Is it grim up north?

Featured Posts

Someone mentioned that you'll not understand what they say. I've always struggled with Barry Whitlock on the Bingley 5 Rise as he's so broad. Now I've lived in Bradford since 1982, but when he told me to do something when I was lock wheeling I couldn't understand a word, but figured it was probably important to understand and not to say "Oh yes" and blag it. He was saying "leave one paddle half-up on each set of gates as I'm sending water down to Leeds", so I'm glad I got him to repeat it, which he did .... slowly.

It wasn't grim today, but was interesting, did the Wigan flight in the blistering sun, only to find the pounds @ 73 - 77 empty made for a different day, but still fun. Also off topic passed my first known forum members boat yesterday in parbold. The man that writes exceedingly good books.

People down Sarf telling other boaters to stay away from the North. Have they actually been North of Watford? Dont knock sommert you've never tried!!!

What makes you think that its people down south telling people to stay away?

I get your drift Martyn, it's only interesting to those who are interested!, subtle and point taken - straight throw the heart like a poisoned arrow.:unsure:

just caught up with this thread.

Algy, I think you have misunderstood my post.

I think it is excellent that after many years you can meet up with a boat known from years ago,AND, get the opportunity to speak to the present owner and pass on your experience and a bit of the history of their pride and joy.

I wasn't being sarcastic in any shape or form. I apologise if my post came over as such. Keep up with your posts sharing your past with others and myself of course. As has been said before the typed word can be and sometimes is misconstrued.

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

To add some balance, we don't need any of you traveliing types down here either. There is nothing more annoying than a northern accent, droning on how things are better " up north".. if they were, why are you down here??

Because we like to poke fun at Southerners, and point out that their opinions of superiority are over-inflated - - and wrong :)

(similar to some other EU types!!) :)

To add some balance, we don't need any of you traveliing types down here either. There is nothing more annoying than a northern accent, droning on how things are better " up north".. if they were, why are you down here??

Missionary work.

• Greenie 1

That puts me in mind of when we first arrived in Lancashire, a couple of weeks after moving aboard. I joined my fellow pariahs for a ciggie outside the pub in Adlington and attempted polite conversation. It soon became apparent my accent was not from their parts, and an enquiry was made by an old boy as to where I came from. When I told him he looked me up and down and said quite aggressively (or was it disbelievingly? I don't know) "so what are you doing up here then?"

It struck me as funny and a bit odd at the time. I worked in London for 15 years and was used to mixing with many nationalities and cultures - suddenly I felt foreign in my own country! The same happened in Nottingham where I was called posh every time I opened my mouth - I come from a council estate in Essex - posh I ain't!

It's all part of life's rich pattern though isn't it? And a big part of the reason we embarked on this experience - to get outside our little bit of England and experience properly other parts of the country.

Maybe I need to practice oop instead of up and bath instead of barth :D

Ange, for you in old Lancashire Dialect - a poem about a baby cutting its teeth.

Get tha gob roond yon ditty, lass!.

Cuttin Id Teeth

For weeks it's slavvered o th' day through on hankitcher an' bib,
It's slavvered on idsel an' me - it's slavvered on th' owd rib.
It's shoved id neyve into id meawth, an skriked an' kickt id legs,
An' o becose it's gooin' to ged some "ickle peggy-wegs."

It's chewed id hand for heawrs at wonst, it's chewed id ivory ring,
It's chewed - eh dear, aw r'aly think it's chewed at ev'rything.
It's chewed mi' ears, it's chewed mi nooase, wi' gums as hard as segs,
An' yet thad little bab o' mine corn'd cut id peggy-wegs.

It's bitten away at th' Tum-cat's tail, till th' Tum-cat's t'en id hook;
It's bitten away ten bob's arrears fro' th' rent-collector's book.
It's bitten hoyles i' th' sofy seat, an' polish off th' cheear legs,
An' still thad little beggar corn'd fot eawt them peggy-wegs.

For the benefit of those yet to be 'edicated', th'owd rib means the wife; neyve is knife (of course). Ten bob, in the old days, was half a pound (money), hoyles is holes, and cheear couldn't be anything other than chair.

So now you know.

Well we have spent two days exploring the culture in Wakefield.

