Great bedwyn

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi .

I have just bought a cabin cruiser and am sailing it to Liverpool from the K&A,I have no idea about electrics /engines etc my mate travelling with me for a few days has helped me get through the caen hills locks,[[ he drove , I locked, and I ache badly now, however ]] anyway he knows a little about elecs, it had an invertor1500 on it but wasnt connected up properly and also a paloma heater. The paloma heater pissed water out of the bottom of it so have shut that down and isolated it.Water gets boiling off the engine anyway, so dont know why you would have this fitted.The boat has 240v plugs for shoreline hookup[[although does not have the extension cable]]. Anyway woke up this morning and batteries completely flat, so mate has gone to get a genny to start battery[,[he has one in his car back at cain hill]] So he has completely disconnected the inverter and the heater, so when batteries are charged we will be on our way, if anyone has any comments or advice on this and not to technical I would be interested, however I need to get to great bedwyn to meet my g/f on saturday is the cross keys in great bedwyn still open for hern to wait in. I think when I get to newbury might try and book it in for someone to sort boat electrics out properly, the inverter and heater seems a waste in this size boat so wonder why they were put in there all new and unused. Cheers for any comments

Ahh THANK YOU. i WILL GET THAT SORTED WHEN i GET IT HOME, the person I bought it from doesnt know cos its her ex who sorted the new eleccy and fit out she just wanted to sell it when they split but it has not had a lot of use since in last two yrs, any questions i asked were im not sure i dont know, but looked nice so i bought it anyway, but problem iis getting it home as a holiday not a pain in bum

Enjoy the Cross Keys, good beer and good food, especially if you are veggie.

Not sure who you will get to help you in Newbury, and mind you don't end up with a big bill..

I would ask around at Bedwyn, maybe approach the people who work at Bruce trust...both Sean and Ollie know about boats.

..........Dave

Hi well engine keeps over heating, so have stopped at wooton rivers at the royal oak, have done the usual oil water filters so i have been told to change thermometer in engine er er anyone know an engineer around here

Edited by Timx

Overheating ? As its a Cabin cruiser is it keel cooled or raw water cooled ? if raw water, may just be weed/mud blocking the intake, should be a "mud box" in the inlet somewhere which you can clear out, & restore proper cooling.

Is Rich still doing surveys Chris?

George Gibson has retired, Honeystreet wharf is now run by the owners of the moonboats hire fleet, but still doing pump outs and selling fuel. Rich is now a continuous cruiser and his main income is from his DJ work! He still does some marine engineering, mostly fit outs I think.

.............Dave,

The paloma heater pissed water out of the bottom of it so have shut that down and isolated it.Water gets boiling off the engine anyway, so dont know why you would have this fitted.

Presumably it's there simply as another method of heating water. I have a calorifier heated from the engine and a gas water heater too. If you're away from shore power a hot calorifier will only last for a day or two so if you're moored up somewhere for a week and have a paloma it means you don't need to start the engine to get hot water.

It's always good to have different independent systems on a boat - if for some reason you were stuck and couldn't start your engine you'd still have hot water for washing, etc (assuming the heater works of course!)

Edited by blackrose

raw water checked and re checked filter

well think im fcked, thanks for comments, will ask around unless anyone knows any other forums which might help

You obviously know it now, but I think the problems you're currently facing are a result of trying to move a boat that hasn't been touched for years and expecting everything to work properly. It's not going to help you, but for anyone else taking on a neglected boat, it's wise to spend some time servicing the engine, checking all the systems and getting an understanding of how it's all supposed to work before you actually try to go anywhere.

