ring of bells, only badly leaking locks were appley & dean & lock 87 outside the c&rt office with gates that wouldn't stay shut.. You really should not come up north. :)

Nothing is grim up north and as 'janekinson' says the River Weaver is well worth a visit, i took this video of my uncles ex boat "OWL" passing under the Acton bridge swing bridge, turning and mooring up, I hadn't seen her for twenty years and as that day was my 73rd birthday, what a surprise and present it was.

now that's a good looking boat. I'd like it please.

Did you speak to the guys on board. If you did, I guess you mentioned your uncles involvement in Owl.

Martyn

Today's update (if you're, bored please say) Wigan flight 3 hours twenty mins, paired up with a 60.5 boat (thanks Jenny & dave). Wet feet twice no drama. But 60 foot boat had to make sure all doors and engine hatches were well sealed. Now outside the ring of bells, only badly leaking locks were appley & dean & lock 87 outside the c&rt office with gates that wouldn't stay shut.. You really should not come up north. smile.png

Perhaps some of the Wigan steps have been tightened up since we last went through. Appley leaked in 1968 when I first went through it, and hasn't changed much over the years. That one with gates that won't stay shut is a pain.

now that's a good looking boat. I'd like it please.

Did you speak to the guys on board. If you did, I guess you mentioned your uncles involvement in Owl.

Martyn

Martyn, yes I had a good 'chinwag' and Ray new of my uncle, he was passing Shebdon wharf near Norbury on the Shroppie when my cousin ran to the bank and shouted "Oi! thats our boat" so he turned and went back to see her and no doubt learned a great deal about the build, she was built on the side at Runcorn by ron Turner in 1973. Owl has a canoe shaped hull and only 21' 6" of flat side in centre of her 45ft hull and swims beautifully. She was built as a short working boat originally with a cabin extention added much later in her life. Jack built her that lenghth so he could wind her on the Bridgewater without travelling for a hole and seeing as he contracted to the canal company for clearing rubbish from the cut she was plenty long enough.

It's great when all this information is passed on to other to enjoy, on pass on. If you get my drift.

Martyn

I get your drift Martyn, it's only interesting to those who are interested!, subtle and point taken - straight throw the heart like a poisoned arrow.unsure.png

I get your drift Martyn, it's only interesting to those who are interested!, subtle and point taken - straight throw the heart like a poisoned arrow.unsure.png

I found it interesting enough to read Algy, I don't think Martyn was implying that you needn't have bothered posting it.

Burscough, constant drizzle & rain since 6 this morning, but on the plus side we're moored outside the ring o bells all day, waiting for the grandaughter to arrive, then to the pub for lunch.

It rains most of the time in Burscough. There is an old saying: "If you can't see Winter Hill mast it is raining; if you can see Winter Hill mast it is about to rain."

I found it interesting enough to read Algy, I don't think Martyn was implying that you needn't have bothered posting it.

John, thanks for your reply, I'm not easily offended and do accept Martyns comment in the best possible way that it was intended, the problem with me is that although we were avid boaters many years ago, it's not easy to integrate with folk who are totally immerse in cruising with their own craft and although having a reasonable knowledge of the canals, other than walking the towpath, slowly I hasten to add, don't really have a great deal to offer other than many very happy memories, so you good folk will have to make allowances for my rambling from time to time.

its so grim up north we're about to have 'art' inflicted on us...

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/leeds-and-liverpool-canal-attracts-arts-funding

the video has some nice shots of the burnley festival last september (can't see our boat ) and clearly shows what a horrid rubbish strewn dingy cut the L&L is in burnley - best avoided by soft southerners...