Kiwimum went to the Hepworth museum today. I didn't. I don't do contemporary art. Apparently I made the wise decision.

We have been to Trinity Mall...Shudder!

The Chantry and Cathedral were super, and there are some lovely warehouse buildings.

The Ruddy Duck is a 'two for one' that serves a lovely pint of Shipyard Independent Pale Ale.

Edited by Kiwidad

Well we have spent two days exploring the culture in Wakefield.

Kiwimum went to the Hepworth museum today. I didn't. I don't do contemporary art. Apparently I made the wise decision.

We have been to Trinity Mall...Shudder!

The Chantry and Cathedral were super, and there are some lovely warehouse buildings.

The Ruddy Duck is a 'two for one' that serves a lovely pint of Shipyard Independent Pale Ale.

I worked in the centre of Wakefield 20 years ago, and rather enjoyed the place. Last year, whilst working in Tingley, I needed to pop in to Wakefield to go to the bank.

I was shocked by the sheer scale of its decline.

I worked in the centre of Wakefield 20 years ago, and rather enjoyed the place. Last year, whilst working in Tingley, I needed to pop in to Wakefield to go to the bank.

You'll find there are thousands of boozed up, intrinsically challenged young folks that think it's 'A ace place' - where one can get totally inebriated in a vast and unwholesome array of licenced premises, throw up on the pavement outside and follow up with a kebab - every night of the week.

You'll find there are thousands of boozed up, intrinsically challenged young folks that think it's 'A ace place' - where one can get totally inebriated in a vast and unwholesome array of licenced premises, throw up on the pavement outside and follow up with a kebab - every night of the week.

Westgate was always a place to go out for a drink, to the extent that even in the midst of winter it was warm in the street at night, but from the rose tinted viewpoint of 20 years of getting older, I'm sure it was classier back then

Westgate was always a place to go out for a drink, to the extent that even in the midst of winter it was warm in the street at night, but from the rose tinted viewpoint of 20 years of getting older, I'm sure it was classier back then

You're not wrong, Dave - - I lived in a rather pleasant village on the outskirts of Wakefield nearly 40 years ago.

Starting a family, it was ideal, really good schools, there was greenery and facilities, good hospitals, excellent transport links and not a particularly high crime rate.

It has now, from my infrequent observations, become a sesspit

I was brought up on the L&L canal, and love it, but agree with TC about the gates on the Wigan flight. I have had a few soakings when going through those locks with our 57ft boat.

Try going to Chester in a 71'6 boat. Especially when you realise all too late that you need to lift the rear fenders to get out.

Other than that though I have no problem with leaky top gates - just stand on the step and shut the doors behind me.

It has the most gorgeous Town Hall though.

When in Wakey, don't miss Fernando's Brewery Tap (one of the best boozers in the country) and the famous Wakey Pie Shop.

and if you need a memory matress the memory foam wharehouse is hard to beat, we got one for the dog house for a good price from there.

The saddest thing is the decline of the market - they moved it to this covered canopy thing near the bus station. It's tiny now and a shadow of it's former self. I studied for my A levels there 86 -88. It was a great place back then. Then there was the 10p a pint night at rooftop gardens. Our main boozer as students was Henry Boons

As I SAID leaky gates can happen anywhere I'm just recommending that one doesnt get a boat at the max length for the canal and as the Op has a 52' long boat he might be best to stick with it if he goes North. If it makes you feel better I would also recommend that they don't go above 65' if they stay south for exactly the same reason.

You seem to think everything I say is an anti northern rant - get the chip off your shoulder.

TC

I have always been up north apart from 7 months wandering all over the system my boat was 60 foot and had no problems with any locks. You can go katy corner on wide locks and I didnt remove my fenders so enjoy that extra room and visit our lovely big deep waterways and remember all the dragons have gone from the trent..............................................................................the hagurs got them ha ha

Peter

Try going to Chester in a 71'6 boat. Especially when you realise all too late that you need to lift the rear fenders to get out.

Even worse, try sharing with another 71'6" boat going down only to find that even with fenders up neither gate will open and you have to refill the lock and take one out.

Of course, now I am a Josher man I am good company for any GU boat heading that way at Easter:-)

George ex nb Alton retired