Yeah well I think some crap has got into the engine as there is very little water coming out of the exhaust so need someone to flush it out somehow,as I said the filter is clear. I will need to get new batteries both batteries seem at there end.Trouble is its Saturday and cant do nothing to Monday the lady in charge at honeyst isnt answering and devizes cant get out till monday, so decided to leave it where it is on a 24hr mooring and go to newbury for the weekend, but what else can one do..I realise I may have problems getting it back, but that was the gamble and looked a good opportunity to do a one way long trip.If I can get the engine sorted and get a new starter and leisure battery , should be ok lol

If I join a marine rescue service will they come out to a problem i have now before i join them

Ahh THANK YOU. i WILL GET THAT SORTED WHEN i GET IT HOME, the person I bought it from doesnt know cos its her ex who sorted the new eleccy and fit out she just wanted to sell it when they split but it has not had a lot of use since in last two yrs, any questions i asked were im not sure i dont know, but looked nice so i bought it anyway, but problem iis getting it home as a holiday not a pain in bum

I hope it was hers to sell, It could be the start of another missing boat thread.

Cabin cruiser? Bought West of Devizes? Why not take the shortest route, via Severn and the Shroppie?

four reasons is ,no way sea, and not insured ,also bath locks are shut, and bought boat to travel not to get it home quick , could of lorried it for that, but thanks for the idea.

any phone numbers would be of a help

if i have diagnosed it right is it just a question of poking something through to clear it or is it more complicated

If you are right that the sea inlet and strainer being clear and if you are correct that it is direct cooled then at present my money would be on a failed raw water pump (Jabsco - the brass thing with two connections) impeller having failed. If it has lost any "wings" they can block elbows in the cooling hoses and any oil coolers or heat exchangers that itedmay be fitted.

After that things may get expensive.

Edited to add - pity I am way up at Harlston Junction at the moment other wise I would have come to have a look at Newbury.

Edited by Tony Brooks

If you are right that the sea inlet and strainer being clear and if you are correct that it is direct cooled then at present my money would be on a failed raw water pump (Jabsco - the brass thing with two connections) impeller having failed. If it has lost any "wings" they can block elbows in the cooling hoses and any oil coolers or heat exchangers that itedmay be fitted.

Edited to add - pity I am way up at Harlston Junction at the moment other wise I would have come to have a look at Newbury.

Yes I think your right, I have three numbers to ring tomorrow to see if i can get it looked at

ow a new pump looks expensive plus getting someone to fit it

batteries changed, new impeller,still no water coming out of exhaust,oh well, the challenge continuesw, joined canalriver rescue at least

Outside chance but I once had a problem with the stop cock on my raw water inlet. I thought I had it fully open but it turned out that there was a snag - a litte more force allowed several more turns.

BTW, as the cock is before the filter it is also a restriction where an object could lodge.

Don't forget Tony's other point about broken pump vanes blocking the pump outlet, especially if your old one had any missing.

A simple test is to remove the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump and blow down them - maybe sanitise them first.

This should be easy, result in gurgling of the air through the water and may even disldge an obstruction.

Alternatively, attach a bilge pump to each of the hoses in turn but be aware that you could pump water into the cylinders!

It may help if you say what engine you have. My experience is of a Vetus M3.10 where the pump is driven from the end of the camshaft - I once had the drive link from cam to pump fail.

GL, Alan

Hi well man came and changed the impeller in water pump, [it is indirectly cooled raw water],but although there is water flowing out of the exhaust, not a lot, and engine continues to overheat, he reckons way the previous owner has pumped the water to top of boat and back is strange and tubes seem too small and they dont get hot mystified him, so decided to give up and ship boat back to where i live and get it looked at properly, just going to limp it slowly to a boat yard slipway and get it lifted.ah well

Hi,

Have you checked the intake hole?

Had a problem in the past where filter was clean but intake was blocked. Took the pipe off inlet and still no water, had to use a large screw driver to clear the blockage. One word of warning, if this is the problem once you clear it you need to be quick getting the pipe back on or risk flooding the boat.

well fixed as far as it stops overheating,there was some impeller in the tubing, and a poke with a big stick cured a blockage, which i think was main problem, wish i had sorted it a week ago, but now have to stick it on a truck as running out of leave, thanks to those who gave me proper advice it was helpfull in making